• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiple Attacks - What should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I've had four attacks from the same IP address in the last couple hours - some connection from Austria, according to Norton Firewall. Is there anything I should do, or is this pretty normal?

Whenever someone attacks I think Norton blocks that IP range for 30 minutes. The weird thing is - the IP is changing, but the location and ISP stay the same.

I assume it would be fine to just ignore it, it might not even be an attack; I have heard that Norton Firewall has lots of false alarms. If you computer does end up acting strange then you should run a virus scan.

Alright, I wouldn't be surprised if Norton does like to make up stuff...just to make you feel more secure. :D

I'll just ignore it then, and keep everything up to date. Thanks!

I don't use Norton Firewall...I like Sygate Personal Firewall as I can block addresses very easily by adding advanced controls.

You CAN block in Norton...but it has been a year since I used Norton Firewall. I would block his address...but are you sure it is something coming in and not going out? A worm would go OUT and check different IPs like this

With software firewalls, "Attacks" is a very silly word. An "attack" according to most software firewalls, can be considered something as little as a ping, or other, normal traffic.

If you are getting the messages, that means that the firewall did it's job.

Every time I see one of those, I think: "Yay! Look at me, I did my job! Pat yourself on the back, I was worth the money! I stopped vicious people on the internet from hacking your computer!"

There's generally nothing to worry about. What you have to worry about is the stuff that you don't get messages for. If you still want to feel safe, block their entire subnet for a day or two.

Every time I see one of those, I think: "Yay! Look at me, I did my job! Pat yourself on the back, I was worth the money! I stopped vicious people on the internet from hacking your computer!"
Yeah, that's the impression I got. I didn't have any problems when I didn't run a firewall. Now that I do, I get a couple alerts every day. Part of me says "Wow, I wonder how bad it was without a firewall! :eek:"

The other part tells me that I'm falling for a little bit of clever marketing. :D

Back