• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiplier Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

On my i7 920 I have the freq set to 181x21.
In my Bios I can set the multi to 21 but I have Turbo mode dissabled.

CPUZ and Real Temp both show 181x21 for 3.8ghz.
Now Windows shows 3.62ghz which would be a 20 multi...

Im guessing Im really running a 20x multi but CPUZ and Real Temp are off somehow.

Whos right?

Bobnova

Windows often assumes that the CPU multi is whatever the CPUID says the stock multi is.
It shows my [email protected] as something in the 4.2ghz range. Sadly, it's wrong, and CPUz is correct.

OP
onefstsnake

onefstsnake

Not sure Ive always had Turbo dissabled.
I fold with all 8 cores so Turbo wouldnt help much.

Yep I have the latest CPUZ.
Just incase I changed my feq to 191x20.

Windows now shows 3.81ghz

I didnt think it was possible to have a 21x multi with Turbo mode off.

Last edited:
OP
onefstsnake

onefstsnake

Im not sure I could do 22x multi.

Somehow going from 181x21 to 191x20 caused a BSOD...

I upped the vcore a hair to 1.28v

OP
onefstsnake

onefstsnake

After doing some reading it looks like the 920 with Turbo on will do a 21x multi on 2-4 cores and sometimes a 22x multi on 1 core.

After setting the freq to 191x20 my folding hasnt changed a bit. Which I should notice something if I raised the freq .2ghz

Also ran SuperPi and had similar results.

Amtrak

In regards to your original post, Windows, along with many other programs, merely assume you are running on your stock multi (or at least they don't account for anything above the stock multi). That's why your initial 181x21 was showing up as 3.6GHz. CPU-Z and RealTemp are not off, they're accurate.

You aren't noticing any difference in folding after changing to 191x20 because you are still running the same 3.8GHz as before.

OP
onefstsnake

onefstsnake

Really what im trying to get at is in my bios I can set the multi to 21 with Turbo dissabled.

I thought only Turbo mode enabled the 21 multi. I have Speed Step dissabled as well.

Amtrak

Some motherboard manufacturers include a workaround of sorts in some of their BIOSes that allow you to use the 21x multi as if it were a regularly available multiplier. Since the 21x multi is reserved for turbo mode, basically all you're doing is forcing the CPU to run in its turbo state all the time. Turbo mode is disabled because you're already forcing it to run that way indefinitely.

OP
onefstsnake

onefstsnake

Well I manually dissabled Turbo mode. It wasnt dissabled in the Bios from me setting the multi to 21.
Ill see tonight what happens to the multi with Turbo on and multi set to 21.