• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin 3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

i'm building a new computer, and i'm stuck on the amount of ram. i'd like ot get 1X512 Mushkin black level 2 (BH-5) pc3500, then get another when i can afford it.

i may be abel to afford it when i get the first, depending on a few other tings.

However, in an athlon, dual channel doesnt gain that much speed. would 1 gig be worth it? would this be better for newer games? (i'd like to not have to upgrade to a new computer in 2 or 3 years to play a game)

Also, wouldnt a BH-5 on pc3200 be about the same as a bh-5 on pc3500? the same mushkin at 3200 is just a few bucks cheaper, but if its the same chip, why not?

Jognt

All round good guy
the speed problem is also bugging me lately, so i cant answer that one till i know :)

1 gig of RAM isnt yet needed, but with games like Doom III and HL II 1024mb of RAM will almost be a necesity (sp?) to run them... so it would be wise to get 1 gig...

on intel rigs dual channel gives almost 75% performance gaines, i dont know what this is like with AMD rigs, so just wait for an AMD'er to come by and answer that part :)

OP
Como

Como

Heh, can-do. Thanks for the speedy reply, but i know that the gain for an amd is at least under 10%. any idea how much ram hl2 and doom3 will require? i'd like to know, i cant wait to play doom3 :)

Jognt

All round good guy
i think they will require at least 512mb for texture storage... those engines are pretty big, so having 512mb, with 128/256mb taken by windows and other proggies, that would leave 256mb for games... so i think youd need 1gig to have sufficient RAM availeble...

ill see if i can dig up some system specs for Doom III and HL II

edit:
MINIMUM specs for Doom III
The developer has revealed that its highly anticipated first-person shooter will function on a system with 1Ghz CPU, 256Mb RAM and a GeForce 1 or Radeon 7 series graphics card.
source

im not able to find any HL II specs atm, ill look more for you, but the Doom III MINIMUM specs are above :)

Last edited:
OP
Como

Como

thanks, so basically a 2.4 GHZ w/ 64 megs GF3 and 512 ram would be real world minimum...thanks!