• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Wont Run @ Rated Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
As the title goes, no mater what I do it wont run @ its rated speed of 3500 (216). Ive tried everything: voltage, timings, you name it. It ALWAYS fails horribly on Test#5 Someone plz help me. This is the second time I have had problems with RAM.

The first stick was simply defective (generic). So I bought Mushkin. Now that ive done the pin mod I can finally run it at 216, but NOOOOOOO. my Ram yeilds errors (by the thousands) in Memtest86 if I go beyond 208.

Yet I can run 2-2-6-3-1 @ 208 just fine!!?!?(3500L1 Black) .....Ive tried EVERYTHING upping volts to both RAM and CPU...nothing helps. Im running out of options!!:mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but VIA mobos don't have pci/agp lock. So i *think* those frequencies (pci/agp) must be pretty high at 216. Unless the mobo in your sig is not the one you're currently using.
*If* you've upgraded to an nforce2 mobo, maybe you're just unlucky... my ram won't run@215 2-3-3-11 timings even at 2.8V, and i don't feel like cranking the voltage all the way up to 3V just to get 215~200.
I noticed that's the lvl1 stick. Maybe you can try the new lvl2 sticks, they seem to be doing high fsb with tight timings.

Last edited:
Correct. If you've got a VIA motherboard (or anything that's not nForce2) then you're really lucky to have gotten as far as you have.

If you do have an nForce2, then contact Mushkin about getting a replacement stick.

man those aren't good fsb's to be at. you are putting a TON of stress on ur gfx card. i would lay off and get an nforce2 board if u want high fsb's. personally i wouldn't go higher than 175 fsb without pci/agp locked.

My PCI is only @ 34 ATM. Raising to 210 brings it up to 35. and 220 ~ 38.

I dont think that alot of stress. Considering my old POS RAM could go all the way to 39mhz(@ 266native / I pin modded to get 400). Although that was with my old 5200FX. Im just really confused why my Comp wont OC the FSB any higher.

I guess its cuz its my memory controller (i guess) or its my new Radeon. Im really confused. My max voltage goes to 2.8v. That dosnt work.

I guess its my Vid card that limiting me..but would that show up in memtest? I dont get artifracting from 3mark2k3 but I do get RAM errors (video stuttering).

Too wierd....I guess its not my RAM considering I can run it @ very aggressive timings (beyond spec) @ 208. <sigh> I was hoping to break 215. Many reviewers of this MB have gotten past it without problems.:(

**** I guess I'm gonna have to get a NFS-2.__ afterall. I was hoping to avoid another upgrade...

Thanx as always, If anyone has another suggestion Im all ears, Im willing to try just about anything. Ironically my RAM is the only thing that still has its warrenty:D

My comp has always acted wierd since day b4 i OCed it. I guess its one of those things...:( Any suggestion on RAM timings. Im having difficulty getting past 2-2-6-3-1

Last edited:
....One mor thing pplz what is you MB/s in memtest???

Mine reports in @ 841 MB/S

This seems unusually low, Ive heard that ppl get well over 1k @ 215. But mine barely grazed 915. (+ unstable as hell)

Just ran 3dmark01 and only got 16,888
Whereas my 3dmark03 was about 6050

Im startin to thing that my MB is defective. Is this possible or is this normal?

Last edited:
:( :rolleyes: Oh....great....just...***** GREAT:mad:

I guess my MB is ****** up

OMG Somethin is SERIOUSLY wrong. Im a n00b with mem settings can someone spell it it clearly so I can set it in the BIOS..thnx...this is turning out to be a bad day...

I got myself a baaaad feeling that this has alot to do with the Pin Mod..... Im undoing it now b4 i break somethin

Last edited:
Final update...thnx for the help. It was the Pin mod. My FSB OC jumped a bunch when i undid the Pin mod. Im gonna re try it later. thnx

I needed a Pin mod to et to 200FSB(wire/socket). Once I set it back to the native 266, I got a whole lot better OC vs the 200. ie 133 went up to 155; vs 200~210.

I guess the Pinmod is screwin up my Mem controller. Oh well next upgrade is a NF7

Back