• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Music organization

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Martel

I have spent hours organizing my music collection in digital form on my computer. I use Creative Media Source 5 and truly like the program, my only small complaint is that I have duplicate songs because some songs were put on multiple albums. Anybody know of a way to fix this issue? Is there a program that will allow me to tag multiple albums to a single song? I am not holding out much hope here, but figured it was at least worth asking. Thanks for any help in advance. :thup:

OP
Martel

Martel

OMG. :eek: I just figured out a way I could do it.... I would have to create a playlist for each album, add the songs, then cleanup the organizer. Please someone tell me there would be an easier way to do this!

Mpegger

Currently there is no way as that would involve changing the current method of tagging tracks as well as players to be able to read the tags properly. For instance, MediaMonkey allows me to tag a track with multiple genres, but most portable players will only read and use the first genre. Heck, MediaMonkey even has the option to automatically strip everything but the first genre when transferring to a portable because some portables may not even be able to read the track at all just because of the extra genre(s) instead of ignoring them.

OP
Martel

Martel

Maybe I will just delete all the duplicates and keep 1 track for each song. Its not like I specifically listen to the albums per se. I'll give it a couple of days and mull it over. Thanks for the input guys.

curtis1552

I do know that Itunes will detect 'duplicates' but you have to manually delete them and (if necessary) check the path through the properties to make sure you're deleting the one you want to delete.

I've been searching off and on for a program that is good at duplicate removal for years. Maybe I should learn to code.

OP
Martel

Martel

Getting rid of the duplicates is great, but I would like to get rid of the duplicates while keeping the albums intact. I like being able to look at albums without having to grab a cd case for the track list. None of this is direly important, I have the room to spare, just thought if there was a program that did all that would be very cool. Whether I would switch is iffy, I really do like Creative's media player.

Mpegger

Give MediaMonkey a try and you might change your mind. I've all but ditched WinAmp (I still use it for streaming music) because of how great its organizer and tagger works (embeds the album pic[s!] in the mp3 itself). Its sync options are great too. I can create custom sync profiles for whatever I happen to be synching to, whether its my 30GB Zen, 16GiB SDHC card, or my 8GiB Zen X-fi.