• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 1100t gets very hot what should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I sold it because I decide it wasn't that much faster than my 960T and I could get around $200 for it and than upgrade other parts.

I never really stress tested the 960T. I had it unlocked to 6 cores and auto overclocked to 3.7 and the temperatures I think hovered around 49 degrees with the stock cooler, which is really small. I am at school right now so I can't do anything.

I never really stress tested the 960T. I had it unlocked to 6 cores and auto overclocked to 3.7 and the temperatures I think hovered around 49 degrees with the stock cooler, which is really small. I am at school right now so I can't do anything.

That is about what I guessed was a possible situation. You really don't know what the 960T was doing while unlocked and overclocked with an overclocking genie of some kind. You never put the 960T to work with a stress program like Prime 95 in Blend mode.

I would put the 960T back in and put the CM 212 on it and UN-lock the cores and then prime it just like you just did the 1100T and see if the CPUTIN goes over 60c. If it does not then the 1100T has a problem.

Here are pictures of the thermal paste that I just took, going to following your advice and put on the 960T
image.jpg
The thermal paste doesn't look spread out, I used the pea-size method gonna do the 2 lines like Trents suggested.

Last edited:
Okay, so I replaced the 1100T with the 960T and I did the same thing as before. Take pictures of the CPU-Z tabs then take a picture of the temperatures and then run prime95 for like 10 minutes and take a picture of the temperatures.
CPUZ no overclock cpu tab.PNG
CPUZ no overclock memory tab.PNG
CPUZ no overclock spd tab.PNG
HW moniter no prime95.PNG
HW monitor prime95 blend.PNG
The temperatures seemed high after prime.

Why is your HT Link Frequency so low at 1600M mhz? Stock is 2000 mhz. Looks like you still have Cool N Quiet enabled so that we can't really really tell what your vcore is set to in bios. I suggest disabling Cool N Quiet, Turbo, and C1E in bios and then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance to turn off the green stuff.

We also have no way of knowing what your core temps are because you have core unlocker enabled. What you should do is temporarily lock the cores back up and run Prime95 with HWMonitor open to see both core temps and CPU temps. Make note of the differential because that will stay the same when you unlock the cores again. Then you can do the math to figure the core temps from the CPU temp.

I think that the 1600 was from when I was trying to manually overclock with the 960T before I tried the 1100T and I had to lower the HT becasue I increased the multiplier or something like that so I reset the bios and turned C1E and Cool N Quiet(those were off before I reset the bios so I don't really understand what your saying about the vcore). So I locked the cores and ran prime95 for 10 minutes like before and I was surprised how low the temperatures were. Does it run that much cooler because of the only 4 cores or was it because of something else? I took all the cpu-z pics again to see if you guys see any reason why the temperatures were lowered by so much or if I changed something when I reset the bios.
CPUZ no overclock cpu  tab 1.PNG

CPUZ no overclock memory tab 1.PNG

CPUZ no overclock spd tab 1.PNG

HW monitor prime95 blend 1.PNG

Strike my earlier comment about Cool N Quiet being enabled. I said that because the vcore looked too low but I can see the CPU speed and multiplier in that same pic are not down-throttled when I look at it again so I was mistaken. When enabled, Cool N Quiet down-thottles CPU voltage and multiplier at idle. Yes, your temps withe the 960T are very nice. The 1100T must be bad.

So I decided to test the 1100T again. I applied the thermal paste with the 2 line method and ran prime95, here are the screen shots.
Here are the CPU-Z stats....
CPUZ no overclock cpu tab 1.PNG
CPUZ no overclock memory tab 1.PNG
CPUZ no overclock spd tab 1.PNG
Here is the before and after of HW monitor when I ran prime for 10 minutes
HW moniter no prime95 1.PNG
HW monitor prime95 blend 1.PNG
Here is a graph of the temperatures right when I started prime to about 4 minutes in...
Speccy temperature graph after 4 minutes of prime.PNG

Your CPU vcore rose from 1.32 to 1.45 under stress. Looks like you have an unusual amount of LLC being applied. On the other hand, your 960T vcore was like 1.28. Running an 1100T on 1.45vcore is likely to give you temps like you are seeing. What happens to temp if you turn the LLC off in bios?

LLC supplements the CPU voltage value you set in bios, particularly under load. The idea is that it gives you extra vcore when you need it for stability under stress but not at idle and light computing when you don't need it. It is a bios line item in some bioses but is hidden though functioning behind the scenes in others, and still other motherboard bioses don't implement it at all.

The LLC was set on auto so I disabled it and took the temperatures then I ran prime95 and did something else during the wait of 10 minutes I comeback and the computer is in sleep mode(goes on after 10 minutes) and look at the temperatures its INSANE did I damage anything the computer still works...
Before prime
HW moniter no prime95 2.PNG
After
HW monitor prime95 blend 2.PNG
I just feel lucky my computer didn't blow-up...

Edit: Why didn't the computer shutdown once the cpu temps got high?

I'm nearly positive that it's a software glitch. I get those all the time (for instance, right now HWMonitor is telling me that my CPUTIN has read 127 at some point, but I know it hasn't). However, your temps are certainly high.

I doubt that any component in your system could withstand temperatures of 100c+. That's pretty ridiculously hot.

Was that pic taken while still stressing your system?

Well I know for a fact that the AUXTIN and TIMPIN3 are messed up, but I am fairly certain that the temperatures for the CPU were not a glitz because the socket temperature and the core temperatures were both very high. Yes the temperatures were taken while the system was being stressed.

Some can get really really hot before they burn out, but of course if you run it with high temperatures close to it burning out it will reduce the life span of the chip.

Yes, the maxes for both are very high, but if you were still stressing when you took the shots, my guess is that the software "glitched", producing those high numbers. I say that because the current temps in that screenie are around 60, both socket and core. It doesn't seem logical to me that your temperatures fluctuate that much.

I'm not saying that your chip isn't running hot, because 60 at the core seems to hot for me, but it's doubtful in my mind that it's hitting 100.

Well what happened was that I was stressing it and then it went into sleep mode(I wasn't at the computer) then I came back and turned it on and it said it had gotten to 98 Celsius or what ever and because it was in sleep mode it had turned off.

Back