• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My +12V dropped frm 12.22 to 12.03

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxima88

I just replaced my generic 300w psu w/ a 400W 403Antec psu.
my 5V went up from 4.83~4.98 to 5.03 but my +12V went down
to 12.03 frm 12.22.
Is this something I should be concerned about and will it affect the stability of my system.
What components does the psu supply these 5V and +12V to?
Should I be concerned w/ the +12V drop?

The new power supply simply keeps the rails more "in spec" than that generic. I believe yours voltages should be within 10% to be considered "in spec" and the new power supply is only doing its job right. Your 12v and 5v go out to a lot of things... processor, fans, etc.... your cool... no worries.

I need to upgrade mine, could be main reason why I lock at 1400mhz.. will post but windows wont load totally..
my 5v sits at 4.81-4.87...

Im going to pull all my fans off the main PSU would that help this PSU out?? I am going to run them off an older PSU.. have a total of 7 case fans..

GravY said:
I need to upgrade mine, could be main reason why I lock at 1400mhz.. will post but windows wont load totally..

Im going to pull all my fans off the main PSU would that help this PSU out?? I am going to run them off an older PSU.. have a total of 7 case fans..

That would help your 5v if your fans are 5v ;) Most pc fans are 12v... so unless thats where your problem is, it would be useless to use another psu for them. Have you thought about a 5v rail volt mod for your mobo?

*EDTI*

PS... this thread should have been in Cases and Power Supplies.... just a heads up.

GravY said:

7 fans barely make a dent in the PSU. My 50CFM sunons use 4.3W, my 40's use 2.4W. Plus I THINK the fans run off the 12V line, not the 5V. Your 5V seems low but I don't think disconnecting the fans will raise the 5V. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Rail mod.. please explain?? I think I've seen this... is this where you take a red wire and attach right to the motherboard??

Ok, so if I do the Rail mod, would that help out on overclocking.. Like right now I can reach 1.33 and windows will load and run.. 1.4 it will post but a no go for windows..
again according to MBM5 my 5.v jumps from 4.8 down to 4.1

GravY said:
Ok, so if I do the Rail mod, would that help out on overclocking.. Like right now I can reach 1.33 and windows will load and run.. 1.4 it will post but a no go for windows..
again according to MBM5 my 5.v jumps from 4.8 down to 4.1

I would be suprised if it DIDN'T help you overclock. On my last mobo my 5v rail would drop to 4.7... if I overclocked even a little more... it would make it to windows... same processor and a different mobo and I can make it to that speed and some with no problems... my 5v rail NOW is 4.84 under load.

Back