• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 4P build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Here is what I have for my 4P Build:

On Hand:
CPU's: 4x Opteron 6276 2.3GHZ

Waiting to buy:
MB: SuperMicro H8QGi-F
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320GB SATA
DVD
Cooler: 4 Noctua NH-U12DO A3
Ram: 4 x 1GB per CPU
PSU:? needs to work with SuperMicro MB and case
Case: HAF 932
-----------------------

Make sure your PSU has 2 x 8 / 4-Pin EPS / ATX 12V connector. Your Mobo may take up to 3. You'll want at least 2 of them powered. If you want you can power the 3rd one with an adapter(Molex)

OKYWolf has a couple Silverstone Modular's for a nice price in the classies right now...you can't do much better! http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=325

I got my 1000W Silverstone from him. Its been rock solid.

Last edited:
And don't waste your money on the noctuas. Get some cooler master 212s and make and adapter for them. Saved me $80 a socket on my last two builds.

So as soon as I turn on the power, they will run at 2.6?

oh BTW these chips weigh 2.375 oz's (66.5 grams) each, 9.5 oz (266 grams) total.

Those 6276s will automatically OC to 2.6 ghz, they are nice chips.

The MB is on it's way, Question: What memory do you use for those that have the SuperMicro MB's? DDR3 ECC or Desktop mem?

Whitehawk: I have 32GB in both of my 4P rigs, but I don't know whether you really need that much or not. The Crucial memory looks good. It would give you 32GB for only about $12 more.

Fever: That memory looks real good, Cas 8 at DDR3-1600.

I do not know anything about the Noctua D90 heatsink.

The fan on the CM 212+ heatsink simply snaps onto the heatsink itself. This means that you can move the fan up or down some as needed to clear the RAM. I know it will definitely clear the heat spreaders on the G Skill RAM. I'm not sure about the Corsair RAM, because I'm not sure exactly how tall the heat spreaders are, but they look quite a bit taller than the G SKill.
cm212s.jpg

Question: Do you have to use quad channel mem or can you use dual channel mem on these server boards?
Just trying to save a few bucks :)

Back