• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 4P build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

I think I have returned every single one of my Crucial memory sticks for replacement. They do have a fast turn around time, but still, that doesn't say much for their
products.

So far I have not returned any replacements, yet.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
I do not know anything about the Noctua D90 heatsink.

The fan on the CM 212+ heatsink simply snaps onto the heatsink itself. This means that you can move the fan up or down some as needed to clear the RAM.

I have the D90 sinks and am also using RipJaws from G.Skill. I had to remove the spreaders from two sticks of RAM to get clearance with the D90 heatsinks. Because these sinks are overall shorter than the 120mm version, moving the fan up or down makes no difference... the clearance issue is with the heatsink itself in my configuration.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Quad will give you best performance, but you can always get dual and add the extra in a couple of months time
I must be out of touch...I thought all 4 slots had to be populated per CPU.:-/ If so, I could sell or donate 16GB of Ram.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
You're not out of touch Dave... there are actually 2 CPUs per Magny chip, each with a dual channel controller. If you slim down to 8 sticks of RAM you'll be running each cpu in single channel mode... and that will put a hamper on performance.

OP
WhitehawkEQ

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Computer 101

I have noticed gb, mb and kb used where GB, MB and KB should be used, lower case b is for bits, upper case B is for bytes. So 16GB is for 16 Giga bytes of memory, 16gb is for 16gb internet speed. But then most people, not even some computer techs know any more these days :) unless your 50 or older :rofl: like me. :comp::comp::chair:

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I have noticed gb, mb and kb used where GB, MB and KB should be used, lower case b is for bits, upper case B is for bytes. So 16GB is for 16 Giga bytes of memory, 16gb is for 16gb internet speed. But then most people, not even some computer techs know any more these days :) unless your 50 or older :rofl: like me. :comp::comp::chair:
So I'm scanning the posts in this thread and I didn't see any mistakes? Or was this a general observation?:D

I don't usually see folks in the folding not know the difference between 1(bit) and 8(byte).

The general forums its a little different...and mostly confusing phone data speeds. Which generally measure in bits.(Unless you set Speed test for Bytes)

If we go any further off topic we might fall off the edge of the earth...:p

OP
WhitehawkEQ

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
So I'm scanning the posts in this thread and I didn't see any mistakes? Or was this a general observation?:D

I don't usually see folks in the folding not know the difference between 1(bit) and 8(byte).

The general forums its a little different...and mostly confusing phone data speeds. Which generally measure in bits.(Unless you set Speed test for Bytes)

If we go any further off topic we might fall off the edge of the earth...:p

Hehehe, most in this forum do know their stuff, it's just a observation I'm seen on TV, some of the other forums and most people in general. Like on Time Warner Cable, they advertise 10mb internet speed as "10 megs" 10 megs of what? :)

Like some of the stuff that go on at Computer Stupidities :)

Anyway, back on topic, MB should be here any day, hopefully Mon, still looking for ram, I fould 4GB kit at Newegg for $46.99 but they are out :(

orion456

Question: Do you have to use quad channel mem or can you use dual channel mem on these server boards?
Just trying to save a few bucks :)

Quad channel ensures maximum memory speed and is recommended. However, currently FAH doesn't use much memory and I doubt the speed makes more than 10% difference in the final points - I have not seen this tested, but maybe someone has.

If you want to use less, I would go for one or two sets of quad channel and then just populate one or two banks. Later, you can always add more memory and get back to quad channel. Remember to mark each set so you don't mix them up. It is recommended that you populate all the banks equally and not just one or two with all the memory sticks.

If you go with dual channel, then you will have to buy all new memory to get to quad channel.

OP
WhitehawkEQ

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
This is from the manual I downloaded:

Memory Support
The H8QG6/i-F serverboard supports thirty-two (32) single/dual/tri/quad-channel,
DDR3-1600/1333/1066 registered ECC/Unbuffered ECC/non-ECC SDRAM memory modules.

Populating four adjacent slots at a time with memory modules of the same size and
type will result in interleaved (128-bit) memory, which is faster than non-interleaved
(64-bit) memory.

orion456

At present, my P4 is using less than 1GB per CPU for a total of 3.6GB out of 32GB.

Of course that could change in the future.

OP
WhitehawkEQ

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Get ready to wipe that drool off your mouth because it's HERE!!!!! :bday: :comp: :borg:

DSCN0474.JPG

I got the CPU's in too.

OP
WhitehawkEQ

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Well, I won't have to update the BIOS, it has the current BIOS 2.904 already :)

DSCN0476a.JPG

Fever

Oh yes you will, overclockers.com isn't called overclockers.com for nothing - there is a BIOS that will nicely fit that chip that will allow some overclocking fun!

+1!

Plus, the latest is 3.0 (which my board shipped with) :thup

Edit: Scratch that - You have a GL I have a Gi, my bad.

Last edited: