• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 4P build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

machausta

Not for long, but right now yes.

Well, that is sort-of what I wanted to hear. I want to build one of these 4P systems (I mean, who wouldn't?) but it looks like I'll have to go the route of buying a quad G34 board and upgrading it as funding allows to 4P. We're in the process of building one house and selling the other, so there isn't much 'extra' funding this year.

torin3

I sure wouldn't mind a bargain 4p setup later. It has many more uses than just BA_FAH. ;)

There is currently a fully setup 4P system in the classifieds here going for about 2/3rds of what a new one would.

Probably not enough of a bargain though.

SupereeDuperee

Pardon me for posting in a Very Very Old Post. I hope every one is doing well. I am in a jam with SM H8QGi-F Motherboard with 4x 6372 Opteron processor. Board has latest, 3.5b BIOS Firmaware. Motherboard runs fine with 1x or 2x CPUs. But once I put 4x CPUs, MoBo starts, FANs runs but NO BEEP or POST Screen.

With 4x CPUs, After half a minute of powering up the "DP1 - LED for IPMI Heartbeat" lights up, after another half a minute it starts Blinking. There is an On-board "DP3 - LED for Serverboard Power-On" which turns on for 1x or 2x CPUs but not when I put 4x CPUs.

I am using Corsair 1000 Watt Power platinum supply. I also added another 650 watt PSU with a Y-Power Cable. But same story. I have 16x DDR3 ECC Registered 1066MHz rams. They ALL work fine when run with 1x or 2x CPUs. With 4x CPUs I put 16x ram sticks in ALL "A" slots - per MoBo instructions. RAMs are quad rank, 1.35V.

I will really appreciate if I can get some help, thanks in advance.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Pardon me for posting in a Very Very Old Post. I hope every one is doing well. I am in a jam with SM H8QGi-F Motherboard with 4x 6372 Opteron processor. Board has latest, 3.5b BIOS Firmaware. Motherboard runs fine with 1x or 2x CPUs. But once I put 4x CPUs, MoBo starts, FANs runs but NO BEEP or POST Screen.

With 4x CPUs, After half a minute of powering up the "DP1 - LED for IPMI Heartbeat" lights up, after another half a minute it starts Blinking. There is an On-board "DP3 - LED for Serverboard Power-On" which turns on for 1x or 2x CPUs but not when I put 4x CPUs.

I am using Corsair 1000 Watt Power platinum supply. I also added another 650 watt PSU with a Y-Power Cable. But same story. I have 16x DDR3 ECC Registered 1066MHz rams. They ALL work fine when run with 1x or 2x CPUs. With 4x CPUs I put 16x ram sticks in ALL "A" slots - per MoBo instructions. RAMs are quad rank, 1.35V.

I suggest creating a new thread for your questions, in the appropriate subforum. It is much more likely to be seen that way.

OP
WhitehawkEQ

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member

ATMINSIDE, it's ok for him to post here. :)
SupereeDuperee, Check the sockets, make sure there are no bent pins, also 1000W should be fine. Are you using all 3 12V input connectors?
If not you may need to order an extra 12V cable for your 1000W PSU.
DSCN0509.JPG
DSCN0479.JPG

Last edited:

SupereeDuperee

ATMINSIDE, it's ok for him to post here. :)
SupereeDuperee, Check the sockets, make sure there are no bent pins, also 1000W should be fine. Are you using all 3 12V input connectors?
If not you may need to order an extra 12V cable for your 1000W PSU.
View attachment 209426
View attachment 209427

I will check on Bent CPU Socket pin and report back later.

Yes, I am using 3x 8-PIN CPU Connections. PSU has 2x 8-PIN cable. I bought 1 Y-Splitter from ebay and using that to Power #2 & #3 8-pin CPU Connections.

==== ADDITIONAL QUESTION ====
for 4x CPU Configuration Will 16x 16GB DDR3 ECC Registered Quad Rank 1.35V ram work? Populating all "A" Ram Slots?

OP
WhitehawkEQ

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
==== ADDITIONAL QUESTION ====
for 4x CPU Configuration Will 16x 16GB DDR3 ECC Registered Quad Rank 1.35V ram work? Populating all "A" Ram Slots?

It should, you may try swapping the ram around to see if you have bad ram, I had ordered a set of ram and 8 out of 16 ram sticks was bad, needless to say I sent all 16 back and ordered from someone else :)

edit: unless those are "Load Reduced DIMM's" you should get Dual Rank not Quad Rank.
NM, took another look at manual should be ok

Last edited:

SupereeDuperee

No cpu socket pin bent

I checked closely, as possible. Also using phone's zoom no visible bent pin on cpu socket 3 and 4.
Can't find way to post pic from phone browser. Will post pics from desktop later. 20200406_144029.jpg 20200406_143933.jpg 20200406_144020.jpg 20200406_143328.jpg

dfonda

Senior Golfer
This thread goes way back and my memory sucks...but wasn't there a jumper that had to moved on the SM MOBO's ?

I can't remember if the jumper related to how many CPU's

OP
WhitehawkEQ

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Have you tried swapping the CPU's to see if you have any bad CPU's?
Also, I see your not using a case, you can get a open tray type case for that MB at Spotswoodcomputercases.com I bet that brings back memory's :)

oh no jumper for number of CPU's on MB, I have same MB.

SupereeDuperee

This thread goes way back and my memory sucks...but wasn't there a jumper that had to moved on the SM MOBO's ?

I can't remember if the jumper related to how many CPU's

No, there is no jumper setting for CPU Count

Have you tried swapping the CPU's to see if you have any bad CPU's?
Also, I see your not using a case, you can get a open tray type case for that MB at Spotswoodcomputercases.com I bet that brings back memory's :)

oh no jumper for number of CPU's on MB, I have same MB.

I have a case, but I do not want to put the MoBo in a case until it is running perfectly. I do have additional 4x 2128 and 2172 CPUs (that are working/good) that I put in #3/4 sockets. That's why I did not swapped the CPUs.

Thank you both of you for giving your thoughts.

Last edited:

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I think now, the jumper was how I started it:screwy: Knew there was a jumper for something on my SM 4p:chair:

orion456

Did you try resetting the bios by removing the battery for a minute?

When you have 2 cpus and it boots properly, have you run memchk over night to be sure your memory is working properly? I have had memory go bad in these boards and it sometimes takes memchk a while to find the problem spot.

What OS are you using?

Have you tried using 3 cpus? or using 2 cpus and swapping out to be sure the cpus are working?

OP
WhitehawkEQ

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
I do have additional 4x 2128 and 2172 CPUs (that are working/good) that I put in #3/4 sockets. That's why I did not swapped the CPUs.

Did you mean 6128 and 6172? Also what I mean about swapping CPU's is thake CPU 1 & 2 and put them in socket 3 & 4, and same with CPU's 3 & 4.
I may be miss reading this but just in case, don't mix CPU's, exp: 6172 & 6128 is a no no.

Last edited:

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Holy thread resurrection! Hope you get this figured out... if not, I'll sell you my AMD 4P. ;) Project Quadteron in the sig if you're interested. It has 6174s... one of my Ryzen rigs crushes it in FAH cpu performance... so not worth the power anymore. :(

FWIW, I do not recall needing to change any jumper on mine for cpu count