• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 5v drops. Is that ok??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
This happens about once every day or two. Is that ok, or is something wrong?? :eh?:

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
ThePunkGeek said:
damn how low is it droping to? that don't look good to me

I’m not sure. My Asus probe pops up when it happens, but by that time it’s gone up again. The drop only lasts for a second or two.

ThePunkGeek

ThePunkGeek said:
that could be dangours for the pc i would consult HOOT about this problem and possible the 5v mod, but first PM HOOT.!

also the 5v is droping as low as your vcore (1.7 so i wouldnt that that is safe maybe a new PSU would be an option.)
Good Luck

Bull

I had a cheaper 250 watt power supply that used to drop like that in Asus probe for 1 to 2 seconds just like yours. My computer never had a problem though and I left it alone but I was still worried and I bought a new PSU, a 370 watt TTGI and it solved the problem. The only thing I can think of is the PSU is close to its limits and thats why it drops.

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Bull said:
The only thing I can think of is the PSU is close to its limits and thats why it drops.

It’s an Antec 400w and this is what it’s powering:

Asus mobo, XP 1800+, Voodoo 5, 80 and 40gig drives, DVD and CD-RW, SB live, DVD decoder card, modem, 2 120mm fans, 1 80mm delta, 6 80mm fans + one 40 and one 60mm, rheobus and a floppy.

Do you think that’s too much for it??

Oh, and it's also running four 250w pelts. :p :p J/K

Last edited:
OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Hmmm, not good. That’s the second time today. Grrr

Attachments

• 5v drop 2.jpg
    5v drop 2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 167

ThePunkGeek

damn i also run an antec 400 never had that problem if you still have warrenty on it you might want to return it that prob sounds bad to me

Bull

Try another monitor program like Motherboard Monitor 5 maybe it's a problem with probe. See if it does the same thing. That PSU should have plenty of power.

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Thanks, I'll try MM5 and see how it goes. I might look in to the warranty thing too. I just got it last month.

eobard

Give me a break Senior
My guess (and it's only a guess) is your power supply is flaking out on you. I'd swap in a different one and let it run for a few days to see if that solves the problem, if it does then I'd RMA the flaky one.

Bantre

I also have a Asus motherboard and use probe.
MY Voltages do not spike like that, but my FANS do.
It will show them jump for 4000ish rpms to 0 for a few seconds then back up, but the fans never budge at all in speed( can tell from sound).
It may simply be the Asus probe program.
I would try running MB5 for awhile and see if it repeats.

KingzKid

Registered
ok....after reading several posts about the +5v thing, I am beginning to get concerned about what MBM5 and SiSoft Sandra are reporting. My +5v constantly seems to fluctuate between 4.96 and 4.99. It is never above 4.99. My PSU is an Enermax 300W that came with the Enermax case. Is this a concern? I do overclock the CPU and have had it so for almost two months without any problems so far, but I am considering a more powerful PSU now.......???? Also, anyone know if the Antec 400W would be better than the Enermax 431W? I have heard mixed reports.

Yodums

Antec 400 would be a big job. Under the cover there are knobs which you can adjust the voltage for more! :) 400 watt is minimal for modern technology though.

lebe0024

I have the 431W Enermax for a few months. I don't have much load (just a 1.4 T-bird). Anyway, my 5volt line has hardly ever breaks 4.95 It usually fluxuates between 4.9 and 4.95 I never have any problems. I think it must be wrong, because I have a nice powersupply.

Iron Hawk

KingzKid said:
...My +5v constantly seems to fluctuate between 4.96 and 4.99. It is never above 4.99. My PSU is an Enermax 300W that came with the Enermax case...

I have an Enermax 320w and according to my digitaldoc5 it rarely goes above 4.99under full load, 5.00-5.03 semi-idle.

maxima88

my 5V stays at 5.03 until I o/c and run Prime95 torture test.
It then fluctuates between 4.96~4.99. Pretty good for 147fsb and running torture test.