• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 7.9L custom case with extreme cooling capability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
...by ultra SFF standards at least...

This is a design that I originally built by hand about 2 years ago, and recently had manufactured. Nothing on the market has good enough heatsink clearance at a compact enough size to satisfy me. My design trades the ability to take a full-size GPU in order to use larger pancake-style heatsinks, or AIO's, and have proper exhaust from the front.

This allows for either extreme quietness or extreme performance.

Complete dimensions are 108mm x 209mm x 350mm = 7.9L. First, I wanted to stay below 7L, then 7.2L, then 7.5L, and then I ended up here. So it goes.

The overall performance is ahead of anything else in its size class, at least until the new nVidia cards hit. Even though it's restricted to mini GPU's, it can still fit a Zotac 1080ti Mini, so even the GPU performance is close to as good as cases that allow full-size GPU's, for the time being.

SIf0bUil.jpg
7Rg9TGCl.jpg

I've stuffed two builds into it.

One is completely silent, with an i7 6700K @ 4.3GHz 1.15v, cooled by a Raijintek Pallas + Noctua P14S and Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini. The fans are set to max out at below 600 RPM, so even when running things like Furmark or AVX Prime95, it remains inaudible at anything farther away than a foot or so. You'll note that it uses a FlexATX PSU, which are notoriously loud. I get around this by removing the PSU's fan altogether, and wiring up a 92mm Nexus Real SIlent fan (15dto blow in through the back. It's been working great for 2 years in this arrangement.

Here's a gallery of the first build:

The second build offers close to the highest performance available on the market. It has parts taken from a rendering rig to become a mobile rendering rig. An i9 7960X @ 4.4GHz 1.2v cooled by a Corsair H90 + Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 with a Zotac 1080ti Mini. The cooling setup is good enough to handle the CPU dissipating 300W while still remaining around or below 90C, no delidding. This config could theoretically fit an SFX-L PSU in place of the FlexATX unit if the case were widened by a couple of mm, which is something I'm looking into.

Here's a gallery of the second build:

A 9900K with a healthy overclock shouldn't be a problem when the time comes.

That sir is pretty sweet, it be a shame if those pics disappear because they're not hosted on the site. hint hint. :D Nice build, seriously!

That sir is pretty sweet, it be a shame if those pics disappear because they're not hosted on the site. hint hint. :D Nice build, seriously!

Thank you, I'll move the pictures to the site in a bit. Btw, I went hunting through the stickies for such a rule and couldn't find it.

Not to mention that most of them were ones I've read already, and plenty from before even I joined. :eek:

It also doesn't have to be a rule. We are asking they are hosted here so the links do not go bad. We have tons of threads that are missing images because the 3rd party links were idle.

Perhaps a rule would help - good idea.......though few read them, LOL! :)

I used protocase. Overall, the pricing was reasonable, and the experience was pretty good. They did a botch a few small things.

Back