• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Albatron Turbo 4200 BLOWS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TheFrag said:
three letters.....................R....................M.............A...........

'nuff said

Originally posted by Funnyperson1
RMA

is the card guarnteed to oc? otherwise what are you RMA'ing it for? last i checked most compines to warrenty overclocking

drdingo21 said:

is the card guarnteed to oc? otherwise what are you RMA'ing it for? last i checked most compines to warrenty overclocking

from what i understand, Albatron does guarantee their Ti4200 Turbos to reach at least Ti4600 speeds....this is why they are so popular

Humm, if 9/10 buyers can't get the card to Ti4600 spec, there is something really wrong with Albatron. Do you guys think there are going to be a re-call for the card?

What can us buyer do? Since they promised Ti4600 speed, wouldn't this fall into false advertisment?
We need Flounder43's opinion on this:D

funnyperson1 said:

from what i understand, Albatron does guarantee their Ti4200 Turbos to reach at least Ti4600 speeds....this is why they are so popular
k gotcha ya :) i wasn't sure if it is then RMA it and don't even bother

look at newegg at the card. Firt thing it says in blue colors: Want ti4600 speed for the price of a ti420???? (or something along those lines)

Hi,

Although I agree that RMA should be the thing to do, it does not hurt to look at the heatsink contact and, if too short or misapplied thermal compound, reapply since this is *probably* the real cause for those core underclockers.

In my case, my MSI 4200 did out of the box overclock very well (core up to 315). Wanting some more, I installed a TT GF4 cooler, and when removing the HSF, I saw there was *too much* thermal compound. I removed it and installed the new HSF with a very thin layer of ASII. What was the result ? The card would no longer overclock higher than 295. Reason ? The core was not perfectly flat, and with a thick layer of ASII, all of it was making contact. A thin layer left a big 'hole' in the middle without contact.
So, not wanting to risk a 200$ card (at that time) by lapping the core, I finally reapplied a thick layer of ASII, installed the TT FG4 cooler, and again good overclocks!!!

Regards
FTC

i think that it is to risky to do what the guy above me said. It would make more sense to just RMA it.

Kato said:
Humm, if 9/10 buyers can't get the card to Ti4600 spec, there is something really wrong with Albatron. Do you guys think there are going to be a re-call for the card?

What can us buyer do? Since they promised Ti4600 speed, wouldn't this fall into false advertisment?
We need Flounder43's opinion on this:D

Actually, it is more of a warranty issue. By saying that the card will do a certain speed, they are warranting, or promising, that it will do just that. I don't know the specifics of how this card is advertised, but it is a simple rule that a advertisement or warranty must be true. If it says something as clear as a guaranteed speed, then that is what it should do.

If the card does not do that speed, it should be a simple matter to return it. I hope nobody has problems doing this, should you choose to do that.

i think that it is to risky to do what the guy above me said

..Definetly, if you are not comfortable with removing a heatsink (4 push pins) and looking at how good it does contact the core,.... please don't do it (or have it done by some one you trust on). I can however grant you that the operation is, by far, THE most common thing done around here (with vid cards or CPUs), and really easy to perform....

Regards
FTC

I did take off the heatsink. I cleaned off the massive layer of goop that they had, and applied my own layer of ASIII. The card still sucked. I am getting a new one sent to me though, so in a few days I'll let you all know if I'm still upset or not.

I took off the hs and its on there even and contacted.

lol Im getting artifacts in the default 250/552 clock speed. My rma to newegg got approved and I ordered a new one from googlegear, soon as that one gets here Ill ship the newegg one out...
I hope the one I get from googlegear works as well as all the reviews and testimonials Ive read.

damn i prolly should have done that seeing how i bet the new card i get from newegg will not be good seeing the recent results!!!!! please post here when you get the googlegear one to share how high it will go!

i've been eyeing this card for a while now, looks like the waiting upon more waiting was a good thing

I just got mine from Newegg on Thursday, and it's doing ok. 290/600 without any stability or artifact problems. Once I get better airflow through my case I'll probably be able to do better. 3dmark looped all last night without probs. It would crash on me often with 300 core and a couple times at 295, so I'm sticking with 290 for now. Sounds to me like a just a few bad cards slipped through Albatron QC.

Is this card also available in Europe? And then i mean the one that can reacht Ti4600 speeds.

I ordered an aopen aelus (regular) 128mb ddr retail card from newegg earlier this week. Got it for 137 shipped...which was not a bad price at all, and I knew ahead of time that it had samsung 4ns chips (it's not the gold version). It arrived yesterday, and well...my overclocking results were quite lopsided.

Using the 3.0.8.2 drivers and coolbits, I was able to attain 330 on the core but ONLY 492 on the memory. I noticed the memory chips are running quite hot to the touch, especially after gaming. No matter how much I back off the core, the memory will only run artifact-free at 492. This is all with stock cooling, and no heatsinks on the memory chips. Ah well :( . I guess I should be happy with a 330 core...but I just can't figure out how the memory could be THAT bad?
I'm happy anyways...btw I'm running a celeron 700@860mhz using 83fsb on an iwill vd133 board. Not quite sure what mhz that puts my agp card at...or if changing it would give me better results in overclocking memory. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh yes, last but not least...I could NOT get coolbits to work at ALL with the new 41.03's and XP professional. I even tried setting the registry value from (3) to (7)....no go. Screen would flash twice before and after setting the new speeds, but it didn't actually set anything. I know this because I put my card at 375mhz/700mhz and my 3dmark scores were the same.

any news?? please told me what happend with the cards, because I´m thinking to buy one at new egg, and the problem is that I´m from Argentina, and if I have to change it, is quite a problem. What dou you advice me?
bye and thx

Back