• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My AMD Sempron have turn into an AMD Athlon MP - Why???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

persson121

Hello.

I have an old computer. It's MSI K7D MASTER VER 1.
It has two CPU. The CPU's is an AMD Sempron Barton with Socket A.

I have the latest drivers for the BIOS, but still i get the message in startup "Main Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) MP 1500+ 1333mhz.

The problem is that it isin't my processor. I wonder why?
An AMD Sempron is more like 2.2ghz.

Do you know how to change so i can use the AMD Sempron CPU?

Here is some info about AMD Sempron and AMD Athlon MP:
L1-Cache: 64 + 64 KiB (Data + Instructions)
L2-Cache: 512 KiB, fullspeed
MMX, 3DNow!, SSE
Socket A (EV6)
Front side bus: 166 MHz – 200 MHz (FSB 333 – 400)
VCore: 1.6 – 1.65 V
First release: September 17, 2004
Clockrate: 2000–2200 MHz (Sempron 3000+, Sempron 3300+)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sempron#Models_for_Socket_A_.28Socket_462.29

L1-Cache: 64 + 64 kB (Data + Instructions)
L2-Cache: 256 kB, fullspeed
MMX, 3DNow!, SSE
Socket A (EV6)
Front side bus: 133 MHz (266 MT/s)
VCore: 1.50 to 1.75 V
Power consumption: 68 W
First release: October 9, 2001
Clockrate:
Athlon 4: 850–1400 MHz
Athlon XP: 1333–1733 MHz (1500+ to 2100+)
Athlon MP: 1000–1733 MHz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_MP#Athlon_XP.2FMP

/ Thank you!

"It has two CPU."

It is a server. Here's the link to download the user manual: http://www.msi.com/product/server/K7D-Master-Series.html#?div=Manual

Make sure you have the latest bios installed as well: http://www.msi.com/product/server/K7D-Master-Series.html#?div=BIOS

Perhaps something there will be of help. It may be that you need to change a jumper on the motherboard or change a setting in bios.

Yes, i've read the manual and update the latest BIOS drivers. The update of Bios went fine.

But are you sure that a BIOS from 2003 can use the AMD Sempron CPU who from 2004 and has the same socket? The motherboard is from 2001.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra details. If the CPU came along after the latest bios then the bios does not contain that CPU model in it's database. That's why it cannot correctly identify it an it is doing the best it can by giving it a tag that best matches what is in its data base of CPUs and it is also why it is downclocking it. Do you have manual overclock controls on the board or in the bios that will allow you to override the current CPU frequency and make it run at full spec for the installed CPU? By the way, the bios file is not a driver. The drivers are for the chipset.

Thanks for the extra details. If the CPU came along after the latest bios then the bios does not contain that CPU model in it's database. That's why it cannot correctly identify it an it is doing the best it can by giving it a tag that best matches what is in its data base of CPUs and it is also why it is downclocking it. Do you have manual overclock controls on the board or in the bios that will allow you to override the current CPU frequency and make it run at full spec for the installed CPU? By the way, the bios file is not a driver. The drivers are for the chipset.

Yes. I have a function in CMOS setup. There can i adjust Volt and FBS.
You can find it in the manual by the way.
I don't think i have a controllboard/controllerswitch on the motherboard. I don't see any.

But can I overclock the "AMD Athlon MP 1500+" to real AMD Sempron, as orginal?
I can use the "Pentrick". Do you know the pentrick?

Where did you get the CPUs? Some of those CPUs were "fake", where an older/slower CPU would be overclocked by pin mods or bridging and re-sold as the faster version.

Hit the nail on the head. Most dual socket A boards don't even support non-MP or Mobile processors for that matter.

You can't run non-MP CPUs properly in dual CPU configuration server/workstation boards.

Can you upload a CPU-Z validation, and screenshot as well?

You can't run non-MP CPUs properly in dual CPU configuration server/workstation boards.

I don't know what you're mean.
But here is som info:

Phoronix Test Suite v3.6.1
Interactive Benchmarking

System Hardware:
Processor: AMD Athlon MP 1500+ @ 1.35GHz (2 Cores), Motherboard: MSI MS-6501, Chipset: AMD AMD-760 MP, Memory: 2048MB, Disk: 41GB Maxtor 6E040L0 + 41GB Maxtor 6K040L0, Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x, Audio: AMD AMD-768, Network: Accton EN-1216

Where did you get the CPUs? Some of those CPUs were "fake", where an older/slower CPU would be overclocked by pin mods or bridging and re-sold as the faster version.

I did get it free from a good friend. He had also this problem, but he telling me that this computer has "two Bios". It's not acctuly two bios, but it are more likely a bios and a reset button for the bios.

Last edited:
I did get them free from a good friend. He had also this problem, but he telling me that this computer has "two Bios". It's not acctuly two bios, but it are more likely a bios and a reset button for the bios.

There is something called "Dual Bios" on some motherboards that gives you a backup in case the primary bios gets hopelessly corrupted.

CPU-z is a free program that reports lots of information about system hardware and settings. It's a standard tool around here. It would be helpful, perhaps for you to download and install it. Then run it and attach a screenshot of the tabs: "CPU", "Memory", "SPD" and "Motherboard" using the forum attachment tool that can be accessed by using the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. Then click on the paperclip tool at the top when the Advanced post window appears.

There is something called "Dual Bios" on some motherboards that gives you a backup in case the primary bios gets hopelessly corrupted.

CPU-z is a free program that reports lots of information about system hardware and settings. It's a standard tool around here. It would be helpful, perhaps for you to download and install it. Then run it and attach a screenshot of the tabs: "CPU", "Memory", "SPD" and "Motherboard" using the forum attachment tool that can be accessed by using the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. Then click on the paperclip tool at the top when the Advanced post window appears.

Yes, but i have Ubuntu :D
Don't worry. I will post a print screen in few minutes with CPU....G :bday:

6fowmp.jpg

Last edited:

Incorrect sir most will accept mobile Athlons as well, unofficially of course. But that's neither here nor there.

Yes, but i have Ubuntu :D
Don't worry. I will post a print screen in few minutes with CPU....G :bday:

6fowmp.jpg

We need info about the ram. I see there is a tab for that but you didn't display it for some reason. But you did give us two pics of the CPU tab! Show us a pic of the system tab as well, whatever that may reveal. Didn't realize you were running Linux.

What I would like to see is the frequency and timings your ram is rated for vs. what you are currently running it at. Unfortunately, "CPU-G" doesn't give nearly the info CPU-z gives in Windows it seems and all you have told us about the ram is the amount.

Tell me what you need to know.
root@ubuntu:/proc# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 2061476 kB
MemFree: 973900 kB
Buffers: 64744 kB
Cached: 523596 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 533144 kB
Inactive: 487036 kB
Active(anon): 432756 kB
Inactive(anon): 11156 kB
Active(file): 100388 kB
Inactive(file): 475880 kB
Unevictable: 0 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
HighTotal: 1183688 kB
HighFree: 204708 kB
LowTotal: 877788 kB
LowFree: 769192 kB
SwapTotal: 2096636 kB
SwapFree: 2096636 kB
Dirty: 108 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 431788 kB
Mapped: 125972 kB
Shmem: 12076 kB
Slab: 30664 kB
SReclaimable: 15924 kB
SUnreclaim: 14740 kB
KernelStack: 3400 kB
PageTables: 13732 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 3127372 kB
Committed_AS: 2737900 kB
VmallocTotal: 122880 kB
VmallocUsed: 15316 kB
VmallocChunk: 103812 kB
HardwareCorrupted: 0 kB
AnonHugePages: 0 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
HugePages_Rsvd: 0
HugePages_Surp: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB
DirectMap4k: 10232 kB
DirectMap2M: 903168 kB
root@ubuntu:/proc#

root@ubuntu:/proc# cat cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) MP 1500+
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1349.960
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 2699.92
clflush size : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes : 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts

processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) MP
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1349.960
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 2700.32
clflush size : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes : 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts

Notice that is 2 CPU. That's why im posted "dubble" CPU pictures.

Tell me what you need to know.

I think I explained what I wanted at the bottom of post #15: "What I would like to see is the frequency and timings your ram is rated for vs. what you are currently running it at."

To find that information in Linux, you want a kernel module named "eeprom", and the lm_sensors and i2c-tools packages. Look for a script named decode-dimms.pl and run it. If it doesn't work, try modprobe eeprom then run it again.

No Sempron Support...Only 100/133 MP processors.

Mainboard Specification Page #9 Section 1-2 of the motherboard manual.
CPU
Supports dual Socket A (Socket-462) for AMD Athlon™ MP processors
Supports Athlon MP 2100+ or higher

The MSI mainboard supports Single/Dual AMD® AthlonTM MP
processor(s).

From the same page #9 Section 1-2
Clock Generator
100/133MHz clocks are supported (266 MHz Internal System Bus)

Jumper JFSB1 For CPU Clock Frequency is used to set which clock is used on the Internal System Bus.

Q. > Does the motherboard support: ???

A. > NO it does not and never has. The motherboard only supports Single/Dual AMD® AthlonTM MP processor(s) with a system bus of 100/133 and not a Sempron system bus of 166.

End of story about supported Semprons.

Can you overclock the MP 1500+ that is in your cpu sockets now? Yes by some small amount with the MSI Fuzzy Logic lll application from within some versions of windows, but Fuzzy Logic lll cannot adjust cpu vcore for making cpu more stable.

In bios at page #72 and section 3-26 is CPU Host / PCI Clock and there the only choices that would overclock your MP 1500+ are: 133/33 Mhz, 138/34 Mhz, 140/35 Mhz, 144/36 Mhz and 150/38 Mhz. Which are very course settings and also overclock the PCI bus which is not locked on that motherboard to 33Mhz.

On the same page #72 is a menu option called CPU Ratio and IF yOUr MP 1500+ has an upward unlocked multiplier, you could overclock using a multiplier ratio higher than the default 10 of your MP 1500+ processor that is in the cpu sockets. Cpu multiplier tops out at 12.5 if the MP 1500+ EVEN HAS an unlocked upward multiplier. I do n0t know or cannot remember or again, never knew.

Of course to overspeed the MP 1500+ would likely mean you would have to go into bios option for increasing Cpu Voltage and do so if the Cpu speed were increased by much. Vcore setting option is >> CPU VIO/Vcore (V)
This item allows users to auto-detect or specify the CPU VIO/Vcore. Settings
are: 1.850 (V) through 1.100 (V), Auto.

Careful monitoring of temps would be a judicious idea if any overclock is actually doable. Be well.

Mainboard Specification Page #9 Section 1-2 of the motherboard manual.
CPU
Supports dual Socket A (Socket-462) for AMD Athlon™ MP processors
Supports Athlon MP 2100+ or higher

The MSI mainboard supports Single/Dual AMD® AthlonTM MP
processor(s).

From the same page #9 Section 1-2
Clock Generator
100/133MHz clocks are supported (266 MHz Internal System Bus)

Jumper JFSB1 For CPU Clock Frequency is used to set which clock is used on the Internal System Bus.

Q. > Does the motherboard support: ???

A. > NO it does not and never has. The motherboard only supports Single/Dual AMD® AthlonTM MP processor(s) with a system bus of 100/133 and not a Sempron system bus of 166.

End of story about supported Semprons.

Can you overclock the MP 1500+ that is in your cpu sockets now? Yes by some small amount with the MSI Fuzzy Logic lll application from within some versions of windows, but Fuzzy Logic lll cannot adjust cpu vcore for making cpu more stable.

In bios at page #72 and section 3-26 is CPU Host / PCI Clock and there the only choices that would overclock your MP 1500+ are: 133/33 Mhz, 138/34 Mhz, 140/35 Mhz, 144/36 Mhz and 150/38 Mhz. Which are very course settings and also overclock the PCI bus which is not locked on that motherboard to 33Mhz.

On the same page #72 is a menu option called CPU Ratio and IF yOUr MP 1500+ has an upward unlocked multiplier, you could overclock using a multiplier ratio higher than the default 10 of your MP 1500+ processor that is in the cpu sockets. Cpu multiplier tops out at 12.5 if the MP 1500+ EVEN HAS an unlocked upward multiplier. I do n0t know or cannot remember or again, never knew.

Of course to overspeed the MP 1500+ would likely mean you would have to go into bios option for increasing Cpu Voltage and do so if the Cpu speed were increased by much. Vcore setting option is >> CPU VIO/Vcore (V)
This item allows users to auto-detect or specify the CPU VIO/Vcore. Settings
are: 1.850 (V) through 1.100 (V), Auto.

Careful monitoring of temps would be a judicious idea if any overclock is actually doable. Be well.

Okej. This is the answer on the thread. Thank you!

I have to overclock the CPU then. I will we very happy if i got like 1.5ghz on each CPU.

Back