My ATI Radion 4870 X2 makes my room baking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

With great graphics power comes great power consumption.
Essentially, if you wan the speed of a 4870x2, you're stuck with that much (roughly) heat production.
A different card with the same power might run cooler, but it is putting the same amount of heat into your room.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member

A better cooling solution will do a better job of dissipating that heat into your room. :) The problem is the heat output of the card, not the cooler.

You could try underclocking/undervolting if you don't mind the loss of performance.

Amtrak

A better cooling solution will do a better job of dissipating that heat into your room.

This.

A heatsink works by transferring heat into the air, away from the heat source. Getting a better cooler will make the card run cooler by moving more heat into the air.

CGR

I think the only thing you would be able to do would be to WC it. Not sure there are any aftermarket HS's for the X2.

ascl

Does the 4870 underclock itself in 2D mode? Some of the NVIDIA cards do this, which will drastically reduce the heat output (and power usage) while surfing the web etc.

If you want to keep the card johan851's suggestion is really the only way (short of ducting the heat straight out of your room through a window? will look ugly but might work)

GrimX9

Although I have never even looked into WC'ing, I think that is your best option. You are pretty much guaranteed reduced heat output with WC'ing it.

hitokiri_808

Only option to cool down your room is to vent your computer exhaust out a window. A dryer duct or an outdoor radiator would work. Any type of water cooling or after market heatsinks will just heat your room more efficiently.

Conumdrum

Only option to cool down your room is to vent your computer exhaust out a window. A dryer duct or an outdoor radiator would work. Any type of water cooling or after market heatsinks will just heat your room more efficiently.

Yep, what he said^^^^.

Watercooling or any more efficient cooler just moves the heat to the air better. Your still generating the same amount of heat, your room will get just as warm.

Case in point, when I benched/stressed my sig rig after building it for 30 min, the house AC was at 80F, my PC room was 89F. And I got lots of watercooling.

johan851

Although I have never even looked into WC'ing, I think that is your best option. You are pretty much guaranteed reduced heat output with WC'ing it.
You didn't read the thread.

Does the 4870 underclock itself in 2D mode? Some of the NVIDIA cards do this, which will drastically reduce the heat output (and power usage) while surfing the web etc.
OP, you can see if your video card is underclocking when idle using a tool called GPU-Z. You can get it here. What does it say for GPU and memory clock and voltage at idle?

YourGreatestMem

I run EPU-6 which when running on Max Power saving changes the speed/performance of my ram, fan, chipset and CPU but it doesn't do my VGA when I click my VGA it says:

No VGA Detected, please install supported VGA card (VGA QVL htttp://event.asus.com/mb/six_engine/ ) or install and enable ASUS SmartDoctor

But I have have ATI 9.8 installed (latest version and it works) fine...

h0g.png

e78.png

Last edited:

johan851

You could try installing SmartDoctor like it says, but I have no idea what that would do.

It looks like it's underclocking, which is good. You could underclock a little more aggressively with something like Rivatuner, but it probably wouldn't make much difference over what it's already doing. It may give you undervolting options as well, which would make a little more difference.

Of course, you can underclock all you want, but you're still going to have trouble as long as you hang on to your 4870X2 Space Heater(tm). :)

jmdixon85

How small is your room? Surely a GFX card on its own can't put much heat into a room? My computer room is always warmer than the rest of the house but thats got my main rig, server and a Pioneer AMP & separates. The AMP takes over 530 watts of electric and puts out a LOT more heat than both my PC's put together.

hitokiri_808

In CCC under ATI overdrives it says the current 2D gpu and ram clock, and if you startup ATI tool it revs back up to full speed 3D.

johan851

The AMP takes over 530 watts of electric
Really? Are you sure? To be dumping 530w of heat into a room, that would be one ridiculously enormous Class A amp...

YourGreatestMem

How small is your room? Surely a GFX card on its own can't put much heat into a room? My computer room is always warmer than the rest of the house but thats got my main rig, server and a Pioneer AMP & separates. The AMP takes over 530 watts of electric and puts out a LOT more heat than both my PC's put together.

Well, my rooms quite big but its got two small windows (tehcnically illegal), because most cant get out of them but I can fit but lets say I couldn't get though if there was a fire outside my room I would just chuck something heavy like the weights in my room.

But its a really well insulated room, if i leave pc off the room will stay quite a good temperature for ages and stays nice and cool in the summer.