• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my block im makin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
what do you guys think of my new block that im gonna make, i only have a 3ds pic of it but ill make it in like 2 weeks....

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
do you guys know were i can get them little plugs for the holes? i wanna plug themthen grind the excess off so they are flush with the block...

Yodums

Nice looking block, although you probably need a pretty powerful pump to go threw all those chambers quickly while the water is cold.

JoeCrappa

I agree with Yudums. I think that those channels are way too small. They will restrict your flow and reduce cooling. Perhaps increasing the size of the channels would help. Or, you could just put more channels. Maybe, if you've got the proper tools, you can drill more channels that are closer together, for more surface area.

craigiz1

Yeah, just tap (thread) the holes that you want to close and use a hex head screw. They come in all sizes. (the kind you use an alan key for, it looks like a little plug) Just tap in as far as the screw is long and it will go in flush. Use some stuff called 'LockTight' on the threads, it comes in a little red bottle. You can get all this stuff from Ace Hardware, Home Depot or Lowes.
I hope you understand what I mean.

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
so you think that water wont flow thru them 1/8in holes? they are 1/8 apart so i really cant fit any more... but im sure i could use like a 3/16bit or maby a quarter inch.. what do you guys think?

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
maby i'd be able to fit 4 downfrom the center and 3 everywere else.... or maby just 4 down and the normal 2 then itll be like a v tuned block!

robertm

Use a larger size drill looks like you could go to 3/16th anyway even without moving anything else. Asl you could tap the holes all the way and then it would provide more turbulance.

MiseryQ

I had that same idea a couple of months ago... I was thinking the problem would be the flow... ANd trying to "V" tune it...

Would 3* 3/16" channels fit?!? If I remember right they would work out to close the area of 1* 1/2" channel...

Karsta

As an amateur I had difficulties in drilling long (about 6 cm) and narrow (4 mm) channels to copper. I managed to brake the drill bit inside the block so I moved to 5 mm bit rather than trying my luck again. So I think that although your design looks good it can be difficult to accomplish if you are not skilled and have good equipment.

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
i have all kinds of metal working tools to work with! mostly everything but a mill!

im takin a class called metals, and it starts monday!!!(not today next monday)

so ill have access to multiple drill presses, welders, bansaws chopsaws, the works! im just not sure if i can start workin in the shop the first week....

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
ok i updated the pic with 3/16in holes, and i think itll be good, i tried 4 comming out of the middle but that would make the holes about 1/32 apart... wich would be VERY HARD!

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
I liked the idea of tapping the holes all the way through. How about rifling them? That is what evaporator tubes use to increase performance by 50%. I'm not sure what kind of tool would be required for rifling. Perhaps some type of setup on a lathe and an etching tool.

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
i think ill tap it all the way thru! that should help a lot... maby a small thread size for my plugs then a big thread size for the insides...

Shroomer

member with no avatar
I hope you do tap all the way through. I have been planning a very simplified version of the block you're making for quite some time. Simply 2 - 1/4" holes drilled 1/8" appart, then tapped all the way through and plugged. Then just the barbs on top.

I WANT the flow restriction as it adds to the velocity of the water and the turbulance created. The idea for me is to have the water enter and exit in a very short time. I could not use mine with a pelt, though. You could easily with your design.

You will probably be done with yours before I get a chance to start mine. Perhaps try NOT tapping at first and just use teflon to seal the plugs. test it, then go back and tp the sucker. It'd be a good test. When I do get around to making mine I will be making 2 seperate blocks to compare.

The Overclocker

you ar every lucky - all i have is a drill, a large file, a dremel and some epoxy (the most important one) the design looks alot like the new design by morphling1 found here: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74666&highlight=spiral+sort+of , just implimented a different way.

The only thing i would be concerned with is the flack of flow though the two channels on the left side. the inner one will probably take most of the flow

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
Shroomer said:
I hope you do tap all the way through. I have been planning a very simplified version of the block you're making for quite some time. Simply 2 - 1/4" holes drilled 1/8" appart, then tapped all the way through and plugged. Then just the barbs on top.

I WANT the flow restriction as it adds to the velocity of the water and the turbulance created. The idea for me is to have the water enter and exit in a very short time. I could not use mine with a pelt, though. You could easily with your design.

You will probably be done with yours before I get a chance to start mine. Perhaps try NOT tapping at first and just use teflon to seal the plugs. test it, then go back and tp the sucker. It'd be a good test. When I do get around to making mine I will be making 2 seperate blocks to compare.

thats a good idea, im makin 2 maby ill tap one and not the other, but i know i wont be able to get the plugs out, im gonna cut the ends off smooth......

Shroomer

member with no avatar
Cool! Maybe you can write up an article and submit it to the main page and win some money! Hope it all works out for you.