• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer is being weird, laggspikes & freezes in multiple games, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quisari

Registered
My computer is being weird, laggspikes & freezes in multiple games, please help

okey so i decided to try and ask the amazing people on this website and hopefully some can shed some light on my issues.

So i do not know how to describe it the best and i will try to give you the best reply for your questions as i can ofc.

I am able to run chrome with like 30 tabs open without having any lagg or freezes that i have noticed so far but if i then enter any game my cpu runs around 30-70% usage normally depending on the game and i am often now getting cpu drops from between 30-70% usage to direct 0% and having issues getting back up to where it should be in order to run the game around 50-60fps. I tried the crew trial and i was running smooth for the first while when suddenly it start stuttering with 0.5 sec delay and up to the point of freeze screen though my music from the radio in my car was still running, i could tap out to my desk and shut it forcefully.
Now before you say "are you sure its not the game?" i have tried several other games like d3 and gta just for a short list where i have been able to run the games with minimal laggspikes(gta mainly laggs a small bit but not like this at all, D3 i have been able to run grift 61 with 2 other guys and storming through the horde of mobs and in the end having my entire screen filled up with mobs and aoeing them down, again minemal lagg that is accepted and is something you cant get around when pulling massive amount of mobs and doing aoe)
I got lastest nvidia driver installed, windows is updated, i even upgraded from win7 to win10 to see if it was an os error, after i upgraded i did a clean install on my ssd since win10 doesn't require the cd for the clean install(my win7 cd is in here somewhere... just not been able to find it yet:s)

i have tried running a few tests on my cpu and gpu with Heavyload(ran through night with cpu, ssd and gpu active and Burnintest free trial version where it ran 3x 15 min with cpu 100% load with max heat on, gpu with 100% usage as well, ram with 100% usage and both my ssd and hdd at 100% usage)

Heavyload didnt have a set timer to finish on it just keeps running but i have not seen any errors happend and burnintest free trial runs for only 15 min and after that either says not passed or passed and i passed with no errors.

I am currently thinking that it might be my ssd that is dying maybe but i have no clue at all
This pc is around 5 years old atm, with new ram and gpu within the last 1½ year i think
Here is my View attachment DxDiag.txt (sorry some of it is danish :/ )

Hopefully you guys can give me some new tips and tries for seeing if i can maybe get this pc running games again

Spec:
intel i7-960 stock(have been oc'ed to 3.8ghz stable through around 4½ years now and i just turned it off to see if it helped)
Corsair H70 hydro cooler
Intel® X25-M SSD 120GB 2,5" (now only got my os installed, anti-virus (avast free) and chrome)
WD Caviar® Black 2TB 3,5", SATA 6Gb/s (have not run a full clean on it since its housing all my games, movies and text files)
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W PSU
ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Socket-1366
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB PhysX
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 12GB CL9
Windows 10 (free update from win7, ran clean install after installation)

I'm currently running S.M.A.R.T. scan from speedfan on ssd and after that on my hdd, downloaded memtest86 and trying to figure out where i got some blank cds lying around.... if i atleast can find out where the problem comes from i'll be happy

Here is S.M.A.R.T scans for ssd and hdd
HDD Speedfan S.M.A.R.T Scan.png SSD Speedfan S.M.A.R.T Scan.png

Malwarebytes and avast free didn't find anything on my system in non safe mode

Last edited:
Are there any other games/programs that you are experiencing lag problems with?

Also, what is your network connection like speed wise?

As both D3 and The Crew requires a network connection to play, and you say you are getting decent gameplay in D3, I am wondering if the lag spikes you are experiencing are a network issue, and not graphics/cpu/storage related.

run firestrike, pay close attention to your system during the "physics" portion. Report findings

You say you've run stress tests, but did you check temps while you ran them? It could be your GPU throttling due to heat, or it could be defective.

It's possible that it's the SSD as well, and the PSU also.

After running Firestrike (have a monitoring program like HWMonitor [download on the left, NON-Pro version] running first), if you don't notice any issues, I would download Heaven and IXTU, and run them (the CPU stress test in IXTU, set it for ~30min) at the same time with HWMonitor in the background. That should rule out CPU, GPU and PSU.

i will try and run firestrike and everything else you have yet to say, i have not yet run malware/virus scan but i will do so very soon
i borrowed a flash drive so i can try the memtest86 after i have done everything else

i checked temps while running those stress tests but cant completly remember what they said, all i know is that they were within safe range (gpu wasn't over 65 degres and cpu wasn't over 60)

i'll come back with data asap (gonna take a while allmost night time here in denmark ^^ )

- - - Updated - - -

As both D3 and The Crew requires a network connection to play, and you say you are getting decent gameplay in D3, I am wondering if the lag spikes you are experiencing are a network issue, and not graphics/cpu/storage related.

i got a 50/10mb net and not realy with other programs. i have yet tested aloot of games but i have tried it in the crew, d3, gta and cs:go and every game have done it, some takes a while longer for it to happend but it does happend.
as i said i can fx run alot of non game background programs(steam and such within that area) and still be using chrome and firefox at the same time without getting a single lag spike

If you can, run the stress tests again while running monitor programs that measure voltages and temperatures. CPUID's HWmonitor is one.
Curious as to how your PSU is holding out while your system is being put through its paces.

Also, has this always been going on, or has this just started recently?
If this just started recently, what changed have been made to the system at around the time you noticed this problem?

If you can, run the stress tests again while running monitor programs that measure voltages and temperatures. CPUID's HWmonitor is one.
Curious as to how your PSU is holding out while your system is being put through its paces.

Also, has this always been going on, or has this just started recently?
If this just started recently, what changed have been made to the system at around the time you noticed this problem?

this have been going on for 2-3 weeks i think, i have not changed anything on my pc unless it was an update that was mandatory pretty much i will run and check temp and voltages when i run another stress test, scanning atm

by voltage and temp you mean on the gpu right?

Last edited:
during firestrike test i crashed during the end of physics test i think this is the error(under text) and as far as i can tell from searching its a directx problem but i dont have any programs realy running razor synapes, nvidia-settings, avast, hwmonitor, malware bytes, msi afterburner, chrome... there is a new update to windows 10 so i gotta reboot for that after the last stress test downloader is done.. i'll do a speedtest after i reboot to check if my speed have gone down (net is kinda wonky around my area sometimes... not 100% stable 50/10 but above 10/5 normally.. atleast!)

Unexpected error running tests.
Workload Single init returned error message: DXGI call IDXGISwapChain::SetFullscreenState failed [-2005270494]:

The requested functionality is not supported by the device or the driver.

DXGI_ERROR_NOT_CURRENTLY_AVAILABLE

I was anticipating this. I'll get back to you when I get home in a few hours if no one else chimes in.

so ran again after reboot without opening anything but hwmonitor and steam for launching firestorm, made it through it all but wrote the max value by mistake... (was playing hearstone on my phone xD ) then i opened up msi afterburner and closed it again since it changes how it runs with cooling(i set it up to cool faster at lower degress) and i ran it again and wrote the correct values but again it failed at the combined test(note that i have not used msi afterburner before this while playing games) i will just try and run it once more and see if it actually runs the hole test else i will post results after this test brb

okey so tried again now and an error happend during graphics test 2 around 9 sec in, the same as before. I had a complete freeze of my pc at this point, i tried escape, click or alt tab nothing happend so i used ctrl alt del and got into that menu after waiting around 20-25 sec and it lagged for around 2½ min afterwards with some 1 sec lag spikes. It's running fine now again

Workload Single init returned error message: DXGI call IDXGISwapChain::SetFullscreenState failed [-2005270494]:

so here is what i have gotten so far
Firestorm demo, starts at 1.025V>1.018V>1.012V>1.006V most of the time during the run. Temp was around 64-68(remember my gpu only starts the fans after it goes above 60 degrees and 68 was only at 50% fan speed)
Graphic test 1, 1.012V>1.006V>1.012V was around 1.006 most of the time but jumped back to 1.012 around the end i think it was. Temp was 60-62 degrees and was running 60 fps with few dips
Graphic test 2, 1.018V>1.012V>1.006V. Temp was around 64 degrees
Physics test, 0.837V>0.843V. Temp was around 49-51 degress and i was running 20-25 fps here
Combined test, 1.012V (have only gotten this far 1 out of 4 tries). Temp was invalid since i read max temp bu tthat was 67 degrees(again 50% fan usage not 100% cooling)
Score 8377, Graphics 10173, Physics 7814, Combined 3781. This is from the 1 run i had that did everything in the test.

speedtest.net test of internet connection
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4778757285

going to bed in a moment ill check up on replies after searching for jobs tomorrow morning (22:05pm here)

Yeah.
was trying to narrow things down, shouldn't be network, and if there have been so changes to the system.........

Try fully uninstalling the GPU drivers, and doing a clean install.

Was going to suggest this, but I'm mobile and didn't want to type all that.

downloading the driver now and gonna try and do a clean install afterwards

Okey i have now been running gta V for around 35-50 min and i had 2 laggspikes, not freezes! but i think that might just be gta since they did that update that made it lagg for some reason... else its running fine. i will try and run the firestrike test again and see how it runs now

Okey so i ran the test now and i still couldn't get to do the combined test because of this error:

Everything else had the same values as last time throughout the test

I am not sure if the problem it self with games are fixed or not but i will be trying out diffrent games and see if it happends again

Last edited:
okey so i tried running grid with a few laps and it started again with massive laggspikes/freezes and i ctrl alt del and looked at hwmonitor and saw nothing realy awefull in numbers jumped back in by alt tapping and it ran fine? did 4 3xlaps in derby and then changed into pro tuner and drove for around 5 sec and the first small lagspike happend.. oh well **** happends. then it stopped lagging and i just kept playing the map.. 10 sec later everything stop and sounds keep running loops.

not fixed xD

Windows 10 drivers have been problematic lately. I was having issues benching with them( newest) just the other night and went back to Win7. You might want to back your driver up a few releases and try that.

Back