• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer is being weird, laggspikes & freezes in multiple games, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I get the sound doing loops on a blank screen it is usually the Driver, The Gpu is Oced too far or Something is wrong with the Gpu.

Now just so we are all on the same page you have done the following correct?
Did a clean install of a new gpu driver?
Ran Memtest?
Running the Cpu at stock clock speeds?

Have you checked the Pci-E power connections, I know it may be silly but sometimes it's the little things we miss. Make sure they a properly seated.

Do you have another Gpu you can use to test the system with or another system you can swap the 970 into?

When I get the sound doing loops on a blank screen it is usually the Driver, The Gpu is Oced too far or Something is wrong with the Gpu.

Now just so we are all on the same page you have done the following correct?
Did a clean install of a new gpu driver?
Ran Memtest?
Running the Cpu at stock clock speeds?

Have you checked the Pci-E power connections, I know it may be silly but sometimes it's the little things we miss. Make sure they a properly seated.

Do you have another Gpu you can use to test the system with or another system you can swap the 970 into?

i did a clean install of the gpu driver(never oc'ed the gpu)
i have not yet ran the memtest since i focused on the gpu since that was what i got from the people that have answered might be the sinner
Cpu is running stock clock speed with an old water cooler on (gaming temp is around 40-50 degrees)

I will try and check that the connections are put together correctly

I do not have another gpu since the old gtx 580 was 99% dead

and i still see the picture with colors, im not getting a complete black screen while the sound loops

I'm starting to think it may be the Gpu but you should still try running Memtest just to rule it out, I've seen funnier issues arise when the Memory is a bit wonky.

okey! i have now been running memtest86 for 1 hour and where it made 1 pass 0 errors, after that it started over again but it wrote test complete press esc to end test since it started again... so i guess that rules out memory or do you want me to run it over a night where it just keeps running?

I will ask my mothers brother to try and run my gpu in his system(we are using the same gpu) and see if he gets any problems with his system and this gpu... please tell me if it is a good idea before i run off and do it :p

Memtest you should run at least 4-5 passes to see if there is an issue.

Having you're Gpu tested in another Pc is a good idea.

lol 2 random girls from steam that added me "since they played a comp match with me" trying to get me to join a ts with pure ip that requires you to go to a fishy plugin download for ts for you to join... yea right... how stupid do you think i am? i haven't played a cs:go match in a loooong time xD

- - - Updated - - -

Memtest you should run at least 4-5 passes to see if there is an issue.

Having you're Gpu tested in another Pc is a good idea.

okey ill let it run from now on and through the night (18:01 here atm) so it should be able to do atleast 8 passes if not more:) ill talk with my mothers brother if he wanna do it so i'll check up on my phone for replies else im off for the next 18 hours maybe... ill reply through phone if anyone says anything :D

Okey my pc have run 5 passes with 0 errors.. dropping off my gpu abit later and over the weekend get rested by my mothers brocher. . He is running the exactly same gpu but 3.gen cpu so if it runs fine in his build either its my build that is done or something Else.. but ill get back after he have run some tests in games

Ok so it's not the memory, if the Gpu runs fine in his Pc then it is likely a driver issue, the Os, the Psu or the Motherboard. Though most likely either a Driver issue or the Os.

So if its the os i should do a clean install again? Since after the clean install i did it said that you can't go back to Win7 after it was done

First check the card if it works fine, then I would try another driver and do a total driver sweep before you install it. If that doesn't help you can try doing another clean install of the Os. It's possible that the Psu is faulty but it's a bit of a long shot.

So if its the os i should do a clean install again? Since after the clean install i did it said that you can't go back to Win7 after it was done

All that meant was that you couldn't "roll back" to win7. You can still do a clean install of Windows 7 to rule out a possible issue with the install media or incompatibilities with win10.

I dont have key/cd for Win7. .. lost when i moved. This problem was on Win7 as well so not a win10 compatiablity problem. Should not be. So Got feedback back about my gpu and there were no problem it ran better in games then his other gpu.. He is keeping my gpu 1 more day and using it for some more tests... ill try and install it in My other pci-e slot and see if that is the issue. I can't buy a new mobo since I gotta upgrade alot and dont have any money atm. Could try and see if i Could buy a new psu if i can get some Cash.

Try another Pci-e slot as you said.
Then try doing a driver sweep and install some other Nvidia drivers you haven't already.
Then try re installing Win 10.
If that doesn't help, get a Digital Multi Meter and test the Psu before you buy another.

im finally back! and my gpu is back in my case... i have installed it in a diffrent pci-e slot, removed all gpu drivers and rebooted, installed the newest version that came out while my pc was turned off, did 5 firestrike tests where they all completede at around 9100 though at test nr 3 my cpu dropped to 0 % usage and lagged the last test... im gonna try and run some games i know i lagged in to see if there is a diffrence now... if there isn't i will try and reinstall win10 as mandrake4565 said

okey been playing now for a loong time.. played alot of grid.. nothing happend.. ran smooth.. been playing gta v for around 1-2 hours and now it started again.. gpu is running 44 degrees when it happends and it didnt have a problem in the other build... (ran for the hole day while he was playing in his build) i just checked my cpu temp and it says 57-60 max but i noticed that the moment it started stuttering my cpu went from 50-60% usage to 30-25 and then a major laggspike like it hits 0 % so im guessing it is my cpu/mobo combo...

The only thing I have is try doing a clean install of the Os, if that doesn't help it is most likely the board or the Cpu.

I blive it is the board/cpu at this point.... so ill try a clean install of Windows 10 again but I don't think it is gonna do any Thing. ..just gotta try and save up for New hardware

Back