• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My CPU cooling hit a dead end - fan speed make 0 difference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ilovecats

Meow
As seen in picture, I have a Silverstone PS07 with the hard drive cage removed. The CPU is a 3570k on an Asus P8Z77-M Pro. The CPU cooler is an Enermax TB-60, supposedly one of the newer and better top-down CPU coolers on the market. I opted for a top-down because I wanted it to cool my motherboard.

The CPU runs pretty hot with this setup. With an ambient temp of around 27C, it hits low 70's at a mere 4.0ghz OC @ 1.21v and would go to mid 80's with 4.2ghz @ 1.26v. As you can see, the fit of the cooler is pretty tight with the case and the video card, so I guess the air flow isn't optimal. But here's the kicker: after experimenting with various fans setup, the conclusion is that fans make virtually no difference in improving my temperature.

I originally had an exhaust fan (CM blademaster) right next to the cooler. No temperature improvement at any speed from 600rpm all the way to 1800rpm, even though I could feel hot air going out. As a matter of fact, higher rpm seemed to result in higher temp. So I removed the exhaust fan, no increase or decrease in temp at all. So I'm currently running with intake only, no exhaust other than the PSU fan facing inside.

Next I played with various settings with the stock fan on the CPU cooler, which is an Enermax 120mm PWM fan 800-1800rpm. Again, having it at full blast or a mere 1200rpm make no difference in CPU temperature. So I just removed the stock fan and sticked on a Gentle Typhoon AP-14 1450rpm. Much quieter and no effect on temperature.

Finally I upgraded both front intake fans from some super week 900rpm Silverstone's to GT AP-14's s as well. But as you might have guessed, zero difference.

I re-installed the CPU cooler twice (using MX-4) carefully to make sure that it's not a bad installation.

What do you think is the biggest problem in my setup? The cramped space around the cooler or the air path? I find it hard to believe how fans can be so useless in my case. This is probably the biggest waste of 3 Gentle Typhoons on earth. :cry:

Edit/Update: After taking the advice from the wonderful posters, especially doyll, I flipped the CPU fan over to mount it as an exhaust, and temperatures dropped across the board. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 2013-06-12 21.09.18.jpg
    2013-06-12 21.09.18.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Are you measuring case temp using a sensor on the motherboard? Sometimes those wind up in a dead spot. For the CPU, are you measuring the temperature at idle or at load?

Are you measuring case temp using a sensor on the motherboard? Sometimes those wind up in a dead spot. For the CPU, are you measuring the temperature at idle or at load?

I don't have a sensor. I believe the "hot spot" theory though because that's the only explanation I can think of under the circumstance.

My temp's are Prime95 blend @ 30 min. I actually completely messed up my numbers in my OP because I had so many test runs and remembered the settings and temps wrong. I have updated them. It was actually:

4.0ghz @ 1.21v: 73C
4.2ghz @ 1.26v: 85C

My biggest problem remains that my fans don't improve my temps.

It idles at around 33C, which is decent I guess.

It couldn't be that bad. Post all your 4.2Ghz settings, or pic's of the overclocking related screens in the UEFI.

Turbo: disabled
Multiplier: 40
EIST: enabled
LLC: ultra high
CPU voltage freq:manual 350
CPU phase: optimized
VRM power: T.probe
CPU current capcity: 110%
CPU vcore: offset -0.080v (resulting in about 1.21v under full load)
CPU C1e: enabled
CPU C3/C6/Package C: disabled

I think I just have a really really bad chip. I see people running 4.3ghz @ low 1.20's and mine would blue screen into Windows.

I just edited the OP because I got my temps wrong. It's around 73C with 4.0ghz @ 1.21v and 85C with [email protected].

Even with a bad chip, you should see a big difference between 500RPM and 1400RPM on your HSF.

Even with a bad chip, you should see a big difference between 500RPM and 1400RPM on your HSF.

I never actually tried 500RPM with Prime 95. I didn't want to risk anything.

I did test all the way from constant 1200rpm to constant full 1800rpm though.

Another question is: with these temps of mine, am I actually harming my motherboard/vrm by blowing very hot air at them? In other words, which is better: no air (tower based coolers that blow parallel to the MB) or hot air but blowing down?

Even for a 4.0Ghz clock 1.21V is too high. What are the rest of the settings like VCCSA, VCCIO, CPU PLL, MultiCore Enhancement, etc? Better yet, just take pic's of the BIOS screens and post them in this thread.

Even for a 4.0Ghz clock 1.21V is too high. What are the rest of the settings like VCCSA, VCCIO, CPU PLL, MultiCore Enhancement, etc? Better yet, just take pic's of the BIOS screens and post them in this thread.

Those were mostly auto and multicore is disabled of course and it has no effect when OC'ed with turbo disabled anyway. But here are the screenshots.

I'm not exactly new to OC and I have tinkered with my settings for quite a while. My other rigs usually do much better than this one.

Attachments

• 2013-06-22 11.05.47.jpg
    2013-06-22 11.05.47.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 2013-06-22 11.06.29.jpg
    2013-06-22 11.06.29.jpg
    971.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 2013-06-22 11.07.13.jpg
    2013-06-22 11.07.13.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 99
  • 2013-06-22 11.08.24.jpg
    2013-06-22 11.08.24.jpg
    928.4 KB · Views: 103
Try testing with case laying flat, side open and fan turned over so it is drawing air out of CPU cooler. I have often seen this lower temps but 5c+.

I think this is caused by the air blowing onto mobo > hitting RAM, GPU, I/O housings, etc. > coming back alongside of cooler and being sucked back into fan.

That's my main concern too.

I figured he was running it upside down and the top fan was just blowing hot air at the CPU.

No no of course I tested with the case in a normal upright position.

I actually tested *both* with side panel closed and open. And guess what? No difference.

Back