• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Defective AMD CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Finkle

Disabled
Since the first day I got my 1900+, and checked my temps I noticed that my normal running temp was in the high 60's. I posted a message about this problem, just about a year ago, and you all thought I was insane. You suggested different programs to mesure my temps because the 60 degree stock *un-clocked* temps were obviously wrong. However, one year later and many different programs later, I still get temps in the high 60's and sometimes past 70 degrees within the first five mins of the computer being on. I recentyl purchased a new Antec case with a rediculous amount of fans (set up properly), I thought this would lower my temps, but it didn't. Recently my computer has been so unstable that after 30 mins of being on, the CPU overheats and shutsdown. Also everything is dust free.

Any idea what the problem might be? or am i just wasting my time. Should I contact AMD and a demand a new CPU?

cheaterzx22

Registered
Wow, is your house really hot? I really can't think of another reason for it doing that. Unless your heatsink has been set wrong this whole time somehow, but i doubt that.

::Edit:: What mobo are you running by the way?

OP
F

Finkle

Disabled
my motherboard is a asus a7v-333
yeah i installed my heat sink and fan myself, pretty sure i did i correctly, i followed instructions. and what do u mean by reinstalled it? I installed my HSF once.

timmyqwest

Disabled
Finkle said:
my motherboard is a asus a7v-333
yeah i installed my heat sink and fan myself, pretty sure i did i correctly, i followed instructions. and what do u mean by reinstalled it? I installed my HSF once.

I'd go out and buy some arctic silver 3 thermal compound and install it again

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Your problem sounds quite serious. Not even a stock HSF should be getting temps quite that high. The problem almost definitely lies in the contact between the core of the CPU and the heatsink. Either the heatsink is seated improperly, or perhaps the core is chipped leading to uneven pressure. Thermal compoud is probably not even part of the equation here. AS III is not going to reduce your temps by 20 °C period, but a chipped core could increase it by this much. There's a very good chance though, that you may have just put the clip on backwards or something and just haven't noticed it. I'd say reseating the heatsink could end up pleasantly surprising you.

Yodums

Might want to follow the steps of installing an HSF on again?

Are you using thermal paste? That's very important.

GravY

whats thermal paste??? :D

J/k..

man you need to check that out, looks like your running your HSF with no thermal paste..

OP
F

Finkle

Disabled
yeah my HSF is damn hot to the touch. and no im not using any special thermal paste, only the stuff it came with. The only reason im not using as3 is becasue i heard u gotta keep changing it,is there anything more permanent???And im, pretty sure i installed the hsf correctly b/c i have another similar system that runs a 1800+ below 50 degrees. Honestly, im at a loss, i e-mailed amd to see what they say, hopefully they can help too. U guys think that as3 will help that much? thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
Yea as3 can help alot IMO from about 2-8c lower.

What voltage is you chip running @ have you checked it in your bios and on asus probe, maybe MBM5?

OP
F

Finkle

Disabled
my voltage is at 1.75, the stock voltage, ive checked on my bios, i guess asus probe and mbm5 whould say the same thing

OP
F

Finkle

Disabled
what other options do i have besides as3, assuming that is my problem. I would like to use something that i wouldnt have to replace every few months, like the stock stuff i guess.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
You dont have to replace as3 every few months allthough it is good to keep a good clean case anyway so it wouldn't hurt. As for some other stuff AS3 is the best around that I'am aware of.

dropadrop

What kind of fans do you have on the case? Is there a good air-flow?

My xp1600+ used to run in the high 60's untill I changed my case to an antec 1040. After that it ran high 50's, meaning I lost 10 degreese just by changing the case to something that actually moved air...

OP
F

Finkle

Disabled
i recently bought a Antec PLUSVIEW 1000AMG ATX Mid Tower
case, this really seemed to have no affect at all. I think my problem has to do with getting the heat from the CPU to the heatsink so i can be relesed to the surrounding air. I think i will try the arctic silver. Oh yeah one last question, if , somehow, but i realy doubt it, my die is chipped, wouldnt it stop working intirely, wouldnt my CPU stop function???

dropadrop

I have heared of chipped processors still working, maby not overclocking as well as before though. It depends how badly it's chiped, and what is in the processor at the place of impact. I don't think it would affect the heat that it produces though.

OP
F

Finkle

Disabled
okay, well i seems that the only possible solution to my problem is AS3, but should i go ahead and use this stuff, or should i send my CPU to AMD first since using as3 voids my warranty

OP
F

Finkle

Disabled
also ive heard that copper heat sinks are far better, anyone know what heatsink i could get that i could still use my stock CPU fan with(ie same dimensions as the stock heatsink), because i really dont want anymore noise.

dropadrop

If you want it to be silent, the best option is to get a good copper heatsink, with a silent fan. (papst, ystech ect) Good heatsinks would be atleast a thermaltake sk-7, or slk-800. Both of these use 80mm fans, so you probably need to get a new fan at the same time.

I would definatly use the arctic silver. As long as you apply it correctly, you don't have to worry about about warranty. You are only supposed to apply a thin layer on the core of the processor, and you will be able to clean it off incase you need to send the processor back to amd.