• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Design Revealed. (Evaporative)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's worth the read Diggrr and then my unde-u-ma-ated posts will make some sense.

Don't stop now now orionlion82. You've got a lot more information to post. Me on the other hand, I've had way too mcuh cough syrup and it's off to bed. This better be complete by morning. :D :beer:

Temo Vryce said:
It's worth the read Diggrr and then my unde-u-ma-ated posts will make some sense.

Don't stop now now orionlion82. You've got a lot more information to post. Me on the other hand, I've had way too mcuh cough syrup and it's off to bed. This better be complete by morning. :D :beer:

ughh, okay, just for you man! :santa:

What no Pictures? :mad: j/k Great read so far it's given me a lot of ideas to use for the design that I'm working on. I know that forth coming pictures will lcear up a lot of grey areas and I can't wait to see them. Thanks for finishing as much of this as you did last night.

orionlion82 said:

If i had to do it all over again, I would use the bottled water of some form.
I was saving a penny at the expense of my rig. It was Stupid.

I couldn't spend a buck a day on water, but I was risking THOUSANDS to do it.
I lost that bet.

Literally a buck. I'm not sure how much fluid you're using right now but 10 Gallons of distilled would only run you $10. Also you wouldn't be fighting mineral deposits caused by the tap water. Also you should change it out anyways as many of the dissolved minerals are metal salts which can cause oxidation and damage your water blocks.

That said, great build log :).

Moto7451 said:
Literally a buck. I'm not sure how much fluid you're using right now but 10 Gallons of distilled would only run you $10. Also you wouldn't be fighting mineral deposits caused by the tap water. Also you should change it out anyways as many of the dissolved minerals are metal salts which can cause oxidation and damage your water blocks.

That said, great build log :).

This isn't a build log, this project was already done, and kept secret for a long time. Just saying this for clarification.

jcw122 said:
This isn't a build log, this project was already done, and kept secret for a long time. Just saying this for clarification.

heh, you win!

heck its been decomissioned for many months.

im having a good old fasahoined lousy day.
got to handle a few more things before i sit down to complete it.

allso thinking about doing "cut-away" views in the pics,
bear with me!

Take the time that you need. As impatient as I am about this I would rather see it later and done right than see it now and done poorly.

Temo Vryce said:
Take the time that you need. As impatient as I am about this I would rather see it later and done right than see it now and done poorly.

Truth be told, the rig was ghetto from the start.
it was never done right and a sloppy job.
there was so much painting and tidying i could have done, but never did.

that being said, i would have loved to have made a proper job of it and have something impressive to show... but money and time and motivation werent on my side.

anyways, i got the pics shot yesterday, but real life comes first.
kind of getting ready for a cross country move, so life is crazy.
decided against the cutaways on the pics because the points are made without them.

look for more in the coming days...

Diggrr said:
Sorry I didn't read the whole thing (short attention span without pics).
Couldn't you just use a Culigan whole house filter?
I mean there's a variety of filter choices and even the smallest (3 micron I believe) will still easily pass enough water to take a shower while flushing (with an admittedly larger pump behind it).
$32 at Menards.

Their sand filter should be good for your application.
Anyone wanna comment? I'm considering a evap cooler here in Phoenix and have been pondering using a UV setup to kill the bacteria and a filter....

Ducatti said:
Anyone wanna comment? I'm considering a evap cooler here in Phoenix and have been pondering using a UV setup to kill the bacteria and a filter....

In this setup, a sand filter, or a yarn filter may pose too much restriction.

the paper filters will flow better from my understanding.

the UV Sterilizers are pretty expensive, and likely not nessacary.
i never did have anythig grow in mine, but if it is a concern, or if there are sensitive people in the house, it might be worth it.

the idea with the filters is minerals and dirt, and not so much bacteria.

orionlion82 said:
In this setup, a sand filter, or a yarn filter may pose too much restriction.

the paper filters will flow better from my understanding.

the UV Sterilizers are pretty expensive, and likely not nessacary.
i never did have anythig grow in mine, but if it is a concern, or if there are sensitive people in the house, it might be worth it.

the idea with the filters is minerals and dirt, and not so much bacteria.
I've just been thinking that here in Phoenix where the average humidity is less than 20% all year a bong style cooler would work exceedingly well. I already have 2 humidifiers in my apartment as it is.....

Ducatti said:
I've just been thinking that here in Phoenix where the average humidity is less than 20% all year a bong style cooler would work exceedingly well. I already have 2 humidifiers in my apartment as it is.....

you are a very good candidate for evaporative cooling or a bong setup, for sure.
Read up on the basics and give it some thought.

well, the UV light really doesn't make too much sense to me either. Its not standing water. Its always moving, at what? a gallon or two a min? Thats a lot of water, nothing is gonna be able to settle and grow, unless you have standing water (I think..correct me if I'm wrong about this though)

dz_jad said:
well, the UV light really doesn't make too much sense to me either. Its not standing water. Its always moving, at what? a gallon or two a min? Thats a lot of water, nothing is gonna be able to settle and grow, unless you have standing water (I think..correct me if I'm wrong about this though)

Bacteria isn't like ice, it will grow in stagnant pools or deep-sea volcanic water jets. You can get UV lights meant to kill bacteria, the type that actually bolt right into your ducting. I'd imagine you could use a Wye fitting in the bong with it, as long as you seal it with a clear window that passes all UV through it.

FYI the only filter that will get the minerals you speak of (disolved ions) is far more restrictive or expensive than you think. The only filters capible are reverse-osmosis ($50 cartridge will flow ~10 gallons per day w/supporting pre-filters), and water softeners. A paper/rope/etc filter will capture some minerals, but only because they're heavy metals (lead/mercury).

HiProfile said:
FYI the only filter that will get the minerals you speak of (disolved ions) is far more restrictive or expensive than you think. The only filters capible are reverse-osmosis ($50 cartridge will flow ~10 gallons per day w/supporting pre-filters), and water softeners. A paper/rope/etc filter will capture some minerals, but only because they're heavy metals (lead/mercury).

QFT

The honest answer is just to get bottled distilled. Its not *that much*. $1 per gallon is better than what you'd pay at the pump for gas.

At a gallon a day, that would be relatively expensive, though. Lots of folks pay less than the yearly distilled water bill for their whole rig. Seems to me that would take some of the ghetto joy out of the bong.

HiProfile said:
Bacteria isn't like ice, it will grow in stagnant pools or deep-sea volcanic water jets. You can get UV lights meant to kill bacteria, the type that actually bolt right into your ducting. I'd imagine you could use a Wye fitting in the bong with it, as long as you seal it with a clear window that passes all UV through it.
Right-o then....Well, I guess a UV light just doesn't seem practical then...meaning, if I built a cooling tower (bong), then I wouldn't use one...

Otter said:
At a gallon a day, that would be relatively expensive, though. Lots of folks pay less than the yearly distilled water bill for their whole rig. Seems to me that would take some of the ghetto joy out of the bong.
What about a dual loop bong? Use tap water in the bong setup, have radiator submerged in the sump feeding closed loop system...

Back