• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My experience with a repeater setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mercalf

First of all, I'll address the original problem: My house was built long ago - when walls were made of solid 'crete and not wood. I was having headaches with the terrible WiFi signal around the house; and ever-changing strength depending on which corner I turned. The primary router is set up in the office across the house from my true computer. (Why not switch?) - loss of online work data is more of a price to pay than a laggy death in Call of Duty.

I did a little research on repeater capability - and I happened to get lucky. I bought a mixed router with the intent to use the 'N' signal to boost my range, and of course that didn't work. HOWEVER, my old router (WRT54G) just happened to be the tool of choice for the ddwrt repeater broadcast. Viola!

Slow Internet is better than no Internet...so I settled for an occasional glitch or loss-o-packet. However, after a few months of this I got annoyed and decided to go repeater - to - ethernet. This was the difference:

A) Picking up WiFi from the repeater: 7Mb/s went to 4Mb/s, packet loss galore, impossible to play online games with jumpy signal!

B) Jacking directly into the repeater with ethernet: 7Mb/s went to 6.5Mb/s, constant feed, and seamless gaming experience!

Solution: Moved the repeater next to my tower and jacked in with ethernet. Saved myself a PCI slot and stress from a streaky signal. All in all - I've been very pleased with the overall quality and performance of the repeater setup.

Primary router: Belkin Wireless N with signal boost
Repeater: Linksys WRT54G
Setup Instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater
----------------------------------------

I'm sorry if you're one of those 'no pic no proof' people :p, but I felt like getting this posted for anyone else considering the repeater setup - or anyone who is already using. This is just my personal experience, and I can't say the results will stay be the same for everyone. (After all, when is technology ever consistent?)

:salute: Hooyah.

SuperDave1685

Glad to hear it worked for you! I'm talking to a friend back in the states who is having issues with signal strength as well. his router is in the basement and has to go through several walls to get to his upstairs PC as well as his parents' PC in their room. How long did this take you to setup? I just might setup this for him when I get home.

GIXXERGUY6

Holy hell this sounds like what I need to do.

I have a wrt54gs now and just picked up a wrn2000 netgear wireless n router.

I can use the wireless in at the router and the wired computer, put the wrt over in the house with my already installed DD WRT firmware and use it as a client?

OP
mercalf

mercalf

GIXX it was a bit tough for me to understand that last part. But if you have a WRT54G and have DD WRT already installed - then you can follow the guide and have it work, yes. (If that's what you're asking)

SuperDave, when I originally browsed the web for the solution - that's what I was reading. People up north (basements don't exist here) had setups in the basement and needed to reach upstairs....or vis versa - so the repeater would work like a charm for him. However, the only firmware that I KNOW OF, that supports that is the DD WRT, which only works with WRT54G routers.....btw GO NAVY.

GIXXERGUY6

GIXX it was a bit tough for me to understand that last part. But if you have a WRT54G and have DD WRT already installed - then you can follow the guide and have it work, yes. (If that's what you're asking)

SuperDave, when I originally browsed the web for the solution - that's what I was reading. People up north (basements don't exist here) had setups in the basement and needed to reach upstairs....or vis versa - so the repeater would work like a charm for him. However, the only firmware that I KNOW OF, that supports that is the DD WRT, which only works with WRT54G routers.....btw GO NAVY.

meh! I figured it out :D

I have the netgear here at the modem hooked to the already existing wire downstairs (old dlink 514 router as a hub) in the shop and shot roughly 225ft of cable to the house(through the pull tube) and hooked to the wrt54gs with dd-wrt acting as an access point and it works flawlessly.