• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My father passed away last night

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Hello fellow folders,
my family has a history of cancer from both sides. My father is the 5th victin in my family... I started folding when my mothers sister died from breastcancer.
I've been folding on and off for a while now. I stopped folding on my main rig mostly because of monthly electricity bills. Right now I have two questions to ask.

1. I want to start folding on my main again but I want to help with curing cancer, so I don't care about points, I care about proteins that are most helpful for medicine. So should I fold on my CPU or my GPU? (I have 8800GT 512MB)

2. Is there a way to find out when was the first time I submitted a WU?

Sorry to bother you guys in this time of Holidays, and sorry for the illegible message, I'm a mess.
If you want say a prayer for my father. His name was Nemanja
Thank you for your time!

Adak

My condolences on your loss.

You can see your first folding date on EOC stats, on the right hand side (near the top), of your page:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=4574

which is 01 01 04.

However, if your folding pre-dates EOC's startup, (and it appears your folding does), then you will need the help of a moderator over at Stanford's FAH help forum. Go to the forum site for help with that:
http://foldingforum.org/

The best way to help FAH, is simply to maximize your points. That's the way it's set up, to make it clear how to help more - earn more points.

Please ask this question in the FAH forum, but I'm sure they'll tell you to fold as fast as you can, with whatever you can. Legally, of course.

For inspiration, Google "Atlas Folder" and visit his web site. His family is afflicted with Huntington's disease.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
Very sorry to hear that you lost your father. It is never easy to deal with things like this. I wish you and your family the best possible holiday season you can have with the circumstances at hand. I'm not sure what else to say other than take care of yourself. I've been in spots like this myself and its never easy.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
My condolences for your loss. My best to your family on this Christmas day.

Brando

Damn....I'm sorry to hear that. I started to fold for a day but realized I was too poor to use that much electricity. I'll pitch in as much as I can though. I've lost some family to cancer myself. Try to hang in there.

turbohans

Im very sorry to hear of your loss.

I do know that it is harder for them to code workunits for PS3's than GPU/CPU work so your choice to fold with a pc will help in the mannor you are thinking. As far as witch is better to run GPU or CPU; GPU will do more work faster,, but running both at the same time is great.