• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG My First Case Mod / H20 Cooling Attempt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sims Reaper

Hello,

I'm new to the site, only recently discovered it as I started to really look into water cooling. As I did, I discovered some of your posts with the amazing custom case mods, and figured I'd give it a try.

So here is my NZXT Phantom case mod - water cooling thread. I hope you like what you see, but I am always open to criticism, suggestions and all that comes with the public display here. It's actually why I'm posting this all.

As I mentioned, I'm new here, and this is my first mod job and first water cooling attempt. Its something I've always wanted to do, since I first heard about it, but now I'm in the position where I have the time and money to put towards it.

This whole thing started as a "look-see" for me a few weeks ago. Browsing new-egg, and review sites. Then last week, had a stressful day at work, opted for some impulse online shopping therapy :thup: So here is the jist of the purchase list.

Sound Activation Cold Cathode Addon w/ Blue LEDs

Logisys Dual 12" Cold Cathode Kit - Blue

Black Ice GT Stealth 360 X-Flow Radiator - Black

Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XL2 120mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 1500 RPM - 21 dBA

FrozenCPU Superman Applique (I'm a Supe fan, what ca n I say, Plus my last name starts with an S so it fits )

Alphacool VPP655 Variable Speed Pump - HF Top Edition - Acylic

XSPC Razor GTX Titan Full Coverage VGA Block - Reference Design

Backplate: XSPC Titan Backplate

Swiftech Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Standalone Reservoir (Maelstrom)

XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Intel (Sockets LGA 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011)

EK EKoolant Premium Liquid Cooling Premix Coolant - 1L - UV Blue

1/2" ID - (5/8" OD) PVC Clear Tubing

Pretty pumped about it, but like I said, it was fairly impulsive, and I my main source of input was the few review sites I was able to peruse just as I was building my cart. But let me know how it all strikes you.
Next came the modding part. Now, a 120.3 will not fit in a Phantom case, but I wanted the extra cooling for my GPU loop. I found a great case mod done by Dooms 101
So it gave me the idea to try it as well. And then I knew I had to be able to show off the water system to my friends, so, windows became a must. Of course, the easiest way was to just buy the windowed panel from NZXT, and I almost did. But again, with the help of the internet I opted for the self made method.

So a trip was made to the hardware store, lexan was purchased, and I found a Rotary tool kit on for 50% so it was an instant buy. So became my first mistake... I quickly found that the dremel was not gonna cut straight enough for my needs. And in my rush, I cut the acrylic, score and snap style, to the shape of the window I first wanted, only to quickly change my mind after. I had first thought to just make the panel like the NZXT window, then I wondered why limit myself. So, another trip to the hardware store

24" X 24" Acrylic sheet, Vehicle door trim, Rivet hand tool, and small rivets and backers.

Second purchase complete I cut the new windows in my panel, replacing both mesh vents with the acrylic.

NOTE FOR NEWBIES: One thing they dont say on the forums is how stressfull it is to first cut your pristine side panel :D

But I really did turn out better than I expected for my first run. It isnt absolutely perfect, but everyone who has seen it thinks it was done professionally, which I take as its pretty good for a first timer.

So, some pics to show before, cut, and after of just the window part of the project.
The water cooling parts are still in the mail, it'll be a maybe 2 weeks till I can really start on that. But it will follow, I promise

Here's the before, I really do like the look of the Phantom, in red it always reminded me for the Imperial Guard Stormtroopers.
image(7).jpeg

After the cuts were made. Angle grinder with a thin metal wheel. Straight, and easy, it went pretty smoothly actually.
image(8).jpeg

And this is after the trim and rivets. I really could have done the trim a bit better. I though it was solid, but riveting the Acrylic into place did cause some movement. I'm going to look into touching it up with some rubber paste.
Any and All suggestions here will be very welcome.
image(9).jpeg

well, there you have it so far. Let me know what you think, I'm a big boy, I can take the criticism that will prob come, but honestly I'm not disappointed in it all so far. Of course, the huge water cooling install is still to come. And while I realize that lots of this may be old hat to most of the people here, this is still pretty exciting for a first timer. Haha, even one my ripe old age of 30...ish :p

Back