• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Computer Build-Is The Asus M4A78 Plus Compatible With OCZ2RPR10664GK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ICU-EMERG1

I only have very limited time, this being between working double shifts, 18 hours a shot at the ICU-EMERG with 6 hours to spare, which Includes a few hours or so of sleep, not failing to mention what ever time it will actually take me in order too be able to build my very first computer for the friend whom is handicapped.

Here Is the Skibby on the situation at hand.

This is my very first computer build" and I am a complete novice to such, therefore I require some help please by some one that "can actually answer my questions in detail so that I may understand".

1.) The parts are all new, and available to me free of charge from my co-worker whom had a brother that passed away not to long ago.

Asus M4A78 Plus Motherboard

OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Series
(5-5-5 - 2.2V)
4 X 2Gb = 8Gb's In total
Form Factor : 240 Pin Dimm
Part Number : OCZ2RPR10664GK

&

The available Cpu's that I can pick from are :

1.) Amd Phenom X3 8650 2.3Ghz Triple Core Cpu (HD8650WCJ3BGH)

2.) Amd Phenom X4 9600 Black Edition Quad-Core (HD960ZWCJ4BGD)

3.) Amd Phenom X4 9750 Quad-Core 2.40Ghz (HD9750XAJ4BGH)

4.) Amd Athlon II X4 620 2.6 Ghz Socket AM3 Quad-Core (ADX620WFK42GIBOX)

The parts that I have listed above and mentioned are parts that belonged to my Co-wokers deceased brother, and my handicapped friend Is the nefew of such. It will be a present, that is if in fact, If I will be able to use the parts listed above & below to achieve my goal.

Hence making this computer build not only Important, but very special to the person that will be receiving It....

My direct question's being :

1.) Will the Asus M4A78 Plus Motherboard be compatible with the OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Series Ram (5-5-5 - 2.2V) 4 X 2Gb = 8Gb's In total or not?

2.) If they are both compatible together can I use all 4 X 2 Gb sticks of ram In total or not?

3.) If you where putting a build together using the parts that are mentioned herein, which CPU would you consider to be the best to use for this build.

4.) How do I go about making the Ram work with the motherboard, do I just put them In the spaces and roll on my way or not???

5.) Will I have to go Into something that Is called the Bios??? And If so, from what I have breifly read, one has to make the required settings, of what exactly I am not certain.

6.) I will mention as well that I have a power supply with markings stating that It is 650 watts, a video card that should work if need be or not, and 1-New copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit Including 1-New copy of Windows XP Pro (SP3) < what ever that means I have not figured It out as of yet

7.) The above mentioned parts listed are all Brand new, factorty sealed, never opened. We do beleive prior to his passing on that he was planning on building a computer using the mentioned specific parts to do so. They where all located In the same box together that came with the Motherboard, Ram & Cpu's.

Now the tricky part.

If some one here can directy guide me step by step as too exactly what I shoud do to make the build possible, I will follow evey instruction, word for word, in detail, until it has been completed by me. Upon completion I will post a picture of such.

I know that I am asking quite alot from any member that will not only have patience and the time to instruct me In detail as to how to complete such build, and I would like that person to know In advance, that I will be for ever gratefull for the help that I will be given.

Thank you

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. #3 or #4 would be the fastest, depending on what is to be done with the machine. Probably #4 though.
4. Yes
5. Perhaps. The motherboard might default the memory to a lower speed, you must simply go into the BIOS (usually by spamming the Delete key while the computer is starting up), find the memory speed or multiplier, and change it to DDR2-1066.
6. 32-bit operating systems can only handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM, you would want a 64-bit operating system to take advantage of the full 8GB. SP3 stands for Service Pack 3, it's simply a collection of updates all rolled into one. SP3 on the disk means that it will install Windows with all these updates, rather than you having to download and install them after.

How to build a computer: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638619

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. #3 or #4 would be the fastest, depending on what is to be done with the machine. Probably #4 though.
4. Yes
5. Perhaps. The motherboard might default the memory to a lower speed, you must simply go into the BIOS (usually by spamming the Delete key while the computer is starting up), find the memory speed or multiplier, and change it to DDR2-1066.
6. 32-bit operating systems can only handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM, you would want a 64-bit operating system to take advantage of the full 8GB. SP3 stands for Service Pack 3, it's simply a collection of updates all rolled into one. SP3 on the disk means that it will install Windows with all these updates, rather than you having to download and install them after.

How to build a computer: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638619

Knufire I can not even begin to tell you how much I appreciate your help and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I will read the link you have supplied me with in full later on this evening.

I will go out tomorrow when off duty and purchase a 64-bit operating system to take advantage of the full 8GB as you have suggested to do so. Thereafter I will make a attemp to assemble all parts and Install the operating system.

I will then at that point In time further post my progress immediately. Once again, my sincere appreciation to you for your time & kind help.

Talk with you all tomorrow, have a good night, stay out of trouble and be safe.

Thank you

Back