• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first CPU overclocking experience so far =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChristopherBlue

CPU: AMD T-Bird 700 MHz stock speed
Mobo: MSI-6167 no FSB OC options available without mods
Power Supply: 250W

When I first got my GFD and Alpha p7125 w/Sunon fans I was not ready to put on the new HS/fans and the GFD did not seem to be working. However, when I cranked the voltage up to 1.85 from 1.75, I was able to run stable at 800 MHz and then 850 MHz.

After I found the GFD to work, I underwent installing the 7125 and Sunons. I first cleaned off the HS and heatplate with 91% isopropyl alcohol and then applied Artic Silver II using my finger inside of a Ziploc bag. I had some trouble attaching the HS at first, but in the end the tapscrews were holding it tightly against the heatplate. The fan-cover was even more of a pain as I had bent some of the heatsink's shafts and that made it tougher for the screws to go in, however in the end I was able to get both the fan-cover and the fans in rather snugly.

When I booted up the computer with the new fans I was delighted to hear that they were about as loud as the stock fan was and of course much better (they had better be! :) ). After fiddling around with a few things and some GFD tweaking, I was able to run 850/1.85 stable and then 900/1.95 stable (after a 15 minute CPUburn test at high priority) which is where I am at now, 900 MHz. Yippie! :)

The main thing that is bothering me is that I couldn't even post at 950/1.95 the last time I tried so I am afraid I might not reach a GHz as hoped. But, I am not out of options yet with a 2.05 voltage setting! :) I will post more as it happens.

P.S. Yeah 3D Mark 2001 scores are scaling very nicely with my Radeon 8500 ;)

Does anyone here have any experience with removing the heatplate and then directly attaching the heatsink with the CPU core?

BTW, after reattaching the heatsink, I was able to run 900 @ 1.85V.

Last edited:
I wouldn't suggest messing with the heatplate (unless you have more balls then brains) That wasen't mean't to be taken off but hey might as well try (be warned)

Back