• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Dead Hardware: My Radeon 32mb DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Looks like i killed my radeon. A couple months ago i was working on the heatsink when i nocked one of the little resistors (i think) off that sits between the GPU and the AGP slot. I managed to sodder it back on, but i guess i didnt get it on very well. I had the card out today re-attaching the heatsink with thermal epoxy instead of superglue and radioshack grease, and i guess it just fell off. Put the card back in and get one long beeeep. And of coures the resistor is GONE. I cant quite read the one next to it, but i think it says either 000, or 600 or 006, i really dont know. So, anyone have a dead card around that they can give me a resistor off of?

OP
WyrmMaster

WyrmMaster

I know i CAN fix it, but im not sure if i WANT to. It would be a good excuse to myself to get a new card. Any sugestions on a new card. Im probably gona get a Radeon 8500, but still kinda looking to hear the arguements on both sides again. Looking to spend about 150 or less.

*JEREMY*

I have a dead 8500 but im not sure if any of the parts would work for you.Let me know.I picked up a 128mb Radeon 8500 this past weekend and im really enjoying it.

OP
WyrmMaster

WyrmMaster

If you see any resistors in the area between the AGP slot and the GPU then it may be helpful. If you could just take a couple of them off and stick them in a plastic bag in an envelope and send it to me i could give it a try.

CSaddict

I also have a Radeon 8500 128 DDR and its a great card. I got it at CompUSA for $200 cause they screwed up.

OP
WyrmMaster

WyrmMaster

BACK FROM THE DEAD

I FIXED IT :D :D :cool:

I managed to salvage a replacement resistor from another piece of hardware. The Donor, believe it or not, is a long dead floppy drive with a manufacture date on it of 6-6-91:rolleyes:

I knew i kept that drive for something.:cool:

zoopa_man

Mah hahahaha cool story. I was going to say it's too big to make a key chain out of. I'm glad to see you fixed it. I know the feeling too. I had a Geforce2MX that I broke some leads on..the card could have been replaced by something a lot better...but you don't learn anything that way. It's more fun to try fixing it. the Geforce I fixed lasted about 6 months and then FIZzz was done. lol Hardware is funny some times. Good story though...that card has seen some battles. hehe congrats

The Overclocker

nice job - you are very lucky for the card to be still working, surface mount resistors are all the same and are 'cut' to the right resistance by a high power laser, you must have picked a once close to the origional value.

i wish my dead hardware could be fixed that easily. so far i have:

5 dead CPUS,
2 dead sticks of ram,
1 dead hard disk,
2 dead motherboards,
3 dead CD drives,
1 dead floppy drive,
1 dead monitor,
3 dead powersupplies,
4 dead network cards,
3 dead graphics cards,
2 dead mice ,
1 dead keyboard
and two dead cases (too many mods)

Tracert

the overclocker said:
nice job - you are very lucky for the card to be still working, surface mount resistors are all the same and are 'cut' to the right resistance by a high power laser, you must have picked a once close to the origional value.

i wish my dead hardware could be fixed that easily. so far i have:

5 dead CPUS,
2 dead sticks of ram,
1 dead hard disk,
2 dead motherboards,
3 dead CD drives,
1 dead floppy drive,
1 dead monitor,
3 dead powersupplies,
4 dead network cards,
3 dead graphics cards,
2 dead mice ,
1 dead keyboard
and two dead cases (too many mods)

With all that borken junk around... its a wonder you have a place to sleep. I would find a remote dumpster and do some house cleaning!

;)

OP
WyrmMaster

WyrmMaster

the overclocker said:

Yah, the one i put on has the same number as the others in the area, its alot bigger though, probably because its so old. Seems to work just fine though.

OP
WyrmMaster

WyrmMaster

It seems that i may have lost some overclockability with the new resistor, although i may not have gotten enough arctic alumin epoxy on when i reapplied the heatsinks. Seems to be pretty well squeezed out around the edes though.

Tracert

You should change the name of this thread to:

"What could have been my First Dead Hardware..."

Next time I have a physical problem with a video card, I am comming and getting you ;)