• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first modded PC - What do ya think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
djs488 said:
okay gotcha ;). do they actually make replacement pins, or are these like adlib.

Yeah, you can buy the pins from most places that sell the PSU changeover kits. I got mine from www.frozencpu.com
They make tools to make removal of the various pins easier, but I decided $10 to $20 was way too much for cheapo little tools and built my own. These are for removing the 6-pin connector and the ATX/P4 Connector. I made them at work tonight. I got lucky, and they actually work great :D
100_0406.jpg

walkitiki said:
Just wanted to tell you how much I like and appreciate what you're doing. I think it's great how you incorperated the, in my opinion ugly, "X" motif on the case and put it into your logo and turned it into a piece of art. Great work, love everything about it!
Thanks. I explained the reason for FX Fusion in one of my previous posts. The X was designed like that to try to stay with the design on the case. I think it turned out rather well too. I am going to make some fan grills using the same X. I will probably engrave the FX Fusion text around the outer ring of the grilles too.

hot deum that is sweet looking - i wish i had your patience!!! - i have not read everything here but was it painted with an air brush or right out of a can ?

man - just finished reasding this - i SO wish i had those tools availible to me - have you considered doing custom cases for people - @ a good price - if you had time you certainly have all of the skills and tools to become a professional custom case modder for people / companies!

i am very very impressed - things like this really motivate me to do my case very nice!

Well, the reason for the lack of updates is I ran into a problem. Either I screwed up when I sleeved the PSU and got some wires crossed, or the motherboard, or CPU is toast. I was very careful when I rewired the PSU so I am 99.9% sure that's not to blame. My brother is coming down tonight to help me figure it out so I can fix the problem and get it up and running. I still have to mount the top plate I made and that is the last thing I really have to do except for some minor sleeving and wire routing. So there's really no more updates for now until I get this problem figured out. That and we recently had a few tornados run through my area and we were without power for quite some time. And we were without internet access even longer. So, sorry for the lag between updates. I'll get some updates out to ya as soon as I get it up and running.

On a side note: I got the video card and the memory installed in this system I am typing on now to test them out, and to make sure they weren't causing any problems. They are fine, and in fact I have something to say about this 9800XT vid card... DAAAYYYUUMMM! I am running "Counter-Strike: Condition Zero" at 1800x1440 resolution with every graphic detail cranked all the way up and I have yet to notice one glitch or slow-down. Even with 32 players in the game. And I've had as many as 30 players visible on my screen at the same time. Friggin' awesome video card I have to say. I'm sure the system memory is helping there too, but I am buying an X800 in a few weeks so I can leave this card in this system because it works so well I can't go back to my 9500 Pro. =D

We got it narrowed down to the motherboard. The CPU is installed in this computer and running great, along with the rest of the system. The guy I bought the board from is going to replace it so that is good news. We tested the power supply that I sleeved, and all currents test fine so it wasn't to blame. Whew! As soon as I get the new board I'll post some updates and benchmarks.

Whoah! Thats awesome impressive.
/me picks up jaws from the floor.

Do you think stuff like the topplate would be possible to make with a regular milling machine? Or do you declare me crazy?
I'm asking because next year, I'll be studying electro-mechanics in school. The school I'm going to is one of the best for that specific class.
During the noon pause/break, you're allowed into the workshop under guidance...
You're allowed to do anything you'd like to do, and even take it home if you pay for the metal you used.

If I want to, I could make my own waterblocks! :)
But a panel like that is a huge step upwards from a simple waterblock...
So, would you say its possible without a CNC?

You also just convinced me to get that specific fan for CPU in my upcoming rig. ;)

don't know if anyone has asked this..but what awesome beast of a machine is that that you used to cut the fusion logo? that looks frickin sweet, is it like a programmable type thing where you tell it what to cut or something like that? anyways that looks awesome, but the only criticism is the choice of case, its a really cheaply-built case with a really generic interior, i think you couldve done better, like maybe an antec case, i love them, the door on that case is Fugly imo but everything else is really nice, i especially like how well you painted the drives and the etched stuff on top, good work so far

Dalilman, actually, he did mention it... :)
Its a CNC milling machine.
Next year I'm going to work with a regular one, as in, no programming.
The one on the left:
atlsher.jpg

Though this isn't a really big one. Its only a tabletop. The one I'll be machining is a floor mount. :)

w00p said:
Do you think stuff like the topplate would be possible to make with a regular milling machine? Or do you declare me crazy?

It would be easier with a Dremel than a manual mill. That is unless you are excellent with an Etch-A-Sketch. Trying to cut the curves using two handles at the same time (X & Y axii) would be very tough. But with a lot of patience it could be done.

dalilman52 said:
but the only criticism is the choice of case, its a really cheaply-built case with a really generic interior, i think you couldve done better, like maybe an antec case

This system I am on now uses an Antec Lanboy aluminum case. If I had to choose, I would choose the A-Top case. The Antec is similar in a lot of ways, but the A-Top blows it away when it comes to options it has like removable case panels. The Antec is all riveted together with only one side panel removable. Removing the PSU in the Antec is next to impossible without dismantling the entire PC too. With the A-Top you can pull the top plate off and she comes right out. As far as the quality of the case, it's on par, or maybe even a tad better than the Antec. I've owned Chieftec, Antec, and various other brands, and so far this one has impressed me the most.

where can you get a cheap milling machine or just the x&y table platform to convert a bench press drill to a mill machine

Back