• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Oveclock, ever!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeffro

Registered
Hi! Well, I've read a lot on here and asked some questions to learn, and yesterday finally got a couple new case fans and some Artic Silver III and went for it!

Here's data on my first attempt (sorry no screen shots, but I'm at work now and don't have them):

P4 1.8A
P4B266
512MB Kingston PC2100
GeForce 2 Ti
Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM

FSB: 115
Voltage: 1.50
Cooling: Retail HSF, 2 Panaflo's in serial
Clock: 2075MHz
Mobo/CPU Idle: 33/28
Mobo/CPU Load: 36/44
Prime95: 15hrs totally stable

I'm happy with this for starters...would like to get FSB up to 132 (really would like 133+ but on this board, memory ratio locked at 1:1 after 132).

Using current equipment, any suggestions for the next step? Should I take FSB up to say, 125 with current voltage? Should I take volts up to 1.6 and go for 132 with FSB? I know its pretty much trial and error but looking for suggestions on next step to take.

Thank you!
Jeff

BadThad

Generally, just increase the bus speed then let it boot into windows. If it makes it, reboot and inc bus speed some more. Keep doing this until the system won't post or windows crashes. When that happens, increase the voltage 0.025v and see it the prob goes away. If not, bump the voltage again 0.025v until all is fine.

Once the system appears to be stable and windows boots, then you can go back and try bumping the bus up another MHz. This is the systematic approach.

..or you can use the HARDCORE method, LOL. Just set the bus to 132 at default voltage and see what happens. HAHAHAHA No boot, keep increasing the voltage until it does. :eek:

I prefer the systematic approach because it lets you really find out what the system can do. :) ....but it takes a lot of patience.

OP
jeffro

jeffro

Registered
Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking systematic approach for me too!

I'm an East Sider :) Actually...I live and work in Blue Ash and am a cincinnati transplant after college. I do know a few people in delhi though.

OP
jeffro

jeffro

Registered
will do...thanks man. I've built a few for some friends and designed a couple websites as side job - I'm an O/C virgin though..

ol' man

I just crank up the vcore and FSB off the bat.I am greedy:D I reccomend the slow method though for starters!