• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first water cooling build, going big!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

Like the title says, I'm pricing and picking parts for my first water cooled system, and I want it to be EPIC! I want to run into as few problems as possible and save where I can, so I would like you's guys' input. This system will be for primarily gaming, but I want to be able to do whatever I want on it without worry of my parts not being up to it. My budget is $3000, which I will have when my income taxes come back (hopefully before the end of January). I already have a monitor (HP 2311x @ 1080p, 60Hz), keyboard and mouse.
Without further adieu, here's what I've found:

Core System:

Corsair Obsidian Series 900D: $359.99
I love the way it looks, it seems easy to build in, and ample space plus sturdy construction means I can reuse this case for years. I want to paint it yellow with some black stripes.

MSI Z97 MPOWER Max AC: $259.99
Again, looks amazing! From what I can tell, this board seems solid, but I will accept suggestions if I am way off.

Intel Core i7 4790k: $349.99
Always wanted an i7. Really bad. Plus, I don't want to have to upgrade if I decide to start video editing and such. I have the money coming in now, no guarantee that I will when I need it.

EVGA Geforce GTX 980 4GB: $549.99
Well, I think we all know why. This is the most affordable one on NewEgg, to my knowledge, and there's a compatible EK block for it. I hope to eventually add a second.

G.SKILL Sniper 2133MHz 2x8GB: $152.99
Fast ram for a decent price right now at -$20. This one may change when I get closer to pulling the trigger, depending on sales and such.

EVGA Supernova 750 G2: $129.99
As recommended by EarthDog.

Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB: $279.99
Right now it's marked down $100, but if that changes, I may go for the 840 Pro if it's cheaper.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM: $69.99
Just a 1TB storage drive, either WD or Seagate, whichever is cheaper (this one is right now).

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro: $139.99
Almost forgot Windows. Doh!

Cost for Core system BEFORE any discounts, or shipping: $2292.91
Current cost listed in my wishlist: $2101.92

Water Cooling Parts:

NoiseBlocker eLoop 120 x4: $107.80
Seems to be a unanimous decision. Thanks guys!

EK-FC980 GTX Water block plus Backplate: $151.98

Swiftech APOGEE XL Custom: $74.95+

This Reservoir with this pump: $179.98

Alphacool NexXxos UT60: $134.99

2 gaskets: $8

Primoflex UV yellow tubing: $24.99

6 of these and 4 of these fittings: $109.90

and a Silver kill coil: $5.99

Plus some distilled water from the local store: $?

Total loop cost minus shipping (and water): ~$803.62

This and this for lighting plus an internal USB adapter: $29.98

Total cost for the entire project before any discounts or shipping, etc.: ~$3126.51

Total cost minus current Newegg discounts: ~$2935.52

So, What do you think? Input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
No need for that board for ambient cooling...Overkill.

Get evga supernova g2 750w for cheaper, and its better.

If you are at 1080p res, I'd drop to a 970 to save some money personally.

I am currently at 1080p, but I want to upgrade to 1440p as soon as I have the money, with a second and third following suit.

I don't know how I missed the supernova, thanks for that. Changing it now.

As for the board, I know it's overkill, but it's also black and yellow with a sweet mosfet block (not that it's needed, but it looks so good). I don't like the way that the UD5H or UD7 TH by Gigabyte look, and the OC Formula by ASRock looks sweet but it's only $50 cheaper and doesn't have the block, wireless, bluetooth or Intel LAN (worth $50 IMO).

Changes I would make would be to go with the 840 EVO over the pro. IMO the minute increase in speed isn't worth the extra cash.

If you want silent fans I'd consider Noiseblocker eLoop or the newer Noctua fans. The Corsair SP120's are good too.

I personally don't think I could ever spend $360 on a case(that's more that your CPU). There are plenty of great cases in the $200-$250 range that will be just as bad***. That said the case is what you'll be staring at for the next 5-10 years so I can understand where your at too. Looks pretty sweet.

Hi Dlaw, I'm also a noob (as far as water cooling goes).

I was wondering why you wanted to have a thin(ish) radiator? You've got tons of space in the 900D and you've said you plan to SLI in the the future (970s much better value imho btw). So why not something with more surface area and greater cooling potential such as the a UT60 for example? After all, you did say "...I want to be able to do whatever I want on it without worry of my parts not being up to it...". Not too sure what that means. Does that mean you may also want to overclock too?

Not bad choice of a case. :D

A few things I will say. That reservoir will look uber small and out of place in the massive 900D. Go with something like this.

Since you're doing a black and yellow theme, I would consider using the same compression fittings all around or they can look somewhat out of touch. Say if you go all swiftech fittings, stick with all swiftech or bitspower for example etc. If your'e going over budget, than grab black barbs with black hose clamps.

With rad fans, not sure how well those fans are as I never see them in rad fan shootouts. I'd advise either going with the budgeted Swfitech Helix 120s or if you want premium, the Noiseblock NB-eLoops B12s or the AP-53s. Don't need to go push and pull. Just go push on all rads.

As for rads, I would also advise on going with 50mm-60mm rads. You have ample room in that super size case.

As for CPU blocks, my personal preference is either the XSPC Raystorm or the Swiftech XL but that's just me. They are about $20 more than the one you have now but I just like those blocks better personally. All WBs perform relatively the same, +/- with in the margin of error.

Not to throw a curve ball here but for the cost of the CPU and MB, you're not that far from switching to 2011-v3. I know the pricey Ram will be the deal breaker but for $400 you can get the i7-5920k and for basically $200-$300 a MB. The ram on the other hand will be a few more hundreds unfortunately but a system like that should last longer than the Z97 but its not a bad system either. I'd be on the wall on that one but you're pretty much already crossing the budget line and need to deploy the brakes.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will look into all of that when I get home today. Basically, I chose the block because it was the most affordable one in black that I found. I will check on the rad and fans when I get home.

I didn't opt for x99 because of the expensive memory, though a 6 core with HT would be sweet. I'll price out some other options when I get home.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will look into all of that when I get home today. Basically,I chose the block because it was the most affordable one in black that I found. I will check on the rad and fans when I get home.
I have to say I had a bit of a laugh at what I underlined Dlaw. There are places you can save money in this build if you want but at this point you're looking at $3k on the build why not spend the $30.00 or so more and get a top Cpu block. Either way it's not a big deal, I just had a bit of a chuckle at it. :thup: on the build which ever way you go.

Might I suggest this Cpu waterblock, it's arguably one of the best on the market today.

Will it make enough of a difference to warrant the extra $35? If so, how big an improvement is it? I don't know enough about blocks to make an informed decision.

Changes I would make would be to go with the 840 EVO over the pro. IMO the minute increase in speed isn't worth the extra cash.

I may go with the EVO, I haven't really decided for sure yet.

If you want silent fans I'd consider Noiseblocker eLoop or the newer Noctua fans. The Corsair SP120's are good too.

Those eLoops look sweet, I never even considered looking on FCPU for fans (noob move me, lol)

I personally don't think I could ever spend $360 on a case(that's more that your CPU). There are plenty of great cases in the $200-$250 range that will be just as bad***. That said the case is what you'll be staring at for the next 5-10 years so I can understand where your at too. Looks pretty sweet.

I've wanted that case pretty much since I saw the review on Newegg for it. I don't know as I'll be easily swayed on it. I just love the way it looks, and holy BIG! lol

Hi Dlaw, I'm also a noob (as far as water cooling goes).

I was wondering why you wanted to have a thin(ish) radiator? You've got tons of space in the 900D and you've said you plan to SLI in the the future (970s much better value imho btw). So why not something with more surface area and greater cooling potential such as the a UT60 for example? After all, you did say "...I want to be able to do whatever I want on it without worry of my parts not being up to it...". Not too sure what that means. Does that mean you may also want to overclock too?

I do intend to overclock, and I'm looking forward to seeing how far everything will go. Honestly, I didn't think that how thick the radiator was really mattered. What I meant was that I want to be able to run any application (within reason) without needing to upgrade, and without hindrance.

Not bad choice of a case. :D

A few things I will say. That reservoir will look uber small and out of place in the massive 900D. Go with something like this.

Noted. Will change OP in a couple of minutes.

Since you're doing a black and yellow theme, I would consider using the same compression fittings all around or they can look somewhat out of touch. Say if you go all swiftech fittings, stick with all swiftech or bitspower for example etc. If your'e going over budget, than grab black barbs with black hose clamps.

Also noted, going to do a little more shopping then.

With rad fans, not sure how well those fans are as I never see them in rad fan shootouts. I'd advise either going with the budgeted Swfitech Helix 120s or if you want premium, the Noiseblock NB-eLoops B12s or the AP-53s. Don't need to go push and pull. Just go push on all rads.

Going pull as well won't allow me to run them slower? Or will it not make enough of a difference to spend the extra money?

As for rads, I would also advise on going with 50mm-60mm rads. You have ample room in that super size case.

Just checked out the UT60, will update OP in a couple of minutes.

As for CPU blocks, my personal preference is either the XSPC Raystorm or the Swiftech XL but that's just me. They are about $20 more than the one you have now but I just like those blocks better personally. All WBs perform relatively the same, +/- with in the margin of error.

Is there any way you could elaborate on a proper method for choosing a CPU block?

Not to throw a curve ball here but for the cost of the CPU and MB, you're not that far from switching to 2011-v3. I know the pricey Ram will be the deal breaker but for $400 you can get the i7-5920k and for basically $200-$300 a MB. The ram on the other hand will be a few more hundreds unfortunately but a system like that should last longer than the Z97 but its not a bad system either. I'd be on the wall on that one but you're pretty much already crossing the budget line and need to deploy the brakes.

X99 is tempting, but I can't figure out a good configuration that will come in under my budget. Heart-braking, really as I would love to have an upgrade path including a ridiculous 8 core HT'd monster and quad SLI.

I have to say I had a bit of a laugh at what I underlined Dlaw. There are places you can save money in this build if you want but at this point you're looking at $3k on the build why not spend the $30.00 or so more and get a top Cpu block. Either way it's not a big deal, I just had a bit of a chuckle at it. :thup: on the build which ever way you go.

I worded that poorly, so re-reading that, I kind of laughed myself, lol. I admittedly don't know much about CPU blocks, so my way of thinking was, as long as it is black, it'll work. So, I set the filter to display them from lowest price to highest, and picked the first black one I saw.

Thank you all for the replies! Going back into shopping mode to see what I can do to improve this a little.

Edit: After shopping for a while, and taking into consideration all of everyone's advice, I have revised my list in the OP. Does anything else look out of place?

Last edited:
Dlaw heres a nice comparison of quite a few different blocks out there. Please note though that these comparisons will always have a margin of error by a few degrees. Also different blocks will perform better/worse based on your socket type, TIM application method, etc.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1505481/summer-water-block-round-up-2014

Thanks for that, it does seem that the Supremacy Evo does handily beat the Supreme LTX I had picked out by 5-8*C on all of those, doesn't it?

Those eLoops have good enough static pressure and low audibles that it won't matter if you go push and pull. Just pick one since it can get very pricey.

Also, the CPU you'd want to pick mainly is for looks. Almost all top competitors perform about the same within margin of error. Take a look at the Swfitech XL as you can make it a Yellow LED effect towards your theme.

.... and you can even create your own custom shade by coloring the included white plate with a permanent marker as shown in the example below:

APOGEE-XLC-MSI.jpg

Source

Those eLoops have good enough static pressure and low audibles that it won't matter if you go push and pull. Just pick one since it can get very pricey.

Also, the CPU you'd want to pick mainly is for looks. Almost all top competitors perform about the same within margin of error. Take a look at the Swfitech XL as you can make it a Yellow LED effect towards your theme.

Source

SOLD!

Edit: Maybe, if they get back into stock. Otherwise, I guess it will be the Supremacy Evo.

Last edited:
SOLD!

Edit: Maybe, if they get back into stock. Otherwise, I guess it will be the Supremacy Evo.

And IF you really wanna go the extra mile, you can get a custom sketch for that plating from Performance-pcs like I did for a theme build. Pricing my vary on the custom design you want done or you could pick their existing custom designs.

Frozencpu and Performance-pcs are the powerhouses in the states when it comes to H20 parts so if one doesn't have them the other usually does.

Last edited:
And IF you really wanna go the extra mile, you can get a custom sketch for that plating from Performance-pcs like I did for a theme build. Pricing my vary on the custom design you want done or you could pick their existing custom designs.

Frozencpu and Performance-pcs are the powerhouses in the states when it comes to H20 parts so if one doesn't have them the other usually does.

No Freaking Way! OK USA, give me mah MONAY! I need one of these NOW!

Seriously though, I had invisioned something like this since the dreaming stage of this build, but I didn't think it existed. Thank you, sir!

No Freaking Way! OK USA, give me mah MONAY! I need one of these NOW!

Seriously though, I had invisioned something like this since the dreaming stage of this build, but I didn't think it existed. Thank you, sir!

:rofl: Yeah, me too. lol No problem and enjoy. :salute:

Just make sure if you ever take the face plate off you don't lose those 4 plastic posts holding it down since those 4 plastic posts are very small as I ended up losing one. Had to pay a few bucks to Swiftech to send me a few. heh

So, looking at some of the other ideas I've been having, doing research and searching for ideas has been proving fruitful. I am so excited for this build, my girlfriend is starting to get jealous, lol. I do have a question for JackBauer, if you don't mind.

As you probably saw in the OP, I want to have a couple of UV cold cathodes and a yellow LED strip. My question is, will the LED strip be too much, not enough or better in a different color with regard to the CCs? I definitely don't want the LEDs to overpower the UVs, I just want a nice compliment that also makes everything in the case more visible. Since you already have the 900D, could you "shed some light" (pun intended) on the subject?

Any LED me thinks will cancel out the cold cathodes. Got a box full of old cathodes, some still not used. Cold cathodes are in the past for me. Went all out LED and never turned back. The 900D is a massive case, hence the name "Super Tower". lol For example you could use a LED strip at the bottom area of the case in hopes of coloring the bottom part and changing color on the top area. Giving it a "two tone" effect. Its all visual for me atm with this case other than the LED / Bay controller I've been using. With the new lighting strips I got for the Corsair Link, I am hoping I can setup a "Two Tone" effect in the case. Don't forget, if you're modding something to glow, there are UV LED strips.

Are there any good UV LEDs? I'd prefer them, but I had doubts that they would do the job well. Also, those LED strips, are they hard to set up? I've never dealt with them before.

Back