• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first water cooling update / question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tdot

Registered
Hi, some of you may or may not remember, but I first visited here a few months back requesting help about my first water cooling set up. Fortunately for me, some of you guys were very very helpful and answered a lot of my questions and help me figure things out.

Today I just want to make a post with an update and get a double check on my temps with you guys and take this opportunity to say thank you to those that helped.

Rig Specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.0GHZ 1.23v
Asrock p67 Extreme 4
8GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600MHZ DDR 3
Nvidia GTX 670 OC
512GB Samsung 840 Pro

Water cooling specs:
EK Supremacy CPU Waterblock Clean CSQ Acetal
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 360
EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ Acetal
Swiftech MCP655 Pump
1/2" OD tubings

Room ambient temp is about 25 - 27C

pump setting on 4, 3 x XSPC Xinruilian 1650 RPM fans running at 1140 - 1170 RPM roughly, using Shin Etsu x23-7783D

Computer idle temp according to coretemp is 28C lowest core, 37C highest core

Did a 10 run test with IBT set to very stressful and 4 core temps ranged from 40 - 49 Max.

How are the temps looking guys?

Temps seem fine to me! Good job! You can easily get away with lowering the pump speed as well. I have 2 rads and its set on 3 with plenty of flow (a hair more quiet).

Temps are fine. Lower the pump to 3. Never heard of that paste before so in the future I would replace that along with the fans. Might get you a few C's off.

What do you guys think about the XSPC fan? I was thinking about replacing them with Noctua NF-F12s, but I don't think it will cool better, or enough to justify the price point. (since they're like 25 each, and XSPC fans were like 8 dollars each lol) I have one gentle typhoon test fan sitting at the back of my case, however they don't seem that crazy strong over the XSPC fan either

What exact fan? Saying XSPC fan is like saying Ford. There are diff ones.

Your temps are fine, a slight fan change isn't going to make much difference.

Uless you get some 3000+ RPM 38mm thick screamers, earplugs not included.

What exact fan? Saying XSPC fan is like saying Ford. There are diff ones.

Your temps are fine, a slight fan change isn't going to make much difference.

Uless you get some 3000+ RPM 38mm thick screamers, earplugs not included.

Sorry I mentioned it in OP, so i thought i didn't need to rewrite it, it's the XSPC xinruilian 1650 RPM fans :)

AP-15s are best fans atm until something else beats it for low FPI rads. If you have a low FPI rad than that's the fan to get. If you need more for a high FPI rad than grab AP-30s.

seems like everyone is encouraging AP-15s here, hmm the only thing i worry about is what some people have said about certain whining noises with the APs

I have used 8 of them, I never heard anything but a good fan noise, quiet and pleasing.

Sorry, I missed your fans in your OP.

You do have a low FPI rad but it's really thick. I do think the AP 15's will give somewhat better pressure and possibly a bit better noise sound. Won't see very much cooling difference. Since your cooling is already so good I wouldn't bother changing anything.

Cheers, I'm deciding to use my existing AP-15 + 2 more instead of those XSPC fans, I think the AP-15s would be a bit quieter at the same RPM range, also going to add rubber radiator gasket between the fans and the rad and maybe even between the case and the fans hopefully it kills off as much noise as possible :)

Hey guys, thanks for all these reply, also wondering, The pump itself generate heat and that would lead to an increase temp in water correct? So it might help a little if it had some cool air cooling the pump area? (I'm using a D5 pump directly attached to the EK pump top / res )

Back