• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My folding is going to be cut

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
I almost feel as if this should go in gripes and moans...

Who thinks up these stooopid policies the phone company (SBC) uses? My roomate moved out, and the phone was in his name. So to get the phone in my name, I have to cancel my DSL service with Earthlink, get the phone changed over, then sign up with DSL again.

What a PITA!!!

The end result is one folder down for about three weeks, or until I go buy a modem :eek: A modem for crying out loud. argh...

I'll admit it, I'm a high speed access junkie, spoiled on T-1 connections at work and DSL at home. I might not surive this. I think that in the lack of service, I'll use the time I would be surfing to build a dedicated box, or a farm for that matter.

I think I have some cpu's around here somewhere... :D

Fold like your mamma's going to catch you,
Wedo

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Hey Wedo, just noticed you are in Los Angeles too. Get cable! I have it at my house and office, much faster here in LA. I have AT&T at home and Adelphia at the office, I get like 3 megabits/sec., twice a T1. And they usually install within days... I'd hate to pass you under these circumstances:D

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
sorry to hear about the troubles and downtime Wedo! Have fun with the farming though, good luck with that:D Wedo is gonna come back even stronger:eek:

FOLD ON
NAS

overdoze

Sorry to here that Wedo, I remember when OC3d was in trouble and it took a while to come back up. Perhaps you can speed things up with cable modem?

you can still fold with dial up so that is not such bad news after all or you could share wireless internet with one of your neighbor for 2 weeks. Just an idea however...

RoadWarrior

You never know, try telling them you were a gay couple (or straight if it was a she) , might work. Of course if he's getting reconnected at another address it won't wash, but if he's gone out of the area it might work. Have they mentioned a ridiculously huge deposit yet??

Road Warrior

demon-eater

You never know, try telling them you were a gay couple (or straight if it was a she) , might work. Of course if he's getting reconnected at another address it won't wash, but if he's gone out of the area it might work. Have they mentioned a ridiculously huge deposit yet??

ha ha you got a nice sense of humor there... although whatever you are it doesn't matter to me

you might wanna try that though , it might work

walaka7

Here in california, cable is faster, and by a lot too. However, you cant beat DSL realiability. I know there will be those that say they dont have problems. BUt i have several friends out here that have cable .. and all of them with the exception of one, have had concurent days without service. I currently have DSL and have had for 3 years. That is also the number of days ive been ofline. and two of those were "software issues".

On another note: wedo hope you get your line soon :) .. If you need a temp home for the folding rig, i got an extra port :D

Thespis377

Sorry to hear that Wedo. Well, let's just hope that the phone company will get off their lazy butts and get things switched. I personally have Bellsouth DSL, which also is the phone company. Gotta love the simplicity of that. My DSL only goes down when the phone lines go down.

Last edited:
OP
Wedo

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Thanks for the kind words, and ideas. I don't know how the "life partner" idea would pan out, but it's pretty funny none-the-less.

I have made the switch from Earthlink DSL to SBC/Yahoo DSL with the deciding factor being price. Earthlink was running $50 a month, and they piggy-back on the SBC lines anyway. SBC is offering the first six months at $29.95 for the same connection speed which has been fast and reliable up to this point.

Since I just reduced my monthly bills by about $55 (took some "services" off the phone too as I don't need them), I'm thinking I need to spend that money on some pts/wk. :D

Wedo