• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my friend is coming over for a lan day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mushudo

Registered
well he wants me to send him some things (he has 56k at home) is there a program so i can send some files over to him at the high speed?

tehnull

windows file sharing is unreliable and insecure. I'd recommend using ftp. there are several ftp server programs out there me personally I use TFTPD and ServU

Mr.Guvernment

^^^ not locally on a lan it is not...lol and you can not do windows file sharing over the internet net unless you set up a VPN - and in that case it is secure.

tehnull

FTP is simpler more reliable and more standardized. FTP transfers can be resumed can you say the same of windows file sharing? And actually you can access peoples shares over the internet iirc. Just because your isp blocks it doesn't mean his doesn't.

JDXNC

tehnull said:
FTP is simpler more reliable and more standardized. FTP transfers can be resumed can you say the same of windows file sharing? And actually you can access peoples shares over the internet iirc. Just because your isp blocks it doesn't mean his doesn't.

If you are on a a lan, why would you need to pause and resume? Windows file sharing is REALLY easy.. and for this simple task it just makes more sense than setting up an ftp server... blah blah blah... yes its a good method, but this situation does not need it.

Mr.Guvernment

tehnull said:

Who said anything about my ISP blocking anything?

If i right click on a folder right now and share it - how exactly are you going to access it via the internet - please explain? (with out using any 3rd prty software that is)

simply going http://myip wont give you access to my windows shared folders...

And as said - transfering some files over a 100mb LAN should be quick enough - i transfer daily 2-15g in my network and it takes no more then 20-30 mins to complete - i think they can take a break now and then - not to mention the extra hassle of having to setup and install an ftp server and thena client - just more work when more work is not neccesary - and if your connection drops while using windows file sharing - then you got issues on oyur lan - which will also interfer with your LAN gaming.

TalRW

Yea and on a LAN unless the files they are transfering are large sizes (multiple gigs) I don't think it really matters. I mean it probably won't take that long. Personally I think setting up the whole FTP thing would be more trouble than it's worth.

Secondly yea you may be able to use the FTP on the internet, but thats beside the point, he said they would be connected via LAN, and even if he wanted to get something off the internet the friend has 56k and if the files were of decent size again it wouldn't be worth it. Use windows file sharing.

tehnull

lol gammaftp takes a whole 10 seconds to set up.. literally unzip it and go granted it's very insecure in default configuration (it allows read and write access to your whole drive) but that only takes anoither 15secs of editing a very simple config file.

jajmon

Mushudo said:
well he wants me to send him some things (he has 56k at home) is there a program so i can send some files over to him at the high speed?

Seeing as he will be on your LAN for the 'LAN DAY', just use windows file sharing, and 'send' him the files then, when he is on your LAN. Can't your 'send' wait until he is on your LAN?

OP
Mushudo

Mushudo

Registered
heh i aint that stupid guys. i meant once he got over. o well the day has passed. it was kinda difficult setting up the lan so we both also got internet but it all worked out. i sent him about 2 gigs.

Flewdefur

the only way someone on the internet would be able to see a windows file share would be if you had netbios over tcp/ip enabled and then on top of it opened up the netbios ports and then ontop of that had an isp that let netbios open. More than likely your personal firewall and the lack of having netbios installed would be fine. Also with windows file sharing you can turn off "simple file sharing" to allow you to grant specific permissions and privelages to folders. You dont even have to be in the same domain, just type \\ip\share name in IE and you'll see the folder. There is no reason to set up a FTP on a windows LAN simply to transfer files, this would however be the perfect quick solution to transfering files to a linux or mac machine which require slightly more work to enable file sharing with a windows machine.