• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My GPU Cooling Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[KX3]rAge

I know the pics are quite terrible, so no need for complaining about that, but here are some pics of my modded 9600XT.
I promised a few people to show them some pics, so I dug up a very old webcam and took these horrid quality pics, but you can at least get the idea! :lol:

gpu3.jpg

gpu2.jpg

gpu1.jpg

And last but not least, the results!

gputemp.jpg

The 28C is while running all day today including a bit of gaming, and also the card is OC'ed, not bad if I do say so myself!

:cool:

Sjaak

28 would be extremely low for a GPU, even with decent cooling..what ambient temps do you have? My ti4200 went over 60 with stock (noisy) cooling, and is now under 50 with modded (silent) cooling

OP
[KX3]rAge

[KX3]rAge

Sjaak said:
28 would be extremely low for a GPU, even with decent cooling..what ambient temps do you have? My ti4200 went over 60 with stock (noisy) cooling, and is now under 50 with modded (silent) cooling
With stock cooling it ran at about high 30's and low 40's load, 28C is easily reasonable for the 9600XT
Clocker2 has his at 26C with some heatpipe cooler as well, so my temps are accurate.
And as for an article, I'll do a short one, but I don't have any pics of the process, I can take more pics of it now though, like how it's mounted, etx

Sjaak

JimmyG said:
Why don't you write an article on how you did this?

If he would do so, i wouldn't mind. but what about the rest? the frontpage would be flooded with small mods, mods like some of us do about daily.

OP
[KX3]rAge

[KX3]rAge

Alright here goes.
My card was running a little to warm for my likings, especially since I wanted to OC it a bit higher. So the mind of a modder kicked in and I just had to make it better.
I took my old stock AMD heatsink from my Barton 2500+. It is quite a nice heatsink surprisingly, I was surprised at it's copper center, which is very nice.
However the ehatsink was a little to large to begin with. There were capacitators surrounding the GPU chip, wo the heatsink needed to be cut down a bit. So I got out the old hacksaw and went to work.
After a few hours I had gotten it to the size needed. Then came the next problem....How to mount the thing!
Well my card already had mounting holes, so I took advantage of them. I took some of that cement type stuff that comes in two tubes and when it is mixed it becomes rock solid. I took that and mounted two little pieces of metal onto the heatsink, one on each side. They were just little pieces of sheet metal with a hole drilled into it for the clip to fit in. After much lining up and measuring I had the clips mounted.
After that it was quite simple to mount the heatsink onto the card.
Here are some pics of the clips and the mounted heatsink.

clips2.jpg

clips3.jpg

clips.jpg

The clips are just like a kind of pushpin type thing.

Then I just mounted a small fan onto the side of the heatsink blowing air through the fins.
This mod lowered my graphics load temps by about 8-9 degrees celcius, well worth the time and effort in my opinion. :)

ap673

I actually have an old barton 2500 stock heatsink, this looks interesting. My stock fan for my 9800np isnt loud or anything but I can't tell if it's keeping it cool, I guess there is no way of checking r350 core temps?!

OP
[KX3]rAge

[KX3]rAge

ap673 said:
I actually have an old barton 2500 stock heatsink, this looks interesting. My stock fan for my 9800np isnt loud or anything but I can't tell if it's keeping it cool, I guess there is no way of checking r350 core temps?!
As far as I know just the 9600XT and the 9800XT have temp sensors, and all the nVidia cards after the FX5200 as well

ap673

So is it just the XT brand ATI cards, or can the pro's and nonpro's give temp readings too?

OP
[KX3]rAge

[KX3]rAge

ap673 said:
So is it just the XT brand ATI cards, or can the pro's and nonpro's give temp readings too?
no pro's and non pro's can not, just the 9600XT and the 9800XT

Jawadali

It looks real nice, especially the ble LED fan with no housing :).

I'm planning to mod my Radeon 9800 soon too.

OP
[KX3]rAge

[KX3]rAge

Jawadali said:
It looks real nice, especially the ble LED fan with no housing :).

I'm planning to mod my Radeon 9800 soon too.
Good luck with your mod

OP
[KX3]rAge

[KX3]rAge

dead_man311 said:
i like that , that is sweet looking. realy nice job there
Thanks again
The only thing I regret about it is not having a digicam to take pics throughout the process of the mod :bang head
Even still I had to use an old sh*tty web cam

Jawadali

I was thinking that it was epoxy, but he didn't mention if it's thermal epoxy or just regualar epoxy.

I guess if you mix some thermal compound with normal epoxy, it will transfer heat better.