• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My home-made watercoolrig up and running

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hawker-rider

HI all,

I just have my watercooling rig up and running, and it is sweeettttt

I run 15C idle and under full load i get a peak of 23C That compared to my vulcano9Cu with loadtemps of 58C it is just great!! My room temp is about 80-85 right now, and wll get a little warmer in the summer.

the whole system cost me about $100 And I bought myself a brand new maze3 block, as i couldn't find a used one. With a nice big heatercore from a chevytruck! I found an atricle on Tomshardware that had some guys make a setup outside of their case using a file-folder box. I did this too, as i rather get it done good, and once than to keep goofing around. It's wonderfully quit, took me only 1 day to build. Made a relay so it turns on with my computer instead of running 24/7, and included a light-dimmer switch, so I can also adjust the speed of the fans (2x 120mm 115V) and i let the fans run at about 1/4th of their max rpm, as this gets pretty good suction over the heatercore!

next step is memory upgrade so I can overclock this XP2100+

M

OP
Hawker-rider

Hawker-rider

I don't have a digicam yet, and i am debating about a digital camera or some better memory.......

Did i mention I have a wife and a kid.....LOL

M

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Erm, I gotta be a spoiler because someone else will catch it anyways. Those are great readings, but both your idle and load temperatures are below your ambient room temperatures.

Room temp 80F-85F = 26.7C-29.4C
Idle temp 15C = 59F
Load temp 23C = 73.4F

However, you only have an 8C difference between idle and load temps, and that isn't too bad in my opinion (but who knows how much that is even worth with the overall reading inaccuracy). Your readings don't reflect your actual temps at all however. :-/

More important than temps though, you sound like you worked out some nice logistics with the out of case setup, relay, and light-dimmer switch... and you made your first water setup without frying anything yet. Well done. :)

If you want to post pics just get them hosted and use the img tags.

Here's a link for those of you that want a quick calculator for conversions of all sorts, including Fahrenheit and Celcius:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/wgrfc/convert.html

OP
Hawker-rider

Hawker-rider

Hey IMOG,

you are exactly right, so i went and took some readings, it is exactly 72F in my room now, which will be around 22C.

I looked in my Bios and through all programs that read thge cpu-diode (e.g CPUCool, MBM, ASUSProbe) the temp is the same, stable at 15C under idle webbrowsing. If I feel the front of my radiator I feel quite a good aiflow getting sucked in, I DO know that My fans are creating a bit of a venturi effect through the radiator, I figured that that would be able to get the temps slightly below roomtemp.

I'm not sure though, as that does sound weird, and I don't think that ALL my temp readings are wrong, the same diode told me with tthe aircooling that it ran up to 58C under load, if my readings are wrong by 15c that would be really high!!

All the temps right now are CPUdiode 15C CPUsocket30 Motherboard temp 32 and room72F

Weird huh... anyother views?

M

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Hmm, you've considered the venturi effect as a factor... 7C below ambient at idle is very considerable, and a single degree above ambient under load is also - they just aren't possible temperatures without cooling methods other than just water or air by themselves.

It's been a little while for me, so perhaps you have a better handle on how the venturi effect behaves, but when I studied it we usually referred to the bernoulli effect more often. If you want to explain the venturi effect a little I think it would be cool to read about (I'm serious, not being a jerk)... google is less than good for this one.

Regardless, there is no fan effect with dual 120mm axial fans on the radiator that would drop the temperature of the rad even a whole degree celcius below ambient - even if there were no heatload on the radiator at all.

Those are wierd readings... I don't know what to tell you, except that wierd readings are no rarity. I think the frequency of wierd readings around here is a good testament to the general inaccuracy of the sensors commonly used.

Anyways, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :beer:

OP
Hawker-rider

Hawker-rider

Hi Imog,

I can explain it pretty simple about the venturi effect. Firstly we just look at the side view of a cone, with the one side being wider then the other side, So this is in a converging tube, In this case the radiator is at the smaller opening and the fans are at the greater opening.

The smaller opening had a greater velocity, and lower Temperature and lower pressure then the bigger opening, the otherway it is for diverging venturi. There are formulas for that top calculate exactly what rise/drop you will see, but I have no way of exactly knowing the speed of air etc, so that would be too much.

All in all you will get lower temperature through this system, and lower than ambient sure is a possibility.... Although i'm seriously doubting my temperature readings, i will post into the ASUS forum to see if anybody has an idea about that.
bernoulli would also be correct in this, only that it involves pressure and volume and not so much temperature, but they are all related.

M