• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My homemade w/c setup !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Hi all,
as I said earlier me and my dad have built me H2O-cooling setup :cool:
Everything is working as a charm
running my
2.26 @ 2.96 for now. Just got 14 221 3D mark points too :)
Well question is how should I have all the stuff positioned.
Right now I have water reservoir and my radiator the ground beside my CPU which means when I turn off everyting all the water eventually goes down to reservoir.
Is this a bad thing ??? Will my waterblock and radiator rust from inside or something ?
Right now I have only water in my setup. What could I use instead/with water.
I know about "Water Wetter" but I can't find it here where I live ( Sweden )
Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks in advance !!!

Frodo Baggins

It'll corrode and develope algue most likely (depends on your setup) if you use pure water. Get yourself some antifreeze. I know mpost ppl say it kills temps, but if you use about 5-8% antifreeze, then it won't do that much, and it'll keep crap from growing

OP
M

Melhisedek

Well I bought some destiled water and the closest thing that I could to Antifreeze. Some fluid that you can pour in your car so water won't freeze in winter.
It consists of
30-70 % Ethanol and
30-50% Isopropylalkohol

( Yeah equation is somewhat :beer: but that is what it says )

So is this what should I use or ??? And also how to use it. How often to change destiled water and so on...
Thanks in advance

NeoMoses

Can you find something by the name of "Dex-Cool"? It's a type of anti-freeze formulated by GM that works really well.

OP
M

Melhisedek

Well I'll try but what should I use with these things that I have now ??? I heard that you can use Destiled water with some dishwasher in it

juliendogg

dish soap will lessen the surface tension of the water, in theory helping to provide better heat transfer, may also keep some of the funkies out of the water. that's all i'm using, distilled water uv dye and a bit of dish soap

OP
M

Melhisedek

Ok thanks.
but what about the position of the components ??? Do all of you have water in your waterblock even when you turn off the pump ?

Last edited:

Frodo Baggins

Melhisedek said:
Well I bought some destiled water and the closest thing that I could to Antifreeze. Some fluid that you can pour in your car so water won't freeze in winter.
It consists of
30-70 % Ethanol and
30-50% Isopropylalkohol

( Yeah equation is somewhat :beer: but that is what it says )

So is this what should I use or ??? And also how to use it. How often to change destiled water and so on...
Thanks in advance

don't add more then 10%, or you'll be getting bad temps

JML

be careful about what anti-freeze you use. I used to use antifreeze when I had a res- 2 months later I had (I'm not sure what to call it..) "sludge" in my res. Very disgusting.