• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My i7 2600k overclocked w/ pics.. question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lawlington

Registered
I just built a new rig, I7 2600k, sabertooth P67 with thermal armor (looks solid :)) and 8 gigs dual channel ram, I want 16 gigs, and was wondering what you guys recommend , G.SKILL ? Either way I will be going with 4, 4GB sticks...

Anyways.. I was playing around in BIOS (which I upgraded to the latest 1801, 1805 is still beta) and I just OC'd my 2600K. But look how cool things are? 38C ? WTF? And I am on the stock heatsink. I built an i7-950 comp a while ago and used the V10 heatsink and it was still hot, this thing has the smallest heatsink, and I am running at 4.5ghz and it is at 38C ?!!??!

Here is a link to coretemp and cpu-z when stock:
http://lawlington.comli.com/ihost/images/frupert/mypcnotoverclocked.jpg

NOW....
Here is my CPU-Z pic after upping the multiplier to 43 (103.02 x 43):
Link--> http://lawlington.comli.com/ihost/images/frupert/cpuzwow.jpg

So is this processor that godly that my temps, even with the stock tiny (smaller then the one that came with my i7 950, and that was wayyy to small for it and was practically overheating, yet is this processor just a whole new animal??

Also, Coretemp always reads at 4.4GHZ while cpu-z will be at 1.6ghz and once I start doing something (encoding, or anything heavy) then it jumps up to 4.4.. is that normal? check out this when I right click-cpu-z, am I only OC'ing one core? sometimes it shows core 2 and 3 (3 & 4) at 4.4 while the others are at 1.6 or is that just a glitch... here is the pic:

http://lawlington.comli.com/ihost/images/frupert/whycore4.jpg

Thanks for the help. I'm looking for water cooling and corsair has this 70$ all-enclosed never-refil kit, for 70 bucks? (link below) could it really be that much better? The v10 heatsync (massive air-cooled beast) on my old system was like 130$ .What do you guys suggest for the best heatsink so I can push this and really not worry. (but at 38C ... this is redic,).
Will this be the best ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015&Tpk=corsair h60

Or should I go with the MONSTER V10 (I have a full tower case with tons of room): http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2880 , or is water cooling always better? I don't want something I have to refill so would that corsair water cooler blow away any air-cooled dealio ?

Here is how it is under load:

3.jpg

Here is how it is at idle:

atidle.jpg

yet CoreTemp will read 4.4ghz the WHOLE time, even when cpu-z says 1.6... so which one is correct.. ? any different program to recommend? (windows 7 64bit)

Also, before I OC'd it (just clicked two things in the sick EFI GUI bios, it would chill around 1.6ghz then under load run up to 3.6-3.8ghz so I guess the processor is smart and just speeds up when needs too? is that HyperThreading ?

So is it safe to have it the way it is? or could I be frying my chip slowly w/o realizing it? It seems like I could go to 5.5ghz right now... just by upping the multiplier... and it has been on for hours doing all sorts of programming so it seems stable... what do you guys think, stable, or go back to default?

Regarding the speed changes that is because you have speedstep and c1e turned on. Coretemp reads whatever the speed is set at when it loads the application (I believe), but it doesn't change. With CPU-Z it will change depending on the load on the PC.

Those are some pretty impressive clocks that you are running for such low vcore.

Programming isn't nearly as much of a stress test as if you were running LinX or Prime95 blend. I'd recommend trying to run those for a few hours to see if you are truly stable and see what your temps do under those conditions.

Cpu-z, realtemp, aida64 and hwinfo64 give me the correct values.
A cpu at a fixed speed+voltage will only heat up when you put real load on it. Not the 30% jumps, or even 80% quick peaks. Running prime95 sure will increase those temps. Should go well over 60°C with a decent overclock. If this is not the case your bios version could cause this. I recall reading about the asus 1801 bios and some reported extremely low temps, lower than before. That can't be oke, so make sure your temps really are as they are.

thanks for the update, in bios it reads 60c and rightg now core temp is reading 40c.... any other ideas on OCing this, should I bump up the bus speed? i used to have an i7 950, so should i put the 100 up to like 150 ? I think the FSB the higher it goes the hotter/more wear it gets, as in, it's healthier to OC with just a multi correct? ANy idea on ram settings? This time I have X.M.P and there is only 1 profile and im at 4.3ghz, i want that 4.45 :) but maybe this will make my ram faster too

I'm under the impression that "CoreTemp" is out of date, and should be disused. Switch to "RealTemp" or any of the others that Bisquit mentions to measure anything accurately.

Here is my CPU-Z of memory, I have Patriot 1600mhz ram, how do i OC it, and why does it only say 800mhz?

memory.jpg

I understand the latenceys, like its 8-9-8-24 correct? would/could i change that? does the 1:6 have to do with getting to 1600mhz (thats what they come stock), how could I OC them to 1866 or w./e

I'm confused too... are you really OCing your FSB (base clock) to 133MHz??? I didn't think that was possible for sandy-bridge mobos.

That would be 800/6 = 133.

Where does it show FSB 133, it says 100.3 or w/e, (103.0 x 43) . but in BIOS I have the option from 100-300

Ah you are talking about the ram.. I just set this X.M.P profile , and thats it. So is 133mhz good? I had DDR3 1600 ram, so technically, what is it running at now? 1833 ?

ok here it is with the new programs, check out that bench...
Sadly in the motherboard, it gives me the option to set the multi on all Cores, or individual cores, but when I change the number from 43, it goes right back. I wish I could raise it more. Any tips?

4.jpg

The edit button is your friend.

regarding your RAM speed, if it says 800, it is really running at 1600 because of how CPU-Z displays DDR memory.

CoreTemp and RealTemp are fine to be used to watch temperatures (as long as they are the newest versions, of course).

The edit button is your friend.

regarding your RAM speed, if it says 800, it is really running at 1600 because of how CPU-Z displays DDR memory.

CoreTemp and RealTemp are fine to be used to watch temperatures (as long as they are the newest versions, of course).

So should I go into ram settings and set anything to boost the ram a little bit? When I selected X.M.P profile, or w/e and was just posting before, it crashed , BSOD memory dump, so I set it back to the 100.3 x 43 cpu OC and it seems to just FIRE. chills at 1.6 and then shoots up to ~4.5 if needed, but I would like to raise that a tiny bit more. ESP when I get water cooling. maybe 5.5ghz just to test, then ill chill at 4.4ghz and leave it like that for ever lol.

I prefer to set my settings manually instead of the XMP. Odds are against you to have a chip that can do 5.5ghz (55x multi is pretty rare), most of the time people get chips that max out around 53-53x. Even with watercooling you will still have to put a good amount of vcore into the chip to be pushing those speeds.

You will gain little in overclocking the ram, it's already pretty snappy as is.
Your benchmark tests will show better results ofcourse, but in real life computer using you will notice nothing. It's just statistics.

You can lower the cas latencies and increase speed in Mhz. Something like 9-9-9-24 or 10-10-10-28 etc.
or,
If it's 1.5v ram you can increase the voltage a little bit, Don't go over 1.65v.
If it's already 1.65v ram you only can try the latencies.

If you can run 4,5Ghz at 1.300v or lower, then maybe you can run over 5Ghz with a not too high cpu voltage,
or,
you can fry your cpu, buy another one and start over again.

do people have i7 2600k overclock listings of all the commands they use, and the safe voltages? Right now I am using i7 Turbo GT, and when I check the box "turbo disable" my CPU is at a steady 3.4ghz. but as soon as I uncheck it, it jumps up to 4300ghz, 100 x 43. Should I just leave it like that? I haven't touched the voltages it's all automatic. Or should I tweak it myself and instead of Auto I might make it a safer value (or is auto always the safest)

I wont touch the ram, but I want it back to how my processor chilled at 1.6 then flew up to 4.4, now it is either 3.4, or when I uncheck this box, its 4.3 constant hmm

This is the new B3 revision or whatever... what did you not think was possible? I'm not sure if it was stable, I turned off HT so I only show 4 cores, and I use Real Temp, and under settings I just select "Disable Turbo" and it is just still at 3400.7, but as soon as I uncheck that, it goes to 4500.9. There is no fluctuation, which may be a good thing? (before the multi was going all over the place)

I wont touch the ram, but I want it back to how my processor chilled at 1.6 then flew up to 4.4, now it is either 3.4, or when I uncheck this box, its 4.3 constant hmm

real temp 3.67 and I use realtemp.exe.

As you noticed you can disable turbo in the realtemp menu. However, this is only usefull for troubleshooting. Because you can also disable turbo in bios. It's meant to be switched "on" btw.

Again, it's just a feature from realtemp. Your system is meant to run at 3,8Ghz under full load, this is according to intel. The default clock of your chip is 3,4Ghz but intel says you should run it at the 3,8.

If you want to overclock your cpu, it's of no interest to wonder if you would be better off running without turbo, you shouldn't overclock in the first place if you're troubled by that.

But again, you can leave turbo on, and simply use the default clocks or overclock through multiplier and vcore.

If at a certain stage you're comfortable with your cpu overclock, you can look into the ram, to make it even more efficient, squeezing everything out of it.
But I say it again, you wont gain much system improvements overall speeding up the ram, just in benchmarks. Effectively it would be smarter to buy 2200Mhz ram to be done with that. And even then it's hard to tell the difference besides the obvious benches.

Back