• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My main rig will not access other computers shared files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
My main rig is messed up. I can see the other computers on the network but when I try to access the shared files it hangs and will not shut down. The other computers can access each other and even my main rig.

I made sure that everything was set to 'workgroup' and even manually set the IP manually. No luck. All comps are using Win XP.

Everything was working fine a few days prior. VNC works fine also.

Any help?

fiveohhh

what has changed in the past few days? JUst to make sure when you try to access other computers shares, your main rig locks up completly ctrl-alt-del won't get ya in?

bdf24

Did you check to see if WinXP enabled it's personal firewall? I've had similiar problem's to the one your having when it was enabled. I've noticed sometime's even the littlest change in some protocols or network setting's will automatically enable the personal firewall.

OP
stompah

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
fiveohhh said:
what has changed in the past few days? JUst to make sure when you try to access other computers shares, your main rig locks up completly ctrl-alt-del won't get ya in?
Nothing has changed when this happened. I have fiddled with it since then.

The search window will ALWAYS lock up. Sometimes other programs will function properly and sometimes not. Ctrl-alt-del and ending the program will not work. The computer will only shut down by pressing the reset button.

And nothe firewall wasnt enabled. I just checked it bdf24.

I do have Sygate. But I made 0 changes it to it when this happened. I did notice when running Kazaa (on another rig on the network) that I got alerts from all the time till Sygate locked that IP for 600 seconds. I am no longer running Kazaa. Anti-virus never turned anythng up.

DanFraser

When this problem occurs... could you do an 'ipconfig /all' at the command prompt? thats Start-Run-type 'cmd' and type in 'ipconfig /all'... then post the results!

I just wanna see whats happening with the network card...

OP
stompah

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
DanFraser said:
When this problem occurs... could you do an 'ipconfig /all' at the command prompt? thats Start-Run-type 'cmd' and type in 'ipconfig /all'... then post the results!

I just wanna see whats happening with the network card...
Ok I cannot explain this. When I tried to do this it immediately connected and showed me all the shared files. I guess I am safe till this problem happens again.

TY all!

DanFraser

Sometimes doing an IPConfig just makes the computer realise everything is there to do what you want to do! LOL!

OP
stompah

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
No I think you were on the right track and my computer realized that and it fixed itslef for now only to befuddle me later when noone is around to help. Damn computers always doing that. :)

AZN

AznSniper
XP will try and renew its ipconfig but 98 and 2k wont, u will manually do that urself... perhaps somehow XP was succesfull with renewing itself that time... but just typing IPconfig will now do it, u have to type ipconfig /renew.

AZN