• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my maze4's dont fit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

concepts

Registered
I got two new maze 4 blocks with the clip hold downs because I don't have a MB with the holes to mount a block. But when they got here I found you have to lever the clip on and I have a line of capacitors between my chips that block it. Any ideas/ how hard is it to take the plastic part of the socket off and put it back on?

Korndog

concepts said:
I got two new maze 4 blocks with the clip hold downs because I don't have a MB with the holes to mount a block. But when they got here I found you have to lever the clip on and I have a line of capacitors between my chips that block it. Any ideas/ how hard is it to take the plastic part of the socket off and put it back on?

um.. thats impossible.
man that sucks.. the holes are possibly not there because they know a heatsink that big would not fit
what kind of motherboard do u have.

OP
C

concepts

Registered
I did see one guy remove parts of the socket to make it water proof but it did not look like an easy mod, it is a tyan tiger I think all the tigers have a row of capacitors

Korndog

wait.. do u have dual xeon tyan?
man..
you can try to cut off the tip of the levers sticking out and mount them long side parallel to the capacitors.
that whole assemble isn't designed for xeons, xeons are very different..

Korndog

oo.. that model is even better
i don't see how it wouldn't fit on that
you have to put the blocks vertical to mount it to the clips, the capacitors don't seem in the way..

mata2974

Welcome to the Forum
When you post a new thread try to give as much info as possible about your mobo, CPU etc, that way people can respond more informed:D :D

OP
C

concepts

Registered
I have room to put the blocks vertical I even have room to put the block on normal but the clip that came with them will not fit. Do I have to make a custom hold down clip ( I lost a chip the last time I tried to make a hold down clip for a water block ) so I don't want to try that again.

Korndog

are the clips bendable? maybe u can bend it wider or narrower. Thats what i did with my p4 socket 423 since there were little to none waterblocks designed for it. If the mounting won't fit on the socket clips, you can easily cut out spaces with a dremel or something.

gungeek

OP
C

concepts

Registered
I'll try to make it more clear here is a pic of my board
picture of Tyan Tiger
If you look at the picture of the hold down on the block the right clip is wide about 5/16 while there is room for the clip about 6/16 there is no way to get the clip on the ears because the ears on the socket stick out about another 1/8. So you need more than 7/16 to get the clip on :(. any other ideas otherwise any one want to buy 1 of 2 maze4's with hold downs.