• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My mini-Review! Shure SRH840

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mjolnir

Ok so I just got these today and thus far I'm fairly impressed.. The clarity is excellent and the bass is quick, and overall the sound is very clear.

Also they're fairly comfortable; despite their rather large size. The build quality is excellent and the padding is quite nice.

However a few things I have to make a point of;

Bass: Thus far although the bass is quick; it lacks warmth, but that could be fixed over time after their 'burn-in' period as I know most earphones/headphones have.

I'm not an audiophile and I don't claim to be; so I have no idea about how to judge 'soundstaging' . Although clearer and more encompassing sound (naturally) I actually find my Shure SE110 [in-ear earphones] (half the retail price basically) have nicer bass, but that said they lose some of the definition as a comparison. That said they've also had a burn in period of several months now; and I can tell you now that the bass was decent but not as good as it is now as a comparison to when I first bought them. So hopefully these headphones scale even better.

Right now I find the bass lackluster enough to be forced to use my portable mini-amp (FiiO E5) to help with that (mind you; I love my bass, so for most people the amount you do get is generally enough). Which; by the way; I highly recommend! For any player you feel lacks 'oomf' (Ipods especially; which are known to have a weak overall output) this little amp will do you well! And its almost as small as the old ipod shuffle; and has a clip function exactly like it! That said; these headphones DO NOT require a dedicated amp and are easy enough to drive.

Overall review;

Pros

Clarity
Quick/sharp bass response
Easy to drive
Comfortable (need to get used to. check PS)
Solid build quality
Good Isolation
Detachable Coiled Cable

Cons

Style isn't for everyone
They are big!
Initial bass lacks warmth

Like I said I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound quality, and the Shure SRH840 know where its at! If you can find them for a good price (not the RRP); and you need an upgrade from those plantronics headphones you got in Ebgames (personal experience :p), I do suggest you put these on your shortlist.

Next stop; Soundcard! =D

EDIT:http://shure.com/ProAudio/Products/Headphones/us_pro_srh840_content

Link to Shures website for said headphones for specs and details.

PS: after wearing these for a while now, i find my head hurts a bit and it grabs my upper jaw a bit too.. Im sure over time this grip will loosen a bit and itll be fine; but for the moment I can't wear it overly long without a break. Kind of annoying but oh well!

EDIT! Either they broke in really quickly or the songs I've been listening to lately just have more bass.. But either way the bass on these things are fairly monstrous. But really its all about the source.. These cans won't distort with heavier bass, and thus if you have a stronger source (via amp/soundcard) than say straight connection through onboard audio for the computer; you'll definitely notice the huge difference. I'm only using onboard for the moment myself, but find the HD Audio from the front is plenty sufficient, and easily outclasses the back port. Unfortunately; the way the 300 is laid out; when not in use, I get static/noise. Quite annoying..

Either way; these cans are a definite 2x thumbs up for me! Love em! Can't imagine ever attempting to use my old plantronics crap again. =).

Last edited:
Back