• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my monitor is always in standby mode when i boot up my pc. can anyone please help me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abraham Lincoln

Registered
my monitor is always in standby mode when i boot up my pc. can anyone please help me?

my os is windows xp. heres my problem:

when i turn on my PC the monitor stays in standby mode. The PC powers up but the monitor stays off. The light on the monitor stays orange, if i Turn off the monitor and turn it back on the light goes green but then goes orange again.

There are no beeps coming from my computer.

I've tried turning on the computer with the network card, cd rom and hard drive unplugged and it still wouldnt turn on.

ive tried unplugging and replugging my video card.

ive tested if it was the monitors fault using my dads monitor and its the computers fault. the monitor is fine.

the lights infront of my computer turn on. the light on my cdrom stays on all the time. the cdrom drive wont eject so i cant put any cds in.

can anyone please help me? im typing this on another computer.

LutaWicasa

, Immutable, Administrator
If there are absolutely no beeps, then you are not booting. Try restarting your comp while holding down the Insert key.

A few more details on your set-up may prove quite helpful as well(such as mobo, proc, vid card, psu, etc.).

Tebore

If you get past the POST but not to the windows XP loading bar it means that XP can't use the monitor. How old is the monitor. I have a friend with a 14inch monitor that just won't work with XP other then in safemode.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Welcome to the forums!

Try your video card in the computer you're typing on now, and see if it does the same thing. If you've ruled out the monitor, there's only the video card, and motherboard left as the source of your problem. Possibly both but I doubt it. Try your video card in the system you're typing on now, and see if it does the same thing. If it works, try the video card from the system your typing on in the problem system. etc...

OP
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

Registered
i took my computer to some guy who gave a free diagnostic and he said its the motherboard thats causing the problem.

i think i did mess with something in the bios but since im not good with computers i cant remember exactly what i might have done.

could you please explain what clearing the CMOS with the jumpers means?

thanks

cullam3n

What motherboard do you have?

The CMOS is, to put it bluntly, the information stored in the Bios. This includes any overclockers, the time, whatever. A jumper is a piece of plastic that shorts 2 pins on a motherboard. On your motherboard somewhere you should see something like this:

Jumper.jpg

That yellow plastic thing is referred to as a jumper. Now it probably isn't that tall and it probably isn't yellow (most likely blue or black) on your motherboard. There's more than one of them on the motherboard; they do different things. Near one of them should be something like "CLEAR CMOS", "CCMOS", "CMOS" or something along those lines. WHat you have to do is take that yellow/black/blue plastic jumper off and move it down one pin and then put it back. This resets the bios. Now you have to boot back into the bios and reset the time and whatever settings or configurations that you may have.

I hope that was clear enough. Need anymore help?

-PC

OP
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

Registered
i think this is my motherboard: BIOSTAR M7VKD PRO AMD Motherboard

i think i found something like what you were talking about. it however doesnt say any words near it like cmos. it has a plug and 3 pins. lets say the plug is on pins 1 and 2. i should move the plug onto pin 2 and 3 and then start my computer and turn it off, then back onto 1 and 2 then start my computer? from there, my bios will reset?

i think i found the jumper and i did what i wrote above and i still have the same problem. then i tried with the jumper on pins 2 and 3 and it wouldnt even start.

here is a pic

13-138-002-01.JPG

Last edited:

cullam3n

It won't start on pins 2 and 3. But if you still have the same problem, then it's something else other than your bios. What are the rest of your system specs?

-PC

OP
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

Registered
BIOSTAR M7VKD PRO AMD Motherboard Biostar M7VKD PRO MB
Processor: Supports Socket A (AMD Athlon / Duron Processors) 266MHz FSB
Chipset: AMD VIA KT133A KET A ATX - RETAIL
Memory: 3xSDRAM/PC100/PC133 768MB Max.
Slots: 5xPCI, 1xISA, 1xAGP, 1xAMR
IO: 1xPS/2, 2xUSB(rear), 2xUSB(front), Ultra DMA33/66/100
Features: Promise ATA100 Hardware Monitor, integrated audio AC'97.

an AMD Athlon 1400 (my friend got it so thats all i remember form it)

a gf2

512 sdram

i think i might have to buy a new motherboard but i have no idea what kind i need to buy and what makes a motherboard better then another. my friend was the one who new about computers and now hes out of town.

and thanks for trying to help.

Last edited:
OP
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

Registered
nah i live in FL

when i talked to the guy who did a free diagnostic on my computer he said that everything( ram, vidcard, cpu) worked fine and it was the motherboard. i tried putting the ram back in and i still had the problem.

would buying another motherboard fix everything?

could you or anyone else please recommend a board less then $100 i should buy to fit my system specs?

Maximouse

Abraham Lincoln said:
Memory: 3xSDRAM/PC100/PC133 768MB Max.

512 sdram

Just curious, but what speed is your Ram?

Also, you may want to check the manual for the MB to see if it supports a 512mb stick ( if thats what you are using). You have 3 ram slots that allow a total of 768Mb, so it may only take 256mb sticks.

Al

Last edited:

cullam3n

How many sticks of RAM do you have? Are they all the same (running at same speed, same size, etc.) Do you use the ISA slot? Under the right circumstances, I would recommend an ECS K7S5A.

-PC

OP
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

Registered
i have two 256mb sdram chips. ive had my computer for about 10 months i would say and this whole problem started about a week ago.

the computer im using right now is using the ram in my broken computer.

before i ran into this problem i had another one.

after the computer would start up and go past the windows xp logo instead of taking me to desktop i got a black screen and this window:

User Interface Failure

The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load

Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restor the orginal DLL

Restart

i didnt know i could use the windows xp cd to boot and fix this atm so i would just hit buttons everytime my computer would start up to try to boot disk (as dumb as that sounds, i really dont know much about computers).

ive came to the bios window before doing that but i dont remember changing any settings.

the only thing i remember really before my computer went dead like this was hitting f9. after hitting f9 a window camp up saying things like

1. boot from hhd
2. boot from cdrom
3. boot form floppy
4. etc 5. etc

well i think it hit the 4th or 5th option and the next morning this happened. so my computers been messed up for about a 1 1/2 weeks now.

OP
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

Registered
i have 2 pny technologies memory master 256md sdram chips.

above the bar code it says.

256s133
DIMM, PC133/100/66

cullam3n

Wow...

Ok I'm going to have a good night sleep now. I'll come back to this tommorow. =)

And I know how you feel. Just the other day I was:

>Battling the Stoned.Angelina virus that infects the boot sector preventing you from booting into WIndows properly.
>Reinstalling Windows 2000 about 5 times.
>Upgrading my motherboard bios.
>Almost blowing up my Ti4200 with a fan that was on fire (glowing actually... but still)

-PC