• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new Albatron Turbo from newegg. i will continually post updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

as some of you know i recieved a previous albatron from newegg, as did a few other people, that did not perform anything like it should have. mine did 290/620 only without artifacts. i just got a new one in and it seems to be doing better allready. i just did 3dmark a few times and it is doing 300/550 stable so far. i will continue to update this post untill i finally get my max overclock

UPDATE 300/600 works

UPDATE #2: 300/630 does NOT work. it seems like the core crashes because it becomes jerky. there are no artifacts.

UPDATE #3: 290/650 works

UPDATE #4: 290/660 gives artifacts. Bumping the mem speed down to 655 changed that problem so for now it seems like 290/655 is the max stable speed i can do. i will eventually try upping the core speed mhz by mhz until i get the max stable core speed (300 does not work!).

yup folks dont order this card from newegg... the last one i had did 290/620 and this one so far only does 290/655 which is only a little bit better. my 3dmarks are around 12600 points.

i dont wanna rma this card only because of the hassle. i just wanna warn people that if they are looking to get 310/730 like they got in a bunch of review samples, dont get it from newegg, try else where.

btw this is using stock cooling but there is a 32cfm 80mm intake fan over the card. the drivers are 41.03 and the operating system is win2k sp3. maybe lapping the heatsink and putting artic silver on the core will get me higher core speed but thats another project for another day.

Last edited:

Pouey

I just got mine as well today

I got my RMA today as well. It clocks much better than my older card, however still the results don't perform as well as older Albatrons. My card is running at 305/665, not bad I guess. It is running better than advertised so I'm happy. Sorry about yours Emericana :(

OP
Emericana

Emericana

what i dont get is why the mem is crapping out. the ram sinks are only moderatly warm. on my other cards they were all burning hot before the ram started producing artifacts. then again i have never used bga mem before. does bga mem just not get hot?

Matrix78

have u tried taking the mem down and upping the core??? mine doesnt like anyting above 600 on mem but if i lower it a lil i can get the core higher (AOpen 4200)

TerroH8er

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it like, the hotter the ramsink/heatsink, the better it's actually cooling it? because the hotter it is, the more it's transferring the heat. dunno

OP
Emericana

Emericana

matrix no i havnt i need to find the sweetspot in the card. i wanna see what the absolute max core i can run using 655mhz ram. then i will lower the ram to 600mhz and up the core to its limits and see which one gives me the better 3dmark score.

yeah well the ramsinks are connected using thermal tape but i dont wanna epoxy them on cause i have had horrible experience w/ epoxy. hopefully a good lap on the heatsink and some AS3 will get me 300mhz core

EDIT 295/655 is STABLE

Last edited:

cullam3n

You can't get up to 300 core? My Albatron Ti4200P (no TURBO) can do at least 300 core (mine's at 303). However, my memory sucks major (Samsung 4ns TC-40) and right now it's stable at 545. 550 gave me artifacts last time I tried it about 2 weeks ago but I'll try it again soon.

Anyway your memory seems to be doing fine... a little low, but fine. Is there any dust on your GPU fan or anywhere around that? I found I had a truckload of dust on mine and since I blew it out it gave me a minor increase.

-PC

edit: just checked and my GPU cooling is different then yours:

Mine looks like this except the PCB is blue

The Turbo looks like this

I noticed you adding ramsinks. What kind are they?

-PC

OP
Emericana

Emericana

the 128mb version of the turbo COMES with ramsinks the link you had was the 64mb version which does not.

Do you guys think that a copper vantec iceberg would be better at cooling it then the stock cooler?

OP
Emericana

Emericana

well bad news guys this thing does NOT do 650mhz as i actually just tried to play RTCW and there were artifacts galore in it even tho nothin showed up in 3dmark!!!!!!! wtf i will tell what the finall actual clock speed turns out to be

OP
Emericana

Emericana

stock ti4600 speeds are 300/650 and this card seems to be doing only 290/630!!!!!

newegg is going to be gettin a angry phone call tomorrow along with two rmas...

i dont know if i am gonna get the albatron again maybe from googlegear tho

this looks like a good deal what you guys think?
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=14-122-134&DEPA=1

the review of it said that it will do 305/670 not that shabby

Last edited:

Ishakir

Hello Guys,
I like you Emericana got my Albatron TURBO from newegg today. I am able to do 295/610 3DMark stable (11075 Marks). Never seen any artifacts, but at 300 3DMark locks up. Not quite sure why. I tried doing 630, locked up again. I guess that's close enough to what they guarantee, but I would've liked getting to 300. I will try RTCW and stuff to see if I run stable there.

Will keep you posted,
-Ish-

OP
Emericana

Emericana

ok well i finally found the max stable speed for the card with zero artifacts and zero lockups.... 292/635

everything else would either lock up or produce horrible artifacts in a game which i cant mention (use your imagination)

OC Noob

What do they guarantee? Is it an actual guarantee or do they just state, "O/Cs to Ti4600?"

Get a Ti4400 or a refurb Ti4600 for the same price. It will have the bga and a better GPU to boot.

Cisco Kid

I do not think there is a 100% guarantee, for that just get a ATI card hehe ribbin there.

Alot of Hassle to get the heralded Ti4600 speed, and for what really a couple extra fps and 3D Marks. But i see your point, they advertised you bought, you could go on and continue rma''ing and never get the speed you are hoping for, so when to you call it quits??

cisco kid

TheFrag

Cisco Kid said:
I do not think there is a 100% guarantee, for that just get a ATI card hehe ribbin there.

Alot of Hassle to get the heralded Ti4600 speed, and for what really a couple extra fps and 3D Marks. But i see your point, they advertised you bought, you could go on and continue rma''ing and never get the speed you are hoping for, so when to you call it quits??

cisco kid

It's all about bragging rights

Kosmic

Mine was from Newegg, too but now I feel *lucky* at the OC I'm getting with it. Funny thing is that right after I ordered it I looked at googlegear expecting their price to be higher, yet they were actually a few bucks lower. I figured that I would just let the newegg order go through 'cause their service is always excellent. I wonder if I would've had a better overclocker from googlegear, or if Albatron is just shipping out less capable turbos than they used to.

Anyhow, I'm relatively satisfied with this one...it OCs just past 4600 speeds and it'll serve me well until the nv30 hits the market and then comes down in price from its initial offeringsin 6 months or so.

OP
Emericana

Emericana

welli only get 12,500 3dmarks but then again that could be contributed to my system speed as well... do you think that getting a faster cpu will increase my 3dmark points? specs in sig