• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new barton wont overclock :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AllGore

Registered
I got 2x 256mbg pc3200 ram, a nf7 v2 and a barton xp2500 not long ago and i found that one of the ram sticks wouldnt work so now im running with just the one. I can get the cpu to 170fsb but no more (cant change multiplier cos its one of those locked ones). does the board unlocks the cpu automatically so i dont have to do something like a pencil mod? im running the ram at turbo settings. i have a generic 300watt psu but i would have thought it could handle a 200mhz fsb. whenever i put the fsb up higher than 170, the drives sound like they are booting normally but the screen stays on standby. does anybody have any ideas? replacing the psu will be my least favourable option as i need to pay off my debt to my parents before i can save up for one.

OP
A

AllGore

Registered
Im asking about fsb unlocking, i have done the pencil mod to my druon and im wondering if there is something simular i need to do, im going to be taking a look at voltage stability but im at a loss as to why i cant boot at any fsb higher than 170

Graphic67

There has not been any reported lock on the fsb... ever. Some old chips simply could not handle much fsb overclock.

The power supply is a likely problem area. Generic psu's often do not meet thier 'ratings' and they also do not usually produce enough 12V power for modern systems.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
It may not be the CPU. Via chipsets don't have a PCI lock to keep the PCI bus @ 33MHz. It could very possibly be the PCI bus crapping out @ 170 (34MHz). If that's the case, not much you can do except get a new board.

Do you have a friend with an nForce2 MOBO? If yes, see if you can throw your CPU in there to see what it can do before you start buying new parts. It's unherd of for a Barton to not OC by at least 34MHz.

Last edited:
OP
A

AllGore

Registered
only cards i got is the graphics and thats agp, so no pci cards. would the pci bus speed affect other parts of the system? on my old a7v8x the bus went up with fsb and at 175mhz or something it went back to the speed it was at 100mhz

Graphic67

UberBlue... the first post listed the motherboard as an NF7 v2 which is an nForce2 v2 board.

AllGore... If you have an NF7-M or an NF7, then you may not reach the same speeds as those with the NF7-S. This means that you may not reach 220fsb, but 200 should be very possible.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
AllGore said:
only cards i got is the graphics and thats agp, so no pci cards. would the pci bus speed affect other parts of the system?

Even without cards there is still a PCI bus. AGP and your IDE controllers are clock dependant just like the PCI bus also.

AllGore said:
on my old a7v8x the bus went up with fsb and at 175mhz or something it went back to the speed it was at 100mhz

Via boards use a thing called divisors. At 166MHz FSB the board uses a 1/5 divisor resulting in a PCI bus speed of 33MHZ. As you push it beyond 166, the FSB proportionately edges up with the FSB because of the 1/5 divisor all the way to 200 FSB, then a 1/6 divisor kicks in and drops the PCI bus back down to 33MHz

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
^^^Cross post with Graphic 67

Graphic67 said:
UberBlue... the first post listed the motherboard as an NF7 v2 which is an nForce2 v2 board.

AllGore... If you have an NF7-M or an NF7, then you may not reach the same speeds as those with the NF7-S. This means that you may not reach 220fsb, but 200 should be very possible.

DOH!!! Why did I have A7X stuck in my head.

Sorrry.

200 should be VERY possible. Even some rev 1.1 boards could do that.

Last edited:
OP
A

AllGore

Registered
later 2nite i will try the barton in my old board and see wot fsb i can get with it. does the barton have a higher power requirement compared to my old duron 1.3ghz?

CalsonicGTR

Posted by Graphic67

There shouldn't be any difference in terms of overclocking between the NF7 and the NF7-S. Both boards are essentially the same board, save for features. The NF7-S has SATA, Soundstorn onboard audio, and Firewire support, whereas the NF7 doesnt. The overclocking results should be about the same. Not sure about the NF7-M though

Graphic67

UberBlue... Even if we were talking about a VIA board, most PCI bus problems don't show up until you reach the neighborhood of 40MHz which will get you close to 200MHz fsb with a 5:2:1 divider.

AllGore... the Barton is only about 10W warmer than the 1.3GHz Duron. Not a significant increase.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
Graphic67 said:
UberBlue... Even if we were talking about a VIA board, most PCI bus problems don't show up until you reach the neighborhood of 40MHz which will get you close to 200MHz fsb with a 5:2:1 divider.

AllGore... the Barton is only about 10W warmer than the 1.3GHz Duron. Not a significant increase.

I know, I know, but I've seen wierder things with divisors. Some things just don't want to play.

I'm tucking my tail between my legs and shutting up now.

OP
A

AllGore

Registered
i plugged the barton into the a7v8x with the new ram and the same problem, so i put in some pc2700 and it loaded at 180fsb. im gonna have to get replacement ram anyway so i will just get a completly new kit. the volcano 7+ running at minimum speed got the cpu to 60 degrees at stock which isnt too good either. maybie a new cooler will do the trick