• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new build...BIOS problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I finally have my new build put together...with one problem. I plug in my GPU and the computer boots but I get no video output. Here is my build: ASUS VIII GENE, EVGA 850 Watt PSU (already own), Intel i7-6700, 16GB ram, Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, R9 390 GPU (already own). I went into the BIOS and told the motherboard to output graphics from the PCIE slot but every time I try to save changes the BIOS reverts back to Auto (default setting) and not PCIE when the computer restarts, and I get no video output from my graphics card. Before I decide to get a new graphics card (480 or 1070...not Gigabyte, had too much trouble with that company), I thought I'd ask you guys if anyone had run into this problem before where you change a setting in the BIOS, try to save it, and it apparently doesn't save. I'm still thinking it's a problem with my GPU and not the (brand new) motherboard, because I've had so much trouble with the GPU in the past.

Thanks for the response, ATMIN. I got the GPU working in general (video signal gets to monitor), but it still stays on for a few minutes and then goes to a black screen. I'm thinking of switching to NVidia and buying a 1070 (not a Gigabyte...I'm done with them). Now to look at 1070 reviews to find a good one.

Check and make sure that the display is not the problem instead of the video card.

Thanks for the response, ATMIN. I got the GPU working in general (video signal gets to monitor), but it still stays on for a few minutes and then goes to a black screen. I'm thinking of switching to NVidia and buying a 1070 (not a Gigabyte...I'm done with them). Now to look at 1070 reviews to find a good one.

Use your favorite driver uninstaller, reboot, then install the latest AMD drivers. Not a guaranteed fix but definitely a common and frequently successful fix.

As Luta said, if BIOS won't save settings it might be a bad CMOS battery. Luckily if that is the case it's easy enough to replace, and most battery stores will sell them. If you aren't comfortable putting the new one in yourself, I don't see why you couldn't have the store do it, doubt they'd charge for something so easy and quick.

Back