• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my new router...talking to itself?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

got a nice 802.11g wireless linksys now. getitng DSL soon :)

i moved today, and i'm online through a complicated setup to get dialup for a few hours....
anyway, just screwing around i hooked up my router and plugged it in, and forgot about it
about an hour later i came back to find it talking with my computer. Lights 4 and W-LAN were blinking. Anyways, i have nothing wireless, except a phone on a 900mhz band...where the router is 2.4Ghz.

it got my thinking maybe the neighbor has some wireless equip? is there a way i can check? (win 2000 please, but i can do xp is i need to)

or does it just blink all the time? thanks.

SavageBasher

Go into the router's config and see if any strange ip's are connected...
All of my hardwired pc's, no matter if they are idle or downloading, show up continously flashing on my router, and the modem's activity lights are the same...

OP
Como

Como

nope, nothings connected. just me.

Is there a way i can use my router as a wireless card till i need it as a router? the people next door have a router and said i can use their connection if i can get on it. :)

OP
Como

Como

poo. this dialup is so bad right now i cant IM people. sad. 20 mins to post.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
so you have the wireless router, but no wireless connection in your PC. Cause if you have a wireless card in the computer you can connect to the neighbors connection. And you will need one eventually of course.