• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My New Water Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DViper,

If they had a Socket 478 version of the Gemini, or a suitable way of holding it down, I would have absolutly ordered one of those Gemini's without giving it a second thought.

:(

I also have one coming-(high flow version).I spoke to Peter over a week ago, and again today, should be here be Wednesday. Cant wait-I'll add one more to the collection. The price is right, I think I' ve spent money on more foolish endeavors than this!!!:beer:

is there a difference between low and high pressure ones? except price?

and why do the gemini only use 1/4 inch fittings? isnt that kinda small? , considering most ppl use 1/2 inch ones.

The High Volume looks to be 1/2" thick.

High Volume has 3/8" barbs. Changing mine to 1/2"

Low Volume has 1/4" barbs.

Peter is working on a block for the 478s.

Backlog? You need to call Gemini and ask for Peter Jr.

Last edited:
Having already purchased silicon tubing in 1/2" and the barbs on the rad are 1/2" I ordered barbs from McMaster that will fit the thread hole to 1/2" nylon barbs. Personally there is not much difference in 3/8" and 1/2" in flow. I decided to change only for the reason mentioned above. Look at Hoot's review. The High & Low Volume blocks having different size barbs changed nothing in temps. Although I will be using a high flow rate pump I may see some changes.

Last edited:
I did not realize they made a 1/2" ID barb that would screw into the threaded hole for 3/8" ID barbs. All the 1/2" barbs I saw at Menards had much larger diameter threaded shanks. Those ones you found must be special.

Hoot

rivercom9 said:
Hey racecar, how much did you get your spiral for? From where?
I was kinda there in the begining with fix when he started making them and this is block #3.

Now back to redigest those temp readings on that Gem:D

whoa, looks very sweet... is there possibly a spot for a peltier or two on that thing?

Pete from Gemini told me the blocks were tapped using 1/8" NPT.
McMaster-Carr has barbed fittings using 1/2" barbs and 1/8" threads, part#5372K115. I believe they are $3.50 for 5. I'm not sure the barbs are worth changing, as the ID must be pretty small to accomodate the 1/8" thread size...

DodgeViper said:
I have been reluctant to post Hoot testing, but seeing that its already on someone website that sells the Gemini WB I decided to post what Hoot sent me.

Here's a sneak preview:

Pump: Eheim 1048 (158gph)
Radiator: D.D. Heater core (low pressure drop)
Tubing: 3/8" ID Silicon
Vertical lift: 4 inches (insignificant)
All Water Blocks 3/8" ID straight hose barbs
All Water blocks inlet water temperature 25C
CPU: Athlon XP1600 12.5x145 (1822 Mhz) @ 2.05Vcore = 112.5Watts

Gemini High Flow Core Temperature=41C Efficiency=.14c/w (consistent)
Gemini Low Flow Core Temperature=41C Efficiency=.14c/w (consistent)
Swiftech MCW-462u Core Temperture=43C Efficiency=.16c/w (consistent)
D.D. Maze-2 Core Temperature=45C Efficiency=.17c/w (best of three tries)

I was totally surprised by the results, especially the Danger Den Maze-2.
I was equally surprised that the Gemini Low Flow block did as well as the
High Flow block, considering the slower flow rate that the 1/4" channel
causes. (120GPH vs 158GPH)

Guys, the temp reported for the DD Maze-2 in NOT consistant.
If you take the C/W, power and ambient temp, you get
44.1C NOT 45C. ------------Must be a typeo

I hate to be a fly in the ointment, but until I see a series of tests between the two blocks, I just can't accept saying that one is 4 degrees better than the other. At a very bare minimum 3-5 runs of each block (mounting and unmounting for each test) should be run before even considering the results to be anywhere near valid.

After having a few conversations with others and doing a few rough calcs on the accuracy of testing with high-end equipment, 4 degrees could easily be within the margin of error. I posted more thoughts on temperature measurement here:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71023

I still believe we have a ways to go to come up with a more reliable way of comparing any cooling systems. Lots of work by a few individuals is being done out there, but for now there are still too many issues to definitively call one block better than the other.

Tecumseh said:
I think on average the SYSTEM flowrate of typical WC rigs
is between 140 and 160 GPH.

hehe, with my Eheim 1046 I get 240 through my system!!

[Edit]Oops, my bad! That's 240L/H which equates to ~50GPH LOL[/Edit]

Back