• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my new water/pelt setup,PICS (56k be scared, very scared)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
well i finally got all the pieces together to go ahead and water cool my computer, well my cpu for now atleast. and i figured someone would like to see it (well probably not :() so i took lots of pics.
i am putting all the stuff in an old comp case we had lying around and it fits, but just barely.
i have the dual heatercore in the back with 4 x delta 120mm 150cfm fans on it.
it is exhausting out the back of the case, and the intake is through the old 5 1/4 bays.
the peltier/fan power supply is in the front of the case.
the coffee can ontop of the heatercore is the resivoir for my pump, it is some submersible utility pump that i found lying around the house.
i am using a maze 4 cpu block with a 170 watt peltier, the coldplate should arrive tomorrow from danger den.
i am not entirely sure how much protection i should use to prevent condensation, i am gonna get some neoprene foam and some dielectric grease to seal the socket off.
but without any further delay here are the pics.

antifreeze
wi7r

case
wi82

fanspics, i got 8 of those beasts and i am using my nexus to tame them, they are really not that bad at 7 volts.
wi86

heatercore
wi8i

heatercore installed
wi8n

maze 4 cpu block
wi8x

maze 4 cpu block with peltier
wi94

water
wi9t

i will have more updates as i get more finished.
i would appreciate any feedback.

~Magick_Man~

Looks great so far. Did you say 4 150CFM fans!!! That is a H*LL of a lot of air!!! Are you going to use the pelt to cool your P4 2.4 or do you plan to use a different processor?

yes that is a h*ll of alot of air, even when they are running at 7 volts they still move alot of air.
and i am in the process of working a deal with my friend to switch our processors (my 2.4c for his 2.8c)

~Magick_Man~

i would like to use a 226 watt pelt but i couldnt afford a new psu and i had a psu lying around that can run a 170 watt pelt fine.
i might not get the coldest possible temps but they shoulf get pretty low :)

~Magick_Man~

mate, you should use a tripod for your photos
otherwise, nice project
yeah i suck at taking pics, even though these were the good ones :)
you done want to see the bad ones :(

~Magick_Man~

well my coldplate just got here a little while ago.
so i start to put it on and i notice the screws that attach it use a bigger hex head than the screws for the top, so nowi have to go to my parents shop and steal some of their tools to put this thing together :)
i should have some pics of it up and running thisevening and ill hopefully get it in my computer some time this week

~Magick_Man~

Make sure you thoroughly insulate the back of the socket (rear side of the motherboard) with dielectric grease, and a big piece of thick neoprene. You also want to thoroughly insulate the inside of your socket with dielectric grease, and the surrounding area with neoprene and more (you guessed it) dielectric grease.

Make 100% certain that no part of the peltier coldside is exposed to the air - when I first insulated my pelt setup I wasn't thorough enough, and had small problems for awhile before I figured it out and did a more thorough job. Even if you are only seeing near-ambient temperatures, condensation is an ever present threat.

If you want to, you can just go crazy with the dielectric grease, although conformal coating will be cleaner - dielectric grease has a disgusting tendency of picking up dust after awhile, especially with good airflow.

That 169W peltier may be a little inadequate for your setup - typically a 226W peltier is considered the minimum for solid CPU cooling. It will probably work, but a 226W peltier would give you *much* better results. You would be surprised, a ~15V variable PSU like the one you would need for a 226W peltier can be had for a *very* cheap price on eBay. My 24V variable PSU cost me $9 plus shipping.

Great work so far, good luck with the setup, and please do keep us updated with pics!

ok i just go toff of work and setup the "beast" :) to take some pics and here is what i got.
and unfortulately the pics still aren't that great but they will work.

case rear with water
wydx

water close-up
wyed

frosty peltier
wye1

temp sensor
wyea

from start-up it takes about 5-6 minutes for the cold plate to completely frost up
i am gonna let it go all night tonight and see how much frost/ice will accumulate :)
the cold side with no load is about -17°c with the fans on low speed it'll go down to about -18.5°c with the fans on full speed.
more to come, hopefully i can get it insulated and installed some time this week but it might be this weekend before i can do it.
i will be sure to keep you updated

~Magick_Man~

wow thats very "cool" lol...

errr im quite a noob at extreme cooling.. but what is a peltier?? around how much would i expect to pay for one?? and can i use one with my current waterblock and system etc??

awesome system you should have there magick_man :clap:

can i use one with my current waterblock and system etc??
well it depends, what waterblock do you have. and what radiator, and what other blocks do you have?
a peltier dumps alot of heat into your water so you need to be careful
i am ok since i just have a cpu block

~Magick_Man~

yeah you should be able to use it with that system, but it will raise your water temps quite a bit.
but i am not sure if that "rad" would support the heat load of a pelt and a cpu
it probably would.
if you get one i would suffest getting it from "thermal enterprises" on ebay, i got mine (a 170 watt pelt) for $20 usd shipped
i would get a 226 watter if i was going to do it again.
but you need a pretty powerful psu if you use a 226
it has to have 25a on the 12v line or you will burn it up.
and most importantly of all make sure you have good insulation :)

i am gonna go look for insulation in a little while and hopefully i can install this stuff tomorrow.

~Magick_Man~

well i got it installed, and right now it is running at idle in the range of -17°c
and i havent tested load yet.
i will try to post pics later.

~Magic_Man~

Back