• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Next Card Decision. Gtx 550ti Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pro_Up

Registered
Hey I currently running a Gtx 550ti 2GB SC and It's doing me great. I love this card but I do realize I will have to upgrade soon:) This card is running great on games like Skyrim, BF3, and Minecraft. My 3 favorite games. It can handle Skyrim on max settings with HD Texture Mods greatly at around 50-60fps, 40 as in the lowest. I bought it at Best Buy for a good deal at around $145. This card is a great card for a Mid range gaming machine. I have a reference cooler on this card and it's currently running 20c at 60% Fan Speed while I'm doing my usual, Facebook, Youtube, and the basics. When I game this cards still stays very cool. On BF3 I run this on Ultra-High without 4xMSAA on But I do still put AA on high. I get a stable 55fps max of 70fps and lowest of 45 fps. My temps are around 35-42C at full load! And I even Overclocked this Card more! I have it at 1001 Core Clock and 2260 Memory clock Stable without raising voltage!

Anyway, on to the next topic which I mentioned in the beginning is that I am getting a new video card and I do need help on deciding lol. I'm thinking about the EVGA Gtx 480 because It's bang for the buck with 480 Cuda Cores, 384bit memory interface, and 1.5gb Vram. This card matches up to the 570 which makes me astonished that this card can perform almost the same as the high end GPU that can run most games on ultra. On BF3 the 480 Can run it in Ultra 1920x1080p on 60-75fps. Amazing for a 2 year old card. On a test of 2 Gtx 480's in SLI vs a Gtx 680 it beat it by around 5%! I do realize that this card is a power hungry card and is very hot around 80-90c at full load. I am getting a backplate for it If I do purchase the card. According the EVGA, The backplate for the 480 cools it down by 10C. Also it looks sexy. For $9.99 The backplate is definitely worth it. My concern is that the card will age when Crysis 3, BF4, And Warfighter come out. But If I get one I could always get another for $200 if it doesn't perform good enough for BF4, Crysis 3, And Warfighter. Two in SLI can beat a 680 by 5% then I'm hell of sure that Two of those card will run great on Crysis 3, BF4, and Warfighter. I do have up to $500 to spend and I want the best for the money of course. I am looking into the Kepler cards like the 680 because this has a great overclocking structure because of the 28nm GPU structure. I also see that the new Double D Flex 7950 by Sapphire performs around the same as the Gtx 670 and that both of those cards are great for overclocking. The 7970 Toxic edition which will be released soon by Sapphire has 6gb of Vram (I only have 1 moniter so IDC for anything over 4) and a turbo button to boost the Core clock to 1100mhz (1.1ghz) But again this card is power hungry... I've also heard that it starts out as like 680 Euros while the reference 7970 from Sapphire cost like 300Euros. I live in america so the reference 7970 is a possibility but getting the Toxic edition ill need like $500 more... Also the toxic is recommended to have a 850w PSU. Have fun Crossfiring!:D Lol well I do need some help on deciding a video card. Nothing over 11" cause My case won't do that -_-. I also been looking into the Gtx 580 Zotac AMP edition and the regular EVGA one. If any of you have the New 670, 680, 7970, 7950 please tell me how they perform. If you have a 480 please tell me if you like it and think I should get it lol... Convince me. I firmly am thinking about just getting 3 480's and being set for a while. I will no doubt water cool them so the fan sounds and heat will be no problem. So tell me what you guys think and I will be reading all of the responses. Foock yeeah.:)

Hey I currently running a Gtx 550ti 2GB SC and It's doing me great. I love this card but I do realize I will have to upgrade soon:) This card is running great on games like Skyrim, BF3, and Minecraft. My 3 favorite games. It can handle Skyrim on max settings with HD Texture Mods greatly at around 50-60fps, 40 as in the lowest. I bought it at Best Buy for a good deal at around $145. This card is a great card for a Mid range gaming machine. I have a reference cooler on this card and it's currently running 20c at 60% Fan Speed while I'm doing my usual, Facebook, Youtube, and the basics. When I game this cards still stays very cool. On BF3 I run this on Ultra-High without 4xMSAA on But I do still put AA on high. I get a stable 55fps max of 70fps and lowest of 45 fps. My temps are around 35-42C at full load! And I even Overclocked this Card more! I have it at 1001 Core Clock and 2260 Memory clock Stable without raising voltage!

Anyway, on to the next topic which I mentioned in the beginning is that I am getting a new video card and I do need help on deciding lol. I'm thinking about the EVGA Gtx 480 because It's bang for the buck with 480 Cuda Cores, 384bit memory interface, and 1.5gb Vram. This card matches up to the 570 which makes me astonished that this card can perform almost the same as the high end GPU that can run most games on ultra. On BF3 the 480 Can run it in Ultra 1920x1080p on 60-75fps. Amazing for a 2 year old card. On a test of 2 Gtx 480's in SLI vs a Gtx 680 it beat it by around 5%! I do realize that this card is a power hungry card and is very hot around 80-90c at full load. I am getting a backplate for it If I do purchase the card. According the EVGA, The backplate for the 480 cools it down by 10C. Also it looks sexy. For $9.99 The backplate is definitely worth it. My concern is that the card will age when Crysis 3, BF4, And Warfighter come out. But If I get one I could always get another for $200 if it doesn't perform good enough for BF4, Crysis 3, And Warfighter. Two in SLI can beat a 680 by 5% then I'm hell of sure that Two of those card will run great on Crysis 3, BF4, and Warfighter. I do have up to $500 to spend and I want the best for the money of course. I am looking into the Kepler cards like the 680 because this has a great overclocking structure because of the 28nm GPU structure. I also see that the new Double D Flex 7950 by Sapphire performs around the same as the Gtx 670 and that both of those cards are great for overclocking. The 7970 Toxic edition which will be released soon by Sapphire has 6gb of Vram (I only have 1 moniter so IDC for anything over 4) and a turbo button to boost the Core clock to 1100mhz (1.1ghz) But again this card is power hungry... I've also heard that it starts out as like 680 Euros while the reference 7970 from Sapphire cost like 300Euros. I live in america so the reference 7970 is a possibility but getting the Toxic edition ill need like $500 more... Also the toxic is recommended to have a 850w PSU. Have fun Crossfiring!:D Lol well I do need some help on deciding a video card. Nothing over 11" cause My case won't do that -_-. I also been looking into the Gtx 580 Zotac AMP edition and the regular EVGA one. If any of you have the New 670, 680, 7970, 7950 please tell me how they perform. If you have a 480 please tell me if you like it and think I should get it lol... Convince me. I firmly am thinking about just getting 3 480's and being set for a while. I will no doubt water cool them so the fan sounds and heat will be no problem. So tell me what you guys think and I will be reading all of the responses. Foock yeeah.:)

Just get a single GTX 670. It is a very nice card, once overclocked it is just about on par with the GTX 680. Also there is some good deals on 7970's so I would say either get a GTX 670 or 7970. No need to pay for a card with extra memory especially with you only gaming on one monitor.

I have a referece GTX 680 not overclocked currently and I can run BF3 on ultra full AA and get 75-80 FPS @1080P. An overclocked GTX 670 or 7970 will be similar.

Forget about the GTX 480's since they are won't be nearly as good as a single car. due to poor SLI scaling in some games and possible driver and micro stutter issues just not worth the hassle. plus to run 3 you would need a high end power supply.

Hope this helps.

Back