• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Next generation card conclusion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2003
Location
Biochemistry lab.
Best performance: ATI X800Xt-PE

Best Value: Nvidia 6800GT


After looking at many review, benchs, discussions, etc. this is what I (IMHO) have conculded.

So pretty much If I can afford it I'm going with the x800xt. If I can only affort 300-400 range, I'm going for the 6800GT.

Well either way it's off to ebay to start selling some stuff. :D
 

Hellion

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Location
HELL, were else?
Argg, pay attention to what he said, The X800 XT platinum is the best card, the X800pro, or vivo, is cheaper, but the the 6800U is the value card....alot of bang for a smaller dollar. Get it?
 

deception``

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Location
Atlanta
These cards are still too green to conclude which one is in fact the better performer or the better overall value. The x800 series runs off of the same Cat series as the previous ATI cards whereas the NVIDIA line has gone in a completely different direction. I foresee future software updates doing wonders for both lines of cards, and we also do not know just how much of an importance PS 3.0 will or will not play in most future games; at the current moment they're are several titles in production such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but if many more begin to follow suit it could very well tip the scale in NVIDIA's favor.

In terms of price, anyone who shops newegg has probably caught on to the wonderful bargain that is the Sapphire 9800 (legit) Pro's selling now for $199 OEM and this value trend could very well begin again.

I think the smartest move we can all make the the present moment is to be patient, relax, and keep a close eye on both companies and the developments that will ensue within the near future.
 

Hellion

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Location
HELL, were else?
Ok doctor spoc, I dont even look at PS3.0 or what ever,....considering they ALL have them, i look at transistor count, clock speed, pipe lines, cooling, if it uses a pci slot or not, you know...IMPORTANT issues.lol pixel shader 3.0 and all the nonsense is only a graphicall upgrade. If it does help speed, itll only help a little. and the fact that the x800 series STIIL outperforms the 6800's, and the 6800 ALREADY have a new set of drivers....basicly, ati has the ball in the court, and nvidia is twittling there thumbs technology wise.

Its like, instead of 1 company make a line opf cards from crappy to great and expensive, both companies split the market, nvidia went for cheap and Ati went for enthusiast. Even though both companies have bad to great cards...ATI still has the bad *** of all cards fr ethusiasts....AND IM AN NVIDIA FAN BOY!!!! :cry: Im kinda depressed that nvidia didnt make the best, i was hoping too.

Ah well, the ATI will fit my personality better.
 

BigRed

Caffinated Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2001
Location
Mount Vernon, WA
deception`` said:
In terms of price, anyone who shops newegg has probably caught on to the wonderful bargain that is the Sapphire 9800 (legit) Pro's selling now for $199 OEM and this value trend could very well begin again.
Actually they always have them in refrub for $168 now ;)

When the x800XT gets back in stock ill have my credit card at the ready :D
 

tjr1973

Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the new cards. I'm happy with my Sapphire X800 Pro and the new NVidia line looks extremely impressive. I just couldn't wait any longer as I fried my previous card, so I bought the X800 Pro. Nothing else was to be found on the internet.
 

deception``

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Location
Atlanta
Hellion said:
Ok doctor spoc, I dont even look at PS3.0 or what ever,....considering they ALL have them, i look at transistor count, clock speed, pipe lines, cooling, if it uses a pci slot or not, you know...IMPORTANT issues.lol pixel shader 3.0 and all the nonsense is only a graphicall upgrade. If it does help speed, itll only help a little. and the fact that the x800 series STIIL outperforms the 6800's, and the 6800 ALREADY have a new set of drivers....basicly, ati has the ball in the court, and nvidia is twittling there thumbs technology wise.

Its like, instead of 1 company make a line opf cards from crappy to great and expensive, both companies split the market, nvidia went for cheap and Ati went for enthusiast. Even though both companies have bad to great cards...ATI still has the bad *** of all cards fr ethusiasts....AND IM AN NVIDIA FAN BOY!!!! :cry: Im kinda depressed that nvidia didnt make the best, i was hoping too.

Ah well, the ATI will fit my personality better.

Actually PS 3.0 is an important issue for many and had you have done your research you'd know that the new ATI cards do not support PS 3.0; this is not a driver issue or update but has to do with the type of architecture that these cards are built upon. I guaruntee that your wonder company ATI will most surely implement this technology in their next line of cards, especially since they're technology is "light years ahead of NVIDIA's own'" (sounds like something you'd say).

Secondly I think that your posts are quite one-sided and are an exact example of what people don't need to see and hear. I'm not a fanboy of either company...I simply try to look at things in a more objective fashion. You on the other hand (1) obviously did not like my comments (hence the uncessary dr. spoc add-in (btw is s-p-o-c-k) and (2) you'd probably make a good writer for Tom's Hardware.

The fact of the matter is that NVIDIA made a mistake with their 5xxx series of cards. Aren't companies allowed to make some mistakes? It is clear to me and others with deductive reasoning that you are upset that you bought that 5900 being the fanboy you claim to be and later realized that it was not the best deal. However, I'm more than positive that if you had been smart and not acted upon impulse then you would've been in a better position now and less abrasive towards NVIDIA.
 

Hellion

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Location
HELL, were else?
You dont even know me or why i have what i have, who twisted your nipples?

I have a 5900se because its what was GIVEN to me. Also, to think some TREKI is going to tell me that i dont know what im talking about because i made 1 slip up about ps3.0. is rediculous, the difference between the two companies is, Besides the fact that ati has almost always been ahead of nvidia. If it wasnt for the fact that nvidia price a little lower, theyd of been long gone, just another side show retailer so to speak like saphire (sure your going to correct my spelling too). What i mean by that is, instead of buying from ati, youd buy an ati from saphire.

Also, what i meant by who twisted your nipples? Is that you cant tell the tone of someone's voice through typing, I MEANT IT AS A JOKE! Get over it man...sor...ry. (DR. SPOC!)

To say i didnt do any research is like saying im un educated and i dont know what im talking about. Its like calling me a black person....When my race isnt even specified!
You dont know me, or the way i talk.
:argue:

Whatever, im sorry.:( :-/
 
Last edited:

deception``

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Location
Atlanta
First of all....I'm black and very educated and I fail to realize how race has become and issue here....I think that the two of us can have an intelligent conversation without that ever playing a factor. However, I cannot tell you how to express yourself here but I doubt that the forum admins/moderators have a high tolerance for any sort of ignorance of that kind.

Secondly, I am not a "treki" nor am I uptight about the situation; when I talk/type/express myself I am always firm and to the point; I see no point in sugar-coating my opinions.

Thirdly, *sapphire* is not a "side-show retailer" as you call them. They are a third party distributor of ATI's video cards. Flaming sapphire is irrelevant to the situation....it's like choosing a stock Intel 875 motherboard over an Abit IC7-G Max 3 or an ASUS P4P 800 Deluxe. Each one has their strengths and weakeness. I myself (like many others) choose the Sapphire line of 9800 Pro's because they were at a competitive price and are known to provide great o/c's which only extends their already great value.

Fourth, I fail to see how NVIDIA would be "long gone" if it were not for their price. There are still plenty of people who are interested in NVIDIA's products, whether they be their chipsets (NF3 250gb, NF2) or their video cards. But cursing NVIDIA for making one bad line is like millions of people worldwide ditching Honda because they made one bad model of an accord - it just doesn't make sense.

As for me, let me re-iterate that I do not favor either NVIDIA or ATI. I simply shop smart. I will admit that I do look at reviews, but I take them with a grain of salt. Only a fool would take other people's opinions verbatim. My problem with your post was simply that you did not provide any type of objective arguments in regards to the new line of products, just a bunch of "I think." To be fair, I will admit that I did assume that you bought your video card (as most of us do), but aside from that I keep my personal feelings at the door and away from the computer.

Lastly, I am still unsure as to which next gen card I will be interested in. Only time will tell. I will look at benchmarks and real world performance from both sides and make a decision that fits me. If people ask me for advice or help on these forums, I won't say "BUY THIS HERE NOW" but instead I will always try to present a logical argument in favor of two or more options. In terms of this thread discussion or others between you and me in the future: we can either hold hands and talk like gentlemen or I can continue to speak out against purely subjective "I feel..." posts. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,

deception`` :p
 

Hellion

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Location
HELL, were else?
deception`` said:
1. First of all....I'm black and very educated and I fail to realize how race has become and issue here....

2. I see no point in sugar-coating my opinions.

3. *sapphire* is not a "side-show retailer" as you call them. They are a third party distributor of ATI's video cards

4.but aside from that I keep my personal feelings at the door and away from the computer.

1. It is a self made metophor...dont know that words spelling.

2. Exaclty, thats what i did.

3. your just..rewording what i said.

4.right. like you did with me?


5. F*^*ing forget about it.

This is stupid, but imo you slightly hippocritical, I just forget things easily, but not when there typed down in front of me. :beer:
 

scott_55X

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Location
USA
Take a dart board. Put 4 logo's on it. 1. 6800 Ultra 2. GT 3. X800 Pro 4. X800XT

Throw the dart at the board, and wherever it lands you buy that card. The point is they are all good, and all have the performance for the upcoming games, and for some time to come.

You really can't go wrong with any of them, and price wise they are priced the same (Ultra / XT) (Pro / GT)
 

Black_Paladin

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Location
Boise, ID
scott_55X said:
Take a dart board. Put 4 logo's on it. 1. 6800 Ultra 2. GT 3. X800 Pro 4. X800XT

Throw the dart at the board, and wherever it lands you buy that card. The point is they are all good, and all have the performance for the upcoming games, and for some time to come.

You really can't go wrong with any of them, and price wise they are priced the same (Ultra / XT) (Pro / GT)

I got a better idea! Take a dart board. Put 4 logo's on it.
1. X800XT PE
2. X800XT PE
3. X800XT PE
4. X800XT PE
Throw the dart at the board, and wherever it lands you buy that card. The point is they are all good, and all have the performance for the upcoming games, and for some time to come.

You really can't go wrong with any of them, and price wise they are priced the same :D :D :beer:
 

Hellion

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Location
HELL, were else?
Black_Paladin said:
I got a better idea! Take a dart board. Put 4 logo's on it.
1. X800XT PE
2. X800XT PE
3. X800XT PE
4. X800XT PE
Throw the dart at the board, and wherever it lands you buy that card. The point is they are all good, and all have the performance for the upcoming games, and for some time to come.

You really can't go wrong with any of them, and price wise they are priced the same :D :D :beer:

I like your post better :D lol

PS: were did you get your avatar? mmmmm lol
 

Hellion

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Location
HELL, were else?
Th0r said:
Cut this out guys please *sighs*...

Already done.. i apologized before it even escaladed, hes just flame baiting me.

So forget about it I'll stop. period, even if he doesn't. It's all cool now, I just don't like being called stupid, a fool, or ignorent. I've worked for everything I have in my live and I've done it the whole time while someone like him is puting me down or telling me that I CAN'T do something, if you tell me I can't do something, its like tell gravity to stop working. It just doesn't happen. But I've learned to stop things on my own time...thats why I apologized after attacking him. It was just a stupid hot headed reaction :temper: that is my personality and ill try to clean up a little on the forums...just dont tell me I can't....and I wont. :cool:
 
Last edited:

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Location
UK
Best value for money at the moment is, IMO, x800pro VIVO - its cheaper than the gt (at least in the UK) and if you buy at the moment they can be converted straight from the box in the majority of cases straight into a fully fledged x800xt as theyre the same card with a different bios!!! However, soon they will all be noncovertable so the gt may well later emerge as the best budget card....
 

Indyxc1

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2002
Location
W. Lafayette, IN
How have ATI always been better than nvidia? It's been close in the last couple of years, but think back when 3dfx was around, and was the king with the monster 3d 2. NVIDIA was new and competing with the TNT, while ATI was pumping out crappy cards like [email protected] But that's beside the point

Everyone should be HAPPY that the market in not monopilized by ONE company, and that the competetion between NVIDIA and ATI pushes technology at a fast rate.

People argue about cards like it's there lively hood. 5 fps, who cares!
 

Hellion

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Location
HELL, were else?
Vrykyl said:
Best value for money at the moment is, IMO, x800pro VIVO - its cheaper than the gt (at least in the UK) and if you buy at the moment they can be converted straight from the box in the majority of cases straight into a fully fledged x800xt as theyre the same card with a different bios!!! However, soon they will all be noncovertable so the gt may well later emerge as the best budget card....

DOes any one have a link to a pro vivo? i keep hearing about these and want to look to see what every one keeps saying is the "value" card. please.