• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My nostalgia build - CPU problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MalZon

Registered
First of all, excuse my poor English. Google translate is worth its weight in gold...

I started my about 15 year old PC. It contains:
ASUS P5N-E SLI
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
2x 1Gb Samsung PC6400 DDR2
Gainward Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb
2x CD / DVD room
Total 4 fans
Old 40Gb 7200 disc
390w Chieftec PSU

It started without any problems and I got a real nostalgia trip when Windows XP booted up. I decided to use it in the garage so I put it there.

Now the fun began... I thought...
I thought I would try to buy old stuff to upgrade it with stuff you could never afford at the time, just for fun.
Checked some info about the motherboard, it supports 8Gb memory, Intel Quad Core, SLI etc.

Flashed BIOS to latest, 1406. Came across 4x 2Gb Corsair DDR2, an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 and is still trying to get a similar graphics card to be able to run SLI. Completely unnecessary nowadays, but it's coffee money for the parts today.

I started by buying a 256Gb SSD disk and installed Win 10, which worked well. Installed the main drivers. Updated BIOS to the latest and stuff like that.
Got home an Intel QX6850 and tried it. Uninstalled the old processor in the device manager and turned off the computer. Removed old CPU and inserted the "new". Removed the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS. Put the battery back and booted up.
The computer started up and sensed the new processor. Came into Windows and checked in CPU-Z, where there were only 2 cores and 2 threads. Hmm... Turned off and reset the BIOS one more time, booted up and now there were all 4 cores and 4 threads, nice!

Had been inside Windows for maybe 1 minute, the screen turned off and the computer restarted. Ok, wtf ?! No bluescreen or freezing.
Into windows again, but did not even make it to the desktop before it restarted again... What the facking hell?!
Tried a few more times but the same result. Same in safe mode, even if it lasts much longer.

Replaced the CPU to the old CPU again and reset the BIOS. No problems at all.
Switched to new one again, but started restarting right away again.

I have 2 theories.
* New CPUs. Broken? But could I even boot the computer with it broken? And most importantly get into Windows? The few times I get that far in the startup process before randomly rebooting.

* My PSU is too small. It is only 390w and is original with the computer case. If I bought a 600w ...?

Well... No blue screen, no error messages, no system freeze. The screen cuts out and the computer restarts.

Any ideas?

390W Chieftec PSU... yikes. Chieftec is better served to start fires than power your system. That may not be the problem, but I wouldn't run my system on that that psu.

Can you post an image of the label that shows the power breakdown? I'm assuming it's this one... ~340W available max in 12V....its old on top of jt... id look there sooner than later.
https://allegrolokalnie.pl/oferta/zasilacz-chieftec-390w-max

390W Chieftec PSU... yikes. Chieftec is better served to start fires than power your system. That may not be the problem, but I wouldn't run my system on that that psu.

Can you post an image of the label that shows the power breakdown? I'm assuming it's this one... ~340W available max in 12V....its old on top of jt... id look there sooner than later.
https://allegrolokalnie.pl/oferta/zasilacz-chieftec-390w-max
You right, its that one.

Attachments

• IMAG7073.jpg
    IMAG7073.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 151
Ok. New PSU, Corsair 650w installed. Same problem.

Sent email to seller of the CPU about the problem. It must be the new CPU probem?? All works well with my E6300.

I got answer from the seller:

Hello

I know you replaced the QX6850 with an E6300 upgrade. The difference between the two CPUs is dual-core and quad-core. 1066/1333MHZ. The problem of restarting after upgrading the 4-core CPU may be that your system driver is not compatible with QX6850. Or there are other problems that have not been resolved. Because once you can start the PC. Prove that the CPU is no problem.

You can try to reload a new system. Use QX6850 to reload the system and drivers. In addition, QX6850 supports Intel P45+ICH10R chipset motherboard. Your motherboard chipset is nVIDIA nForce650i SLI. There may be incompatibility issues.

thanks

So a new clean installation of OS?

It couldn't hurt to try...but usually switching processors shouldn't matter. That said, I've never removed it out of device manager either, so, not sure what that may have done (if anything).

In the middle of the installation of Win 10, the computer restarts and a text appears that it cannot find a disk with an OS on it.
Simply assuming it was not an installation reboot ... F*ck. Soon I will actually give up on this.

It does sound like a fun project. For what it's worth at this late stage, the symptoms that you list really did sound like a bad PSU. Since you replaced that with a (New?) one, that is ruled out.

Not finding a drive to install Win 10 could be a fault of the older hardware. What media are you using to install Win 10? USB drive? Some of the USB ports will run native from the North or Southbridge. Other ports may run from a seperate chip on the MB. In that case, look at the manual and make sure you are using a native USB port and not one on the seperate chipset. Same for SATA ports. Some will run native to the chipset and some will have a 3rd party chipset to run additional SATA ports. Connect your HDD/SSD to the SATA port recomended by your MB or from a port that is native to the chipset. Additionally, check the setting for your SATA port(s). AHCI or IDE immulation or RAID? AHCI would be my first choice.

Now i give up the QX. I switched back to my old E6300 CPU, installed Windows 10, shut down and switched to QX. The booted computer restarts just as before. Sees me defeated by what I have now anyway.
Have a Q6600 on the way and will test it.

Started thinking about the motherboard, what is the direct difference between the Asus P5N-E SLI and the P5N32-E SLI?

I got a Q6600 (officially supported) and a Q9400 (not officially supported) CPU on the way home.
Is there any known compability issue with a 1333mhz busCPU with DDR2-800mhz memory?

Old stuff i know...

I got a nostalgia build in my garage. My old PC.
Asus P5N-E SLI, C2D E6300, 2Gb ram, Geforce 8800GTS etc... I thinking to max out the hardware an use it in the garage.
I bought 4*2Gb ram 800-PC6400, Intel C2E QX6850 (about the coolest CPU that the motherboard supports after BIOS flash), Coolermaster towercooler, Corsair 650w PSU (from old 390w Chieftec) etc.

I can use the PC with m E6300 CPU, but when i put the QX6850 its continusly reboots without any warnings. I clear BIOS, underclocked, maxed out the Vcore and all that stuff bot just reboots, whatever i do. CPU is suported by the motherboard. When i swap to E6300 it all works perfectly again.
I hade mod a active cooling on the southbridge, checked ALL components on motherboard and it looks fine. And again, with E6300 all works fine.

I got a Q6600 (supported) and a Q9400 (not supported) on way hom that i will test if its woks.

What is that i miss with the QX6850?!

Back